• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
+1. I guess its easy for people to just blame Windows. If $100 USB DACs are plug-and-play, there is no excuse for more expensive units to be at the same level.

I beg to differ. If you are «same same» (copycat) you add no (apart from lower price/better features) value. If you twist the design, you may add value.

Windows, as a philosophy, is the root of the problems, not the creativeness.

This is a complex issue, however. I don’t have the truth to offer...

Wombat

Master Contributor
There is a USB Standard. They should comply if USB connectivity is included in the product.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There is a USB Standard. They should comply if USB connectivity is included in the product.
True, but the question arises, where does the problem exist, with the product design or the operating system?
Since 90% of the Class 2 audio products are plugNplay under recent (last 5? years) Linux and Apple OS's but bugs exist when plugged into Win10, where would you point the finger. Win10 support of Class 2 USB sound cards is less than a year old and still very sketchy IMO.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ive-class-2-usb-audio-support-wait-what-r647/

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I will try the ADI-2 with Windows asap, very impressed with it so far.
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
True, but the question arises, where does the problem exist, with the product design or the operating system?
Specs are paper proposals and they invariably have gray areas. The "code" is the proof and "gold standard." When studios create Blu-rays for example, they will test it on a few key players and if it works there, they are done. PS3 used to be this standard. Doesn't matter if there is a bug in their titles. If it plays on PS3, it is the job of other companies to make their hardware "bug for bug" compatible with PS3.

D

Deleted member 65

Since 90% of the Class 2 audio products are plugNplay under recent (last 5? years) Linux and Apple OS's but bugs exist when plugged into Win10, where would you point the finger. Win10 support of Class 2 USB sound cards is less than a year old and still very sketchy IMO.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ive-class-2-usb-audio-support-wait-what-r647/

Here's a possible clue:

Recent update for Windows 10 1709 KB4090913 - Addresses issue where some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard, or mouse, stop working.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What's the ETA of the measurements?
Not sure. I am so swamped with gear that I am not seeing the end of the tunnel. :) My priority is to get through the loaned gear first and test some non-DAC products. So I would say we are least a week or two out.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure. I am so swamped with gear that I am not seeing the end of the tunnel. :) My priority is to get through the loaned gear first and test some non-DAC products. So I would say we are least a week or two out.
That's what happens when you ask for gear to measure! Just measure the RME as everyone is interested! I'm seriously considering one for my JBL 708P system but need to see measurements against the Topping first. The measurements from RME are quite impressive!

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what happens when you ask for gear to measure! Just measure the RME as everyone is interested! I'm seriously considering one for my JBL 708P system but need to see measurements against the Topping first. The measurements from RME are quite impressive!

Do you really think that any improvement in measurement over the Topping DX7/s will be audible? Or are you looking for comparable measurements and there are some features only the RME has that you want? Just curious.

Sythrix

It seems like this conversation has diverged somewhat into being about both the Pro and the standalone DAC version. Based on the specs from the website, it looks like the new ADI-2 DAC will be different hardware altogether and not just a cut down Pro. So my assumption is that the ADI-2 Pro that Amir is measuring and the new ADI-2 DAC will not be directly comparable, even when only considering the DAC and not the ADC.

So while I'm eagerly awaiting your review of the Pro as well Amir, I'm far more likely to actually afford the one that you won't be reviewing. Has anyone contacted you about a ADI-2 DAC for you to also review? Sorry if this has already been asked, but I see it's not on your TODO list (yet).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They say the changes did not modify the measurements. So in that regard, the same data should hold for both.

Someone said they knew a local friend that had both versions but there was no follow up after I expressed interest in measuring it.

Sythrix

They say the changes did not modify the measurements. So in that regard, the same data should hold for both.

Someone said they knew a local friend that had both versions but there was no follow up after I expressed interest in measuring it.

That is encouraging, I'm sure it will be similar then.

I was just looking at the website and saw there were differences like the 768 kHz freq response support for outputs and a higher channel separation on XLR, etc and figured they must have updated the internal hardware. However I'll admit I don't really understand most of the specifications.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hype. Cannot be 'even more perfect'. Perfect is perfect, there is no more or less. o_O

Sythrix

Here is what they say:

View attachment 11203

Reading it again, I am not sure why they say it can't be measured if there is a new buffer amp for less noise and THD.

Yes... it seems almost a certainty that it will be different. Even if that difference turns out to be favorable, as they say.

Occamsrazor

There is also a supposedly improved version of their Steadyclock in the DAC version, but really I would imagine the DAC vs PRO are pretty comparable as D/A converters.

Top Bottom