• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How does my subwoofer REW graph look?

OP
B

bhayes9614

I messed with it some more last night but didn't save any of the measurements. In my screenshots above I am set to Phase 0 / Polarity = Negative. I found Phase 60 / Polarity = Positive will even out those two dips to about a 12dB difference however, they are much wider if I do this. So I can tell right away when listening to music these frequencies are missing to my ears. So I reverted back to my settings above that have the two sharp dips because it was less noticeable to my ears.

I might try repositioning to the sub to the front wall and see what happens. Also wondering if some bass traps would help with me 50-60hz dip and the 80-100hz dip?

radix

Major Contributor
I messed with it some more last night but didn't save any of the measurements. In my screenshots above I am set to Phase 0 / Polarity = Negative. I found Phase 60 / Polarity = Positive will even out those two dips to about a 12dB difference however, they are much wider if I do this. So I can tell right away when listening to music these frequencies are missing to my ears. So I reverted back to my settings above that have the two sharp dips because it was less noticeable to my ears.

I might try repositioning to the sub to the front wall and see what happens. Also wondering if some bass traps would help with me 50-60hz dip and the 80-100hz dip?

Generally moving the sub between walls and corners, or turning at an angle so it's not directly reflecting off the other wall will help. You could also try raising it off the floor. or just turning it sideways next to the wall. It's all geometry and angles causing the nulls where the mic is. As you also have lows in the speakers, it's the alignment of everything. You could try toeing the speakers in or out, but that will change your mids and highs.

Not that I do this a lot, but my method is to use 0*/positive and move the sub around until I find a spot that looks promising on a 20-200 sweep with the speakers on. Then I play with the phase to see what I can do. Generally trying 0, 90, 180, and 270 is enough to see if the spot is good.

You can also try REW's "Room Sim" feature. It should be able to help with likely good spots and is easier than dragging a sub around.

RickyC34

+1 on REW's Room Sim. Your room looks to be on the smaller size and likely a rectangle with 8-9ft ceilings. Room sim is most accurate in these environments in my experience. I am questioning the speaker placement a bit. If you're at your PC the Kef's appear to be partially blocked (esp the left one), it could just be the picture. The good news is I'm confident we can improve the two large dips by adjusting your speaker/sub positioning, gain, and delay. Is your PC your source? If so, I recommend equalizer apo. It's free software that will allow you to add PEQ to your speakers.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
move the sub below the desk, FACING the wall. this will probably get rid of the dips. if not, experiment with lifting it up the floor.

Top Bottom