• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC or Purifi in a 2.1 system

mitasr

My current setup is: SMSL A300, SMSL DO100, Wiim Mini, Elac Debut Dbr62, Svs-SB1000 Pro. I’d like to change the A300 with a Hypex NC or Purifi amp with a sub out to drive a 2.1 system. What choice do I have?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you need the ability to high-pass your Mains, or are you ok with running them full-range and using the SB1000's built-in low pass filter to match their natural low frequency roll-off?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Which way is better ?
A configurable high-pass filter can give you better sound quality once set up properly (REW + UMIK-1), but it also seriously limits your choices. Most Hypex/Purifi Amps don't have that.

OP
M

mitasr

Guess I will have to go with the LPF of the SVS then. What available amps then?

drewdawg999

If budget is a consideration then Hypex may be good enough. Audiophonics looks good for that. If you have more to spend then March Purifi amps look mighty fine to me. You might go for the low wattage version, P262.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Guess I will have to go with the LPF of the SVS then.
In that case, you could do something like this:
Blank diagram (15).png

Volume control would be handled by the DAC, or the Wiim Mini.
For the Amp, I'd take a look at NC122MP or NC252MP models from Audiophonics, Nord Acoustics, Buckeye Amps, March Audio, VTV Amplifier, etc.

Last edited:
OP
M

mitasr

One more: Does the NC250 a little overkill for the Elac Dbr62?

OP
M

mitasr

Actually thinking back now, if I decide the run full range to the mains then there would be some overlap between the woofers of the Elac and the sub, right?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Actually thinking back now, if I decide the run full range to the mains then there would be some overlap between the woofers of the Elac and the sub, right?
Not really as you can use the SVS's configurable LPF (frequency and slope) so that there's a perfect crossover to the Elacs (in terms of frequency response).
Again, a UMIK-1 and REW help with this.

The disadvantage of not having a high pass filter is that the crossover frequency is dictated by the Elac's stock frequency response and so you cannot optimize that for potentially lower distortion.

Last edited:
OP
M

mitasr

I saw that Audiophonics has the

DA-S250NC Class D Integrated Amplifier NCore NC252MP DAC​

which has a RCA output that can connect to an active subwoofer. The only thing is it has a DAC integrated which I don’t need since I’ve already had the Smsl DO100. Can I bypass this integrated DAC if use with the Smsl DAC?

drewdawg999

which has a RCA output that can connect to an active subwoofer. The only thing is it has a DAC integrated which I don’t need since I’ve already had the Smsl DO100. Can I bypass this integrated DAC if use with the Smsl DAC?

The one I linked is called

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR​

It's a power amp only which I think is what you want. The DO100 is doubling as a preamp. So you connect XLR out to the power amp, and RCA out to the subwoofer.

staticV3

Master Contributor

Since your sub has a built-in LPF already, there's no advantage to an integrated amp with a dedicated Sub out. Your HO100 can do that just as well via simultaneous RCA and XLR output.

You cannot use your DO100 with the DA-S250NC as it does not have analog inputs.
Though you could sell the DO100 and do WiiM->DA-S250NC->DBR-62+SB-1000 Pro for a slightly cleaner setup (less boxes).

OP
M

mitasr

Do you think that the DAS250NC alone is better than DO100+MPAS250NC? I mean does it have HPF ?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If budget is a consideration then Hypex may be good enough. Audiophonics looks good for that. If you have more to spend then March Purifi amps look mighty fine to me. You might go for the low wattage version, P262.

Or more precisely, you will not hear a difference between them, regardless your budget.

Top Bottom