• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Music1969 I think what Booker means is using the iTunes App to upload WAV files from a PC or mac to an iPhone via USB.
I did that once with a 1kHz sine file to measure THD+N of a dongle and got the same -117dB with it playing from a iPhone (Music app) and from an Android phone (UAPP).
The file size and type stayed the same after uploading to the iPhone, so I don't think there's any transcoding going on.
Strange that the RME Bit test still fails for other people.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that Apple Music might be doing something to alter the data in some manner with iOS devices.

This thread over at RME's official support forum goes over it and is the best resource I have been able to find.

A while back I tried a null analysis using DeltaWave and found a strange artifact being added:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...d-hi-res-mess/?do=findComment&comment=1144521

image.png.d54826fcb6a92be4627d0294388e6556.png

Booker

Forum Donor
Are you sure uploading files to Apple Music iCloud is not .wav --> lossy aac ?
Just drag and drop to iTunes (Windows), but I checked via mconnect on iPhone yesterday, and it shows 256kbps in AAC
Is there a way how to upload my music to iCloud, that will stay at least lossless and played via the Apple Music app?

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just drag and drop to iTunes (Windows), but I checked via mconnect on iPhone yesterday, and it shows 256kbps in AAC
This is why it fails bit perfect test

When I play from Music app on macOS, RME test files pass bit perfect test if I adjust Audio MIDI sample rates to mach manually.

Here the files are stored locally in ALAC - not uploaded to iCloud for me.

Is there a way how to upload my music to iCloud, that will stay at least lossless and played via the Apple Music app?
Not via Apple Music app - not possible.

You can upload to iCloud folder and use Onkyo HiFi player on iOS and play iCloud music files and it will pass bit perfect test

rangs641

Hi Folks, I'm trying to connect my sound blaster ae-9 sound card to RME ADI-2 DAC using a 1 male to 2 male coaxial cable, but I'm not able to get any sound from my hd800s headphones that are connected to RME ADI-2.

I changed the output to speakers on sound blaster command center and set it to stereo. On the RME dac, I set i/o to spdif coax. I tried other config also, but I'm not able to get any sound. RME's Usb connection to my desktop works fine.

Any suggestions please? Will this even work?

sonitus mirus

Hi Folks, I'm trying to connect my sound blaster ae-9 sound card to RME ADI-2 DAC using a 1 male to 2 male coaxial cable, but I'm not able to get any sound from my hd800s headphones that are connected to RME ADI-2.

I changed the output to speakers on sound blaster command center and set it to stereo. On the RME dac, I set i/o to spdif coax. I tried other config also, but I'm not able to get any sound. RME's Usb connection to my desktop works fine.

Any suggestions please? Will this even work?

From what I understand after seeing the sound card online, you might be trying to connect analog audio outputs from the card to the DAC. The DAC needs a digital input to do its thing.

rangs641

From what I understand after seeing the sound card online, you might be trying to connect analog audio outputs from the card to the DAC. The DAC needs a digital input to do its thing.
Yeah that's what was doing. Wanted to make use of surround sound output from my card and also to see how the sound blaster dac output would change the sound on the RME ADI-2. I guess analog audio ports won't work in this case?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that's what was doing. Wanted to make use of surround sound output from my card and also to see how the sound blaster dac output would change the sound on the RME ADI-2. I guess analog audio ports won't work in this case?
Correct. Its not an interface- the ADI 2 Pro is, but thats a different beast. But even that isnt going to decode surround sound

lordwerther

Hi,

i want to "upgrade" my topping E30 dac with something better (pricier :) )
Should i get this rme aldi 2 (the first version with the akm chip) or the topping D70bt ?
I lean towards the D70 because of its more diverse inputs but... should i care it has I2S input for example ? I read good things about the D70 on this site, the measurements are very good but i don't know how it fares against the aldi 2.
Does the EQ of the Aldi 2 offer a bigger advantage over a standard dac without this feature? Does one use it on daily basis to justify this feature?
I mention that i don't use or care for headphones...

thx

Trell

Major Contributor
Does the EQ of the Aldi 2 offer a bigger advantage over a standard dac without this feature? Does one use it on daily basis to justify this feature?

Absolutely, and another great feature is the configurable dynamic loudness for when you are not listening so loud.

I own the ADI-2 DAC FS and its DSP features like PEQ, dynamic loudness and bass/treble controls is major reasons why I bought it.

Fordski

Absolutely, and another great feature is the configurable dynamic loudness for when you are not listening so loud.

I own the ADI-2 DAC FS and its DSP features like PEQ, dynamic loudness and bass/treble controls is major reasons why I bought it.
I'm with you! I bought the RME ADI-2 and find the configurable loudness and EQ features to be the most important features for me. While I use Roon and all its DSP features I appreciate the Loudness feature while using Roon, and when using other streaming services the PEQ on the ADI-2 is a very welcome feature. The flexibility of this equipment is amazing.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Same

sjeesjie

I just bought it and I’m loving it. I’m in it for the fancy equalizer graphics :cool:

Oh one very handy feature is the way you can volume match it with your other devices if any. I have it at the same level as my cd player, that was an eye opener I can tell you!

First I thought the cd player was just a bit crispier, more dynamic sound wise. But then I did some carefull volume matching and guess what? Both dacs sound the same. Mind is blown.

Top Bottom