• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC

Wombat

Master Contributor
Seems like the new one is perfecter.

"It is hard to measure" - for whom? Nonsense.

Measurement capability of audio signals is far more sensitive than the human ear. What goes on in the listener's mind is the subjective experience. Don't confuse real world measurement with individual neural processing.

The recent influx of members(DAC driven, probably) seems to show a significant carry-over of a lack of differentiation in this regard., attributing their experience to the products.
Individual perception is only that, unless methodical testing shows a wider, verifiable, conformance to that view.

Let's maintain the rational /factual( rather than opinionated/fictional) approach of this forum which is its reason for being.:cool:

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is admirable to try and improve a design, whether those improvements will be audible is entirely another question.
I can’t ‘hear’ any differences between the two DACs, personally I would buy on features that you require.
I would like to see a remote for the PRO version, Matthias if you are listening...
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hype. Cannot be 'even more perfect'. Perfect is perfect, there is no more or less. o_O
"More perfect" is perfect + some magic dust. Seems like audio folks everywhere but here understand that simple math. :confused::p

Rthomas

Forum Donor
Patiently waiting for the review to drop this week! Will order for sure as long as the performance matches the premium price.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"More perfect" is perfect + some magic dust. Seems like audio folks everywhere but here understand that simple math. :confused::p

Be classy Sal.

You are referring to Super-Perfect, Uber-Perfect and Ultra-Perfect for those more perfect than perfect devices.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

1 + 1 = 3 for very large values of 1. Every advanced mathematician and quantum physicist knows that. Duh. :)

We'un hairy-knuckled low-brow engineers, less conversant with Limit Theory and Quantum Mechanics, know it depends upon how you round things:

1.4 + 1.4 =(round) 1 + 1 = 2 -- but --
1.4 + 1.4 = 2.8 =(round) 3​

Always keep as much precision as possible until the final result.
And don't confuse precision with accuracy.

I like the pretty blinking lights.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is what they say:

View attachment 11203

Reading it again, I am not sure why they say it can't be measured if there is a new buffer amp for less noise and THD.
I read it as in isolation they have improved the analogue side, but once you feed it from the DAC chip any improvement is so far down it no longer shows up. It's up to the individual as to decide it that's marketing BS, or engineers fixing things that ain't broke.

Sythrix

I read it as in isolation they have improved the analogue side, but once you feed it from the DAC chip any improvement is so far down it no longer shows up. It's up to the individual as to decide it that's marketing BS, or engineers fixing things that ain't broke.

Depends. If they have audio analyzers (which I'm sure they do), then they would be able to determine if there was any improvement in the areas they mentioned. What I'm hoping is that even if it was a marginal or needless improvement, it hasn't affected the DAC in other undesirable ways... although I don't know how it would (or if a change like this could) manage to affect anything worth mentioning besides what they already have.

I choose to remain optimistic and wait patiently for the upcoming review/s, where we will be able to clearly see the differences (if any) between the two units.

Rthomas

Forum Donor
Hi @amirm

Any teaser for us on this unit's performance?

I have high hopes. Hopefully it's not a let down like the Exasound....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm

Any teaser for us on this unit's performance?

I have high hopes. Hopefully it's not a let down like the Exasound....
I only did one test which was linearity: in that one instant, it did not do as well as Topping DACs. But please don't run with this. I need to repeat the test and make sure it was not a fluke.

The unit is difficult to use outside of its Auto mode with tons and tons of menus. This slowed me down from performing more tests and verifying things. For normal use the Auto mode is fine. But I need to verify settings/levels, etc. and for that, it is rather daunting to get into the myriad of menus.

Sythrix

I only did one test which was linearity: in that one instant, it did not do as well as Topping DACs. But please don't run with this. I need to repeat the test and make sure it was not a fluke.

The unit is difficult to use outside of its Auto mode with tons and tons of menus. This slowed me down from performing more tests and verifying things. For normal use the Auto mode is fine. But I need to verify settings/levels, etc. and for that, it is rather daunting to get into the myriad of menus.

Take all the time you need to get accurate results Amir, seriously. We're all patient people.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes those are a super set of measurements, the dac itself is straightforward to use and incredibly versatile, I like it!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
More RME stock has just arrived, both ADI-DAC2 and the ADI PRO2 ( FS) version!

Keith

Top Bottom