• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW EQ - match response to target

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all,

Please see attached EQ screen in REW.

Note I am am not saying I will do this but why isn't REW actually EQ'ing 20-100Hz to match the target? I want to understand how the auto EQ feature actually works, thats why i set the target low.

There is no boosting required here, only "cutting", because I have brought my target very low

The predicted is in orange

Is there something in my settings?

@pkane @JohnPM

1691658482103.png

Zoomed:
1691660651174.png

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How about putting target only to do the 48 Hz peak to 75~76 dB, then do new measurement and full PEQ. Even better do separate L, R measurements and try to match them to each other by PEQ and then do as mentioned. Setting target so low SPL is insane even if you have a very strong amplifier and a risk of someone very smart would come in and play something from a different output blowing away your speakers.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Setting target so low SPL is insane even if you have a very strong amplifier and a risk of someone very smart would come in and play something from a different output blowing away your speakers.
I know which is why I mentioned the disclaimer in my first post

I'm trying to understand why the AutoEQ is not matching the target below 200Hz

Above is left channel only

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
With that very low target level you are using EQ filters as level controls, which they do not do well. To see what is happening at low frequencies either use no smoothing or Var smoothing.

Thanks John, will do

Someone above said you are asking more power of the amplifier

But it is really just higher gain right?

Isn't the amp power required a function of the amount of air you are trying to get the drivers moving ? ie SPL listening levels ?

Not really the amps volume knob position?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Flatness target: 2 dB so he is not trying to do it.
It's better to do two separate runs as calculated and received usually don't match exactly.
I said even if you have very powerful amp and explained why. Giving away 15 dB is 32x power so that much insane and enough to blow your speakers left to play rather loud (83~88 dB SPL on listening spot) if someone accidentally switched input source as safe SPL long is - 10 dB SPL max (calculated) short term.
Use 1/3 smoothing.

Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Target level should be 80, not 60 or calculate target level from response. That would be my first step. Also max boost levels (18 and 12 dB) are way to high. If you need to boost that much there are other serious problems.

Top Bottom