• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW -> EQ -> no change in frequency response

surroundman

Hello.

I am fairly new in both REW and Equalizer APO.

As I am still learning (and waiting for UMIK-1 to arrive), I am experimenting with measuring my speakers with my regular USB mic (PC desktop system). A weird issue occurs that no matter what EQ settings (wild enough for the sake of testing) I apply on EQAPO, the frequency response measurement in REW is always the same (with some tiny differences due to ambient noise, but imagine its pretty much the same). What am I missing here? Does REW negate EQAPO settings and only measure with no EQ? If that is the case, how do I measure speakers with EQ applied? Or, have I missed some setting?

Thanks.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hello.

I am fairly new in both REW and Equalizer APO.

As I am still learning (and waiting for UMIK-1 to arrive), I am experimenting with measuring my speakers with my regular USB mic (PC desktop system). A weird issue occurs that no matter what EQ settings (wild enough for the sake of testing) I apply on EQAPO, the frequency response measurement in REW is always the same (with some tiny differences due to ambient noise, but imagine its pretty much the same). What am I missing here? Does REW negate EQAPO settings and only measure with no EQ? If that is the case, how do I measure speakers with EQ applied? Or, have I missed some setting?

Thanks.
The way I test all EQ's to make sure is with the program I use to play music with (foobar in my case) .
You just have to download the sweeps you want from REW use your program to play them while you record them with REW (with the "from file" option,loading the correct IR files,the ones you previously downloaded).

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the APO set to apply to the correct device? I use PEACE EQ as the main front end, and you have to set it for speakers or digital or whatever the output is. It doesn't always default to the correct one depending on how many are setup and active.
Probably this is your issue. EQAPO will only run on the device you've selected, if that happens to be a different output device than the one REW is using, then EQ will not apply.

Also, you have to make sure you've added EQAPO to the device(s) in question in the configurator before it does anything.

OP
surroundman

surroundman

Yes, the EQ is applied to the correct device, which is is immediately apparent when any kind of media is played. The one and only application that does not seem to be affected by the EQ is REW. I am yet to find a solution.

OP
surroundman

surroundman

test.png

Green is no EQ and blue is with EQ applied (visible on the graph window). I don't get it!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you can obviously hear results of eq thru speakers but can't get measurements of same to support such? Details of your measurement method/recording perhaps in order but doesn't make a lot of sense....

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It depends on the audio driver/device you selected in REW. If it is an ASIO driver, APO will not affect it since APO only works in the Windows audio processor app.

OP
surroundman

surroundman

Thanks to your suggestions, indeed after playing some more with the Preferences tab I may have fixed it now.

Green = no EQ, red = EQ (with settings from my previous post picture). Thanks again! Now the fun begins.

test.png

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
From the EQ window you can also save your predicted response as a measurement. A nice way to check how well your system responds to EQ.

OP
surroundman

surroundman

From the EQ window you can also save your predicted response as a measurement. A nice way to check how well your system responds to EQ.
Incredible!

I was about to ask something in that regard.

After applying the initial EQ recommended by REW, how do I continue EQ'ing from that point forward? Do I mostly do it manually, or is there any trick to make it slightly easier?

Thanks!

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I guess that depends a bit on what it is that makes you want to EQ further.

Most people EQ towards a target. Sometimes it’s a matter of changing your target either through a House Curve or the Target Settings panel, sometimes you want to change how REW tries to match it (Filter Tasks). Sometimes you love everything about the result except the treble which may be fixable with a treble knob on your amplifier.

Not sure how you load your filters in EQAPO, but you can include them as a file. From REW you can overwrite this file with your new filters and you should see the result in EQAPO right away. Should you want to further EQ an EQ’d response, you can stack multiple filter sets by including multiple files.

The Invert Filter Responses option described here can be useful for finetuning suggested filters.

Hope this helps.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Make sure to average at least 3-4 measurements, and I would also split the measurements into <500 Hz and >500 Hz. At >500 Hz, measure at fairly close proximity and with the shortest window sizes you can get away with for best accuracy. I don't know of a good way of combining two EQs like that right away, guess you'd have to develop one for each range separately and combine them after the fact.

Top Bottom