• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Dominique-T

I read somewhere that you can use the gpio pins to power the toneboard and the USB C port will function as data only. Has anyone done it?
I did not, but a friend, yes...
image.jpeg

Reactions: trl

alashikata

Where has the factory default firmware gone? I think, I've started having a weird issue with the DAC after upgrading to 1226. Oftentimes the sound would just stop working, with no errors. The device is showed fine in device manager and "playback devices", but it's soundless. Only when you replug it, it goes back to normal. Weird. The DAC is connected to o2/odac in pass-through amplifier mode.

I got no problem after playing for 2 hours. Link to FW folder

DB Firmware

drewfIr

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Can the pins on the VIMS version be desoldered?

If you have to ask you'll probably make a mess if you try, unless you put in some practice on things like scrap PC bits first. If you know anyone with experience fixing circuit boards they could probably do it for you. You might have better luck cutting the pins short, being careful not to leave sharp edges, then covering the ends with insulating tape.

Zoide

SPDIF doesn't seem to be transformer coupled so generally no but depends on the source.
In my case, I have an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard with an optical S/PDIF out port. Wouldn't this:

Motherboard optical S/PDIF --> Converter to coax S/PDIF --> ToneBoard

Be better than this?

Motherboard USB --> ToneBoard

Thanks

Edit: Fixed copy/paste abomination ("optical USB") :p:facepalm:

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
In my case, I have an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard with an optical S/PDIF out port. Wouldn't this:

Be better than this?

Motherboard optical USB --> ToneBoard

Thanks

With optical in the chain you will get isolation from PC, better or not - who knows. Just try the USB, if no issues just use it for simplicity.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Be better than this?

Motherboard USB --> ToneBoard

Thanks

Edit: Fixed copy/paste abomination ("optical USB") :p:facepalm:

You will get 100% PC isolation using optical and is good on paper but then how does that exstra converting measure and perform in reality.
Maybe suggest get TB housed in a metal box and then see at post 643 how it looks that USB route then improve to SPDIF levels, and honestly spec wise those Xmos chips are in second generation and probably a excelent 32bit route to DAC if implemented with care as it looks for TB build. If you ask me for a quality DAC build as this TB the holy grail to top notch sound and good measured numbers is not about what input way, if sound from TB end be bad then look at your tranducer domain either head phones or speakers because they can be tons of deviation away from any good reference compared to precision for TB. I could be wrong in above from your view but can tell TB perform excelent in my setup using USB input, but of course when i get it housed will try external 5V power and see if it brings some tiny improvement.

kprog

Where can I buy khadas tone ? I'm from Spain. it seems that nobody has stock?

invaderzim

If you have to ask you'll probably make a mess if you try, unless you put in some practice on things like scrap PC bits first. If you know anyone with experience fixing circuit boards they could probably do it for you. You might have better luck cutting the pins short, being careful not to leave sharp edges, then covering the ends with insulating tape.

My point was that if the VIMS version isn't being used for the VIMs then removing the pins would allow it to fit in the case. The VIMs version often sells cheaper than the 'generic' one too.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Where can I buy khadas tone ? I'm from Spain. it seems that nobody has stock?
If it can help myself ordered at AUDIOPHONICS 30 December where it also was out of stock, they shipped unit 09 January and had it myself 11 January, also should you want it AUDIOPHONICS released aluminium box for TB, see @pos post 675.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
My point was that if the VIMS version isn't being used for the VIMs then removing the pins would allow it to fit in the case. The VIMs version often sells cheaper than the 'generic' one too.
Are the firmware identical??

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I had tested with Burson PLAY the v2.24 from Khadas few weeks ago and it worked flawless, especially the DSD256 that was not working with the original Burson drivers. Just found a new version today and tried to install it, but here's what I got. Even after disabling antivirus, 7-Zip told me there's an additional payload after the end of the file, so...all signed that there's a real virus in there and not a false positive alarm. Of course, disinfecting fails, so removing the fails lets me without the driver, so couldn't test it.

Khadas_tone_drivers.png

I had contacted manufacturer about this from the Contact form.

Stein

I had tested with Burson PLAY the v2.24 from Khadas few weeks ago and it worked flawless, especially the DSD256 that was not working with the original Burson drivers. Just found a new version today and tried to install it, but here's what I got. Even after disabling antivirus, 7-Zip told me there's an additional payload after the end of the file, so...all signed that there's a real virus in there and not a false positive alarm. Of course, disinfecting fails, so removing the fails lets me without the driver, so couldn't test it.

View attachment 20870

I had contacted manufacturer about this from the Contact form.

I'm getting some Huawei vibes from this one...

How necessary are the drivers for the khadas to function as a dac if I may ask?

Top Bottom