• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

formantzero

I’ve got a question regarding the PEQ. I know with Sonarworks/SoundID, when you choose an EQ profile you also have to choose between three modes, one of which is linear phase which supposedly introduces the least amount of artifacts and preringing, at the cost of 110ms or so latency.

My question is, does doing PEQ in the DAC itself avoid these sorts of issues? Or does it just move the latency and sound quality degradation into the hardware domain? Would it add appreciable latency?

I’m considering switching my MOTU 624/8D stack to an RME ADI-2 Pro FS when the new version comes out, if indeed doing PEQ at the DAC side is advantageous.

I know Rob Watts has gone on and on about how his tone controls on the Mojo2 are groundbreaking because they don’t degrade SQ. Does that mean all other PEQs do, by definition? I bought a pair of Meze Lirics and would love to be able to correct them a bit in a desktop environment. Connecting my Mojo2 as a DAC feeding into my THX 789 (single ended input) feels a bit weird and inefficient.

Also, the Mojo2 doesn’t even let you choose the bands — they’re fixed. And the two interior bands are shelf filters only, which seems absurd that they wouldn’t allow you to work with a peak or notch filter at least, even if they don’t allow selectable cutoff and Q.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve got a question regarding the PEQ. I know with Sonarworks/SoundID, when you choose an EQ profile you also have to choose between three modes, one of which is linear phase which supposedly introduces the least amount of artifacts and preringing, at the cost of 110ms or so latency.

My question is, does doing PEQ in the DAC itself avoid these sorts of issues? Or does it just move the latency and sound quality degradation into the hardware domain? Would it add appreciable latency?

I’m considering switching my MOTU 624/8D stack to an RME ADI-2 Pro FS when the new version comes out, if indeed doing PEQ at the DAC side is advantageous.

I know Rob Watts has gone on and on about how his tone controls on the Mojo2 are groundbreaking because they don’t degrade SQ. Does that mean all other PEQs do, by definition? I bought a pair of Meze Lirics and would love to be able to correct them a bit in a desktop environment. Connecting my Mojo2 as a DAC feeding into my THX 789 (single ended input) feels a bit weird and inefficient.

Also, the Mojo2 doesn’t even let you choose the bands — they’re fixed. And the two interior bands are shelf filters only, which seems absurd that they wouldn’t allow you to work with a peak or notch filter at least, even if they don’t allow selectable cutoff and Q.
I suggest you give yourself a try, to check if you're able to hear some difference between FIR and IIR filters/EQ.
It should be easy:
Download a trial version of Cockos Reaper, upload your favorite wav file, and then apply filter using first FIR and then IIR method.
The tricky part will be to carefully match them for both exact same FR and level (which may be done with REW, using reaper as a loopback ASIO "effect" engine. You may also be able to measure added latency with both method.).
Then save as a wav file with both methods, giving them a name including the method.
Then upload both of those wav into Foobar's ABX tool and do the test.
It will tell you if you're able to (consistently) hear a difference with statistical relevance.

The problem with FIR EQ is delay. And the lower in frequency you'll want to correct (with a given frequency granularity), the longer the delay will be.
The ADI-2, like your current interface, is designed with (very) low latency as a design target. This is an absolute requirement for musicians doing live monitoring.
Here, we can go down to the ms order of magnitude.

Also, you want to hear immediately the impact of your EQ change.

Last edited:

Strumbringer

I've wondered why Chord does not allow user adjustments to their EQ/filters (at least, I think they do not-never owned a Chord product). The reason I got the RME ADI2 DAC is the same as many have already posted; the ability to tweak to my tastes. I've read the Chord DACs (Mojo, Hugo, TT, etc.) are (in the opinion of many) better sounding than RME, but I continue to be curious if the filters would be "good enough" for my tastes, after being so enamored by the flexibility of my RMD ADI2 DAC?

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've wondered why Chord does not allow user adjustments to their EQ/filters (at least, I think they do not-never owned a Chord product). The reason I got the RME ADI2 DAC is the same as many have already posted; the ability to tweak to my tastes. I've read the Chord DACs (Mojo, Hugo, TT, etc.) are (in the opinion of many) better sounding than RME, but I continue to be curious if the filters would be "good enough" for my tastes, after being so enamored by the flexibility of my RMD ADI2 DAC?
I strongly doubt, that the Chord DACs sound superior to the ADI-2. All should be transparent beyond the threshold of human hearing and therefore should sound indistinguishable from each other. No proper conducted blind test has proven otherwise yet.

And of course the possibilies of the ADI-2 are a different ball game compared to the Chord DACs.

Soria Moria

Hi,

i want to "upgrade" my topping E30 dac with something better (pricier :) )
Should i get this rme aldi 2 (the first version with the akm chip) or the topping D70bt ?
I lean towards the D70 because of its more diverse inputs but... should i care it has I2S input for example ? I read good things about the D70 on this site, the measurements are very good but i don't know how it fares against the aldi 2.
Does the EQ of the Aldi 2 offer a bigger advantage over a standard dac without this feature? Does one use it on daily basis to justify this feature?
I mention that i don't use or care for headphones...

thx
Why the AKM version specifically?

C. Cook

With my speakers, the EQ on the ADI-2 makes all the difference and it's a good HP amp.

lordwerther

Why the AKM version specifically?
this version was available from a local seller... : ) i don't think is much difference compared to the other chip version...
anyway, was a good choice compared to topping d70 i think.
the rme adi 2 dac fs is miles over topping e30 ! worth every penny!

roog

Forum Donor
I use my RME ADI-2 DAC as a DAC pre amp feeding a power amp, I make use of the PEQ every time I use it, and whilst the option to buy a DAC fitted with Dirac is an attractive proposition I have yet to justify the change and extra expense.

My main reason for buying the RME is its DSP EQ capability.

Nikolaos

I use my RME ADI-2 DAC as a DAC pre amp feeding a power amp, I make use of the PEQ every time I use it, and whilst the option to buy a DAC fitted with Dirac is an attractive proposition I have yet to justify the change and extra expense.

My main reason for buying the RME is its DSP EQ capability.
Hi I am using RME ADI 2 DAC FS with KRELL FPB 300CX and lumin U1 mini transport streamer. I am trying to set EQ without using the software RWE and a mic are there any suggestions. Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi I am using RME ADI 2 DAC FS with KRELL FPB 300CX and lumin U1 mini transport streamer. I am trying to set EQ without using the software RWE and a mic are there any suggestions. Thanks
Yes, I have suggestions. Start increasing and decreasing the adjustments in any way you see logical/fit and find a setting that you like more than with no PEQ. There's no rules or procedure. It's just a matter of digging in and trying new stuff.

Trell

Major Contributor

As @Doodski says: Just try it out.

Do note that REW can be helpful without using a mic as you can play a tone sweep and listen for obvious increase in loudness at some frequencies, typically in the bass, that you can knock down. REW also can do some modelling to help where you possibly can have increased bass (room modes) by inputting room dimensions, MLP, and so forth.

There are also pre-made tone sweep files on the internet that you can download, or just create your own.

roog

Forum Donor
I use REW, and in my case I found that both the room simulation mode and taking live readings with a calibrated mic gave similar results. I started by targeting the main feature, a pronounced bass peak at 49Hz, dialling a ‘scoop out‘ at this frequency on the RME using its PEQ Function. Once I have adjusted the attenuation and Q setting I save this to a preset. Then go on to target other lesser issues then save. And so on for each of the noticeable issues. The use of REW allows targeted adjustment rather than tweaking it by ear. IMO there are too many variables to just do it completely by ear.

Armed with a number of increasingly sophisticated PEQ profiles I can switch between them while listening. I have found that using the least DSP that will do the job gives best results. A technique supported by the RME moderators on their helpful forum. In fact even they will argue that interpreting the results and altering your listening position is the best way and not using the DSP if you don’t need to. For me the optimum is to just deal with the big bass peak And not worry about the higher frequency issues. Every room will give different results, in my experience REW really helps to narrow down the issues.

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor

I have an RPi 3 with a 7” touch screen and Allo digione running Picoreplayer feeding my RME adi-2 DAC which directly drives my Naim NAP300 dr power amp.

The RME DAC in my system acts as my digital pre, volume control, EQ and basic room correction and headphone amplifier it is the heart of everything, not many DACs I have seen can do this in such a neat package, it’s a great bit of kit.

Last edited:

04gto

Is there any word on an updated version, given the new 2/4 is coming out as well?
I have been following along on RME forums for years, there is no update of the RME ADI-2 DAC pending, at least not publicly. Also as that relates to the RME ADI-2 PRO series, the 2/4 is not an update, but a different 'special' model that will be produced in limited batches. Not limited numbers, but limited batches. It is not intended as a replacement or update to the RME ADI-2 PRO, despite the similarities. The RME ADI-2 DAC, PRO and 2/4 will all continue as separate models. All according to official RME posts.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any word on an updated version, given the new 2/4 is coming out as well?
There is a dedicated thread for it.

InfiniteNacho

I have been following along on RME forums for years, there is no update of the RME ADI-2 DAC pending, at least not publicly. Also as that relates to the RME ADI-2 PRO series, the 2/4 is not an update, but a different 'special' model that will be produced in limited batches. Not limited numbers, but limited batches. It is not intended as a replacement or update to the RME ADI-2 PRO, despite the similarities. The RME ADI-2 DAC, PRO and 2/4 will all continue as separate models. All according to official RME posts.
Realistically if I want something for movies, music, and gaming to pair with higher end headphones ($1.5-$2k) and powered desktop monitors, is the adi 2 dac going to be enough....or has there been enough progress in the last few years since release that i should consider waiting or going for the 2/4 given it can also do a/d for an external mic? I don't know what RME's typical refresh cadence is either---as in is it likely something new will release in the next 6-9 months

Looking at measurements from recent releases from SMSL and Topping, they seem to be blowing RME away. I know it's not all noticeable in the real world, though.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at measurements from recent releases from SMSL and Topping, they seem to be blowing RME away. I know it's not all noticeable in the real world, though.
If you mean higher SINAD that is true in max volume. If you connect them into an amplifier and reduce the volume say -20 dB, the story is very different. See below.

Top Bottom