• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What’s in the box,

Keih

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Linear power supplies are not required!

Keith

fitero

Very interesting. They've added a number of useful DSP functions allowing more flexibility when used as a preamp as well.

I'm curious to read impressions with regard to sound quality and ease of use.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is incredibly easy to use, the unit senses what is connected operation is very similar to the ADI-PRO 2 , it sounds great, I think Amir might have ordered a unit for testing?
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Keith, is it plug-and-play in Windows? On mine, it got recognized by Windows but it did not instantiate any audio devices. I had to install their drivers. Once I did, it only advertised 44.1 kHz and no other sampling rate! Never seen that before.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ohhhh!
Let’s hope it lives up to expectations !
A almost totally Apple here, I will try it on one of my sons’ PCs.

Keith

Last edited:

Occamsrazor

Looking forward to your impressions! I couldn't wait any longer so just ordered the DAC version, but it will be a week or two until it arrives to me.
Therefore please ensure your reviews are suitably glowing even if it's crap :) :)

zenmastering

I noted something similar when installing the ADI-2 Pro drivers and had to re-start the computer. Now it recognizes all rates up to 768KHz.

Keith, is it plug-and-play in Windows? On mine, it got recognized by Windows but it did not instantiate any audio devices. I had to install their drivers. Once I did, it only advertised 44.1 kHz and no other sampling rate! Never seen that before.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A almost totally Apple here, I will try it on one of my sons PCs.

Seems like those USB drivers that Micro$oft added to Win 10 a bit back are still sketchy. Units that are recognized without issue on Apple and Linux still hit and miss on Windoz.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I noted something similar when installing the ADI-2 Pro drivers and had to re-start the computer. Now it recognizes all rates up to 768KHz.
Thanks. Good to know. I will start and see what happens. I also read the manual and it says it is USB class 2 compliant so there should have been no need for drivers.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Seems like those USB drivers that Micro$oft added to Win 10 a bit back are still sketchy. Units that are recognized without issue on Apple and Linux still hit and miss on Windoz.
These intermittent problems could be anywhere from hardware implementation in my laptop to said drivers and the device. Good or bad or indifferent though, manufacturers need to work around any bugs they find and make their devices solidly reliable. Or document that they are not and why not.

When I worked for hardware companies that produced PC peripherals we always hired a testing lab for $20K or so to test compatibility. The shops we used had 70+ PCs to test against. We would give them device and a verification suite which they would run against them. Invariably we would find 20% of them not working and we would have to work around their bugs or ours. I suspect many of these companies don't do this.

If they used already tested hardware this would be less of an issue but I don't think RME uses an off-the-shelf solution.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
These intermittent problems could be anywhere from hardware implementation in my laptop to said drivers and the device. Good or bad or indifferent though, manufacturers need to work around any bugs they find and make their devices solidly reliable. Or document that they are not and why not.

When I worked for hardware companies that produced PC peripherals we always hired a testing lab for $20K or so to test compatibility. The shops we used had 70+ PCs to test against. We would give them device and a verification suite which they would run against them. Invariably we would find 20% of them not working and we would have to work around their bugs or ours. I suspect many of these companies don't do this.

If they used already tested hardware this would be less of an issue but I don't think RME uses an off-the-shelf solution.

For a good report on faulty products, take a look at this thread on Antelope Goliath HD. At $7000 it’s an unfinished product.

It has issues with different chip sets!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1165852-antelope-audio-goliath-hd-issues.html

Again, it works fine with Mac (there is only one Mac but thousands of PCs, which makes PC issues complicated if not complex). And this shows again that aMac is cheap if time is money (which it is if you’re an audio professional).

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good or bad or indifferent though, manufacturers need to work around any bugs they find and make their devices solidly reliable. Or document that they are not and why not.

+1. I guess its easy for people to just blame Windows. If $100 USB DACs are plug-and-play, there is no excuse for more expensive units to be at the same level.

Top Bottom