• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC FS - AKM Versus ESS Measurements (DAC, Preamp & Headamp)

Holmz

Major Contributor
More data:

As expected, cheaper Topping performs worse.
RME UCX II is doing pretty good.

At that level, you'd have 2,4% THD for the G5 and 0.4% for the D90LE.
And THD would be close to 0 (<0.01%) for the RMEs.
And i thought it was all just 1s and zeros… :rolleyes:

Because of the formatting I ask, is the one without the hole by the power supply connection the newer ESS chip model? Thanks

alekksander

excellent measurement raport. helped me with the decision. bought used AKM version cause it was available for reasonable price locally. nice device over all. not a big fan of it's display, but it's not that bad. wish auto dark mode leaves some sort of indicator that helps to recognize if the device is even plugged-in. and auto–on on signal would be also VERY desired.

Last edited:

Anton S

excellent measurements. helped me with the decision. bought used AKM version cause it was available for reasonable price locally. nice device over all. not a big fan of it's display, but it's not that bad. wish auto dark mode leaves some sort of indicator that helps to recognize if the device is even plugged-in. and auto–on on signal would be also VERY desired.
If the display is intrusive, you can just turn the brightness down low instead of using auto dark. It's adjustable from 20% to 100%. Default is 80%.

alekksander

If the display is intrusive, you can just turn the brightness down low instead of using auto dark. It's adjustable from 20% to 100%. Default is 80%.
done that, but 20% is still not enought for me. also rings could be slightly dimmed. probably have to change placement of the unit so it doesnt point at my face.

Last edited:

Svperstar

I absolutely love my RME-ADI 2.

I've been in the market for a balanced solid state amp that has end game power for ANYTHING you could throw at it. I heard the HE-6 at a meetup and my SP200 barely powered it properly.

Has anyone else got a crazy powerful balance solid state amp to pair with the RME ADI-2? What did you settle on?

D!sco

I imagine any of the THX amps or top grade toppings will do it for you. Schiit's going for up to 5W class AB on some of theirs now with perfect measurements (or tubes)

Svperstar

I imagine any of the THX amps or top grade toppings will do it for you. Schiit's going for up to 5W class AB on some of theirs now with perfect measurements (or tubes)
I own a THX SP200, not strong enough. I've been on the fence about Violectric amps for months. The Schiit Midgard came out of nowhere and seems to check all the boxes.

I own a THX SP200, not strong enough. I've been on the fence about Violectric amps for months. The Schiit Midgard came out of nowhere and seems to check all the boxes.
I just tried my Midgard with the HE6se yesterday and it did very well. With the ADI-2 DAC set at -10db on the volume dial I was between 50% and 75% on the Midgard’s pot depending on the volume level of the music.

ArturoKiwi

Great comparisons and really a great work!
I always think that RME dac has a very good implementation and a used one cost more or less as a new Topping or SMSL but they are more reliable.
What stop me to buy it is that I'm afraid of the EQ. Absolutely a great feature, but I'm afraid that I'll not use it because of the difficulty to set it up.

Svperstar

I always think that RME dac has a very good implementation and a used one cost more or less as a new Topping or SMSL but they are more reliable.
What stop me to buy it is that I'm afraid of the EQ. Absolutely a great feature, but I'm afraid that I'll not use it because of the difficulty to set it up.
It's easy to setup with the Remote app, you can import EQ settings

ArturoKiwi

It's easy to setup with the Remote app, you can import EQ settings
I'll going to search some tutorial to understand the how to.
Thanks for the information

gvl

Major Contributor

The EQ functionality on the device is not too difficult even when using physical controls but you need to know your target EQ settings. For headphones this usually means finding them from the measurements someone else did, which is even if not final is a good starting point. For speakers you’ll need to perform measurements in your room with a mic and a software package such as REW that can get a bit technical. I suppose what I’m trying to say if your main use case is headphones then EQ is easy, speakers require more work and understanding of the technicalities.

I use the EQ less with headphones; but set the crossfeed feature to 1 or 2; and change filter selections now and then. Currently set to NOS and I'm using Neumann NDH-30 headphones through the Midgard using the RME as DAC and pre to a point. Everything sounds great. The Midgard is a little easier on the ears mids on up compared to the RME, material dependent. Personally, there is a curve to learn how to use the RME. I'm no keener, maybe a geek at best, but I've mastered the RME and it's a cakewalk now. I always say to folks, if I can do it, anyone can! :)

ArturoKiwi

The EQ functionality on the device is not too difficult even when using physical controls but you need to know your target EQ settings. For headphones this usually means finding them from the measurements someone else did, which is even if not final is a good starting point. For speakers you’ll need to perform measurements in your room with a mic and a software package such as REW that can get a bit technical. I suppose what I’m trying to say if your main use case is headphones then EQ is easy, speakers require more work and understanding of the technicalities.
I would like to use it for the speaker 90% of the times

ArturoKiwi

Then you'll need a measurement microphone and ramp up on REW. This is no rocket science but there is a learning curve, you can find a tutorial that should get you going.
I read something in the past, but I didn't understand was which house curve use.

If I'll use REW, then I'll need to export the filter file and import it in Remote app. Is it right?

gvl

Major Contributor
I read something in the past, but I didn't understand was which house curve use.

If I'll use REW, then I'll need to export the filter file and import it in Remote app. Is it right?

I haven’t used the remote app yet, I think it’s relatively new. The old way of doing things was to have REW generate PEQ settings based on your measurements and the target curve and then enter them by hand on the RME.

ArturoKiwi

I haven’t used the remote app yet, I think it’s relatively new. The old way of doing things was to have REW generate PEQ settings based on your measurements and the target curve and then enter them by hand on the RME.
Which target curve do you use?

gvl

Major Contributor
Which target curve do you use?

None at the moment as I’ve been lazy to EQ my last acquired speakers and they sound pretty good even w/out EQ. I used the Harman curve in the past if memory serves, you want the room response to tilt down with frequency otherwise speakers sound too bright. It may even have been a default preset in REW that looked reasonable out of the box, it’s been a while… Start with something established like harman and see if you like it, you can and should fine tune to taste.

You don’t need to buy the RME to play with EQ/REW, just use a PC software player that supports PEQ or convolution filters.

Top Bottom