• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of u-turn Pluto and ART DJPRE II Phono Preamps

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
What exactly are the issues with a ground loop you are having ? I have decades of experience chasing/cursing ground loops in analog systems - but classic trouble shooting for ground loops in phono systems involves both removing or adding grounding until the hum goes away. How do you know the hum/loop is being caused by the power supply on the ART ? Not trying to attack you-but lots of us have dedicated large chunks of our life to attacking this issue from the wrong end- no matter how often you do it -it 's not a "boy-can't wait to do that again" experience. Tell us what you are using and what you have tried to reduce the hum ? Personally-doubt a power supply will make adifference on the ART DJ Pre II ?

Hey no problem, and thanks for the reply. I was able to eliminate the ground loop by running a piece of 18guage speaker wire from the grounding screw on the ART DJ PREII to a screw on the side of the metal bodied power strip that it and the 789 are both plugged into.

Reactions: mac

Cacophony

I just got the Atom Amp+ and it sounds great, but in reading the old Atom thread a user pointed out that there is no dc protection in regards to hooking it up to a phono preamp and I'm worried about the same thing.

I have the ART DJPRE II (bought before Amir's review so I'm happy it measures quite ok) and I'm worried about the DC offset and any potential damage to my headphones or 305P speakers, I've looked around and I can't really find any DC output level measurements on it.

audiopile

A really good habit to develop is (especially when dealing with phono inputs that have a extra 30 to 70dB of gain) is power down or mute downstream equipment when plugging and unplugging either inputs ,outputs or power cables. This is just good standard practice . So took my Fluke 233 and a ART DJ Pre II (this unit has been very slightly modified so that 100 pF switch position is actually zero pF -can't think of any reason this would affect DC output one way or another. ) Measuring down to the limits of this meter .1mV - I got nuthin -zero-dead nutz . I was measuring with open inputs and the gain all the way up (worst case) and can get about 2,2mV AC -that I assume is just noise from a open input (essentially meaningless since without a cart on it's input this thing isn't doing anything). So DC from the ART DJ Pre II is a non-concern or at least if it's coming out of one -it's from a source -not the ART it's self.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
@amirm I've begun my A/B comparison of the PREII and MM-6 and didn't know if the clipping and or distortion could be seen in actual audio recordings, particularly, with spectral analysis. If so what would one look for? I have some A/B spectral plots I'll post when I get home this evening.

EDIT: found an nice write up here: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/understanding-spectrograms.html

Last edited:

audiopile

It might be worth mentioning that "DC" when used to describe a circuit can mean two different things : 1.) Direct Current or2.) Direct coupled. Think of this as one is coming out of a circuit the other is a design element ( maybe there is a more elegant description of Direct Coupled -I just think it means no coupling capacitors .)

Frank Zappa

This is a review, comparison and detailed measurements of Review and Measurements of u-turn Pluto and ART DJPRE II Phono Preamplifiers. Both fall in the category of budget products with the Pluto retailing for USD $99 and the DJPRE II for just $49 (both include Prime shipping). Of the two, the DJPRE II has more bells and whistles:

View attachment 13107

As you see, the DJPRE II has "low cut" filter switch together with input capacitance selector (100 or 200 pf). It also has a clipping indicator and variable gain switch.

The u-turn pluto on the other hand, is fixed function. No switches, indicators, or anything else other than the power LED.

Between the two, I like the look of the Pluto better. The DJPRE II screams hobby project box. And that bright blue LED is deadly. Needs some black tape to cover it for sure. It is a sturdy box though so it is just a visual preference.

Both units have external transformers. Pluto has its own branded unit that has 9 volt AC at 670 milliwatts. The DJPRE II's transformer also outputs AC at 9 volts and 1000 milliwatts. Interestingly enough both are identical in size so not sure about the ratings being correct. The fact that these are AC adapters means that rectification to DC is inside each unit.

There is not much else to them. So let's get into measurements and see how they do.

Measurements
We are breaking new ground here with our first test of phono pre-amps so expect future measurements to vary based on feedback to this thread. In addition, I am using my new Audio Precision APx555 so bear with me as I refine these graphs and settings over time.

To make the testing easier, I only tested one channel of each unit. That allowed me to test them simultaneously. For input voltage, I picked 5 millivolt. Both of these phono preamps are for moving coil and the research I did showed range of cartridge outputs of 3 to 6 millivolts. I don't see an industry standard for measurement. Let me know if you know of one.

Here is a "dashboard" view of how the two perform using 1 kHz tone at 5 millivolts, with A-weighting filtering of the output (making it more perceptually relevant):
View attachment 13108

I know, lots of data :). Let's take a bit at a time.

For starters, I adjusted the variable output of the ART DJPRE II to match that of u-turn Pluto. This setting was just past the "zero" dial (around +1). This is good as it means the DJPRE II has good range of input sensitivity.

As you see, the output is 0.306 millivolts which corresponds to a gain in db of 35.6 or so. This matches the specification of Pluto and is within the range that DJPRE has.

Distortion with this a-weighting is 0.01% on Pluto. Manufacturer rates it at < 0.005%. Maybe at a different input level it gets closer to that.

DJPRE II's distortion spec is <0.01% and we are getting less than that at 0.007%. So good on them for being conservative.

The DRJPRE II has a clipping indicator. I find out that it lights up at just 0.01% so pretty conservative.

A-weighted signal to noise+distortion ratio ("SINAD") is 83 dB for DJPREE II beating the 80 db for Pluto. Both companies spec 90 dB.

See? It wasn't so bad. :)

Next, let's look at frequency response:
View attachment 13109

Here we have three graphs: one for Pluto and two for DJPRE II with its filter switch to Flat and Low Cut. When set to flat, the DJPRE indeed has a flat response that extends past 50 kHz. The Pluto has a low-cut built-in per specification.

When selecting the low-cut filter on DJPRE II, we indeed get a low cut (not as steep as Pluto though) but also a high-cut above 19 kHz or so. Not sure that is a bad thing but it is not what the button says it is doing.

Somewhat related to this, I ran a sweep to see how the phase varies based on frequency and got this:
View attachment 13110

Here, it is Pluto's turn to nail the phase response with essentially zero deviation at all frequencies. The DJPRe II though starts to have a negative phase shift below 1 kHz and it progressively gets worse down to 20 Hz at some 66 degrees. Selecting the low-cut filter makes things better with a positive phase shift that starts at 50 hz and goes up 20 degrees or so at 20 Hz. I am not sure what is going with the DJPRE II here. I can see a phase compensation at higher frequencies but not lower.

Next let's sweep the input level from 1 millivolt to 50 millivolt to see when overload occurs:
View attachment 13111

Here, Pluto does better with onset of clipping at 31 millivolt input level. The DJPRE II on the other hand, starts clipping at 22 millivolts. So those pops and clicks will be more obnoxious on the DJPRE II assuming they rise up to such levels.

Finally, let's look at distortion and noise of a 1 kHz tone with 5 millivolt input but without a-weighting:

View attachment 13112

Both devices are remarkably the same with one significant difference: the pluto bleeds noise from its power supply rectifier into its output. You can see this in harmonics of mains 60 Hz in blue. The DJPRE II actually has higher mains hum at 60 Hz, but it is otherwise much cleaner relative to power supply noise.

I think that is it. It is 1:00am so I am going to go to sleep. :) Leave me feedback on what you think of these results and I will read them when I wake up.

Conclusions
The ART DJPRE II is a great bargain here. Other than some strange phase shift at low frequencies and lower input dynamic range, it actually beats the more expensive u-turn Pluto in the rest of the measurements.

The main fault I see with the Pluto is the power supply noise. A bit more attention there could have easily landed it on top.

Both are great bargains from what I can see. Personally I find the DJPRE II a more flexible unit so if I had to buy one, it would be that if I could hide it some place. :)

----

As always, questions, comments, corrections, etc. are all welcome.

----
If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchases using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).
Thank you for this review and for all the other things we can read here.
I have a question : ART pre II is for MM or MC?

audiopile

Thank you for this review and for all the other things we can read here.
I have a question : ART pre II is for MM or MC?
Moving Magnet or Induced Magnet cartridges and high output moving coils -some of which put out 2.5 mV or so. Not Lo output MC's.

egellings

Major Contributor
I have the Art DJpre II and found the blue LED on its front panel to be way too bright, so I increased the value of the LED's series resistor to tone that down a bit. Otherwise, it's a competent phono stage.

audiopile

What! You didn't employ Click n Clacks black electrical tape dashboard service engine now light fix !

Frank Zappa

Moving Magnet or Induced Magnet cartridges and high output moving coils -some of which put out 2.5 mV or so. Not Lo output MC's.
Thanks for the reply. It made me doubt amirm because in the review it talks about MC.

dreamcast

I picked up the Art DJ Pre II yesterday and can say I am very impressed, the name and design defiantly through you off to think it's a cheap poorly made item but its the complete opposite.

I see DJ on a product and immediately think junk when it comes to sound quality.

I had been using a older phono stage for years and had a power surge and it fried unfortunately. I had tried about four other cheap phono stages made by behringer, pyle, numark, mixvibes and could not get my sound back, I suspected it was because they were all op amp based class D and poorly done. Plugged this in and I think its even better then my original one. I don't have a ton of money to play with on these things so this was in my ball park and I am very happy. There is really good extension into the highs and the bass is clear. I really enjoy having a subsonic filter this unit rolls off perfectly. I was looking at a Naim class A clone on aliexpress and was between this and that ... seen this on sale at my local music store and didnt want to wait months for the other one which I could find little to no reviews. The interesting part was I used this for a couple hours and it got better as I used it.

I havent played around with other power supplies but do find it interesting that it supports AC and DC (suspect it must have a rectifier in it or something like a original NES console).

I am sure I will get around to that later, but I do gotta say the power supply that's included does have a good weight to it and seems well made for this price.

Thanks for your review it helped me find something I am quite happy with!

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
I have one too and it does a decent job as a phono preamp. It's just a standard rail-to-rail op amp based circuit with RIAA EQ in the feedback loop. A single 7805 Vreg powers it. 4 discrete rectifier diodes are built into the unit, so it can be powered with AC or DC. About as ordinary as it gets. Build quality of the SMT PCB is excellent. Another jelly bean controls the overload indicator on the front panel. It's a good value for the money.

jeffcs

I know this is an older thread but can someone explain why the ART Pro Audio DJPRE2 received a “No” recommendation in the Audio Electronics Review and Measurements Index (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews). Amir’s review says: “Personally I find the DJPRE II a more flexible unit so if I had to buy one, it would be that if I could hide it some place”.

Shouldn’t this be a “Yes” recommended for the DJPREII in the index?

BMRR

Somewhat related to this, I ran a sweep to see how the phase varies based on frequency and got this:
View attachment 13110

Here, it is Pluto's turn to nail the phase response with essentially zero deviation at all frequencies. The DJPRe II though starts to have a negative phase shift below 1 kHz and it progressively gets worse down to 20 Hz at some 66 degrees. Selecting the low-cut filter makes things better with a positive phase shift that starts at 50 hz and goes up 20 degrees or so at 20 Hz. I am not sure what is going with the DJPRE II here. I can see a phase compensation at higher frequencies but not lower.

[snip]
Conclusions
The ART DJPRE II is a great bargain here. Other than some strange phase shift at low frequencies and lower input dynamic range, it actually beats the more expensive u-turn Pluto in the rest of the measurements.
Can someone explain in simple terms (talk to me like I'm a 10 year old!) what the DJpre's "negative phase shift below 1 kHz" means in real-world use, i.e. what impact it has on listening to music? What does it sound like, relative to a preamp that doesn't have a negative phase shift below 1 kHz?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a question regarding powering art djpre II.
When you look at the back it says that unit can be powered by 9V ac/dc power.
And my question is I assume that I can power it with 9V DC power brick right? Or I'm missing something here.
(I want to use 5v DC to DC USB stepup converter to boost 5v to 9v - it will simplify my setup as I wanted to use USB socket from my power strip and get rid of big external AC transformer that comes with the phono)
1000004357.jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
I have a question regarding powering art djpre II.
When you look at the back it says that unit can be powered by 9V ac/dc power.
And my question is I assume that I can power it with 9V DC power brick right? Or I'm missing something here.
(I want to use 5v DC to DC USB stepup converter to boost 5v to 9v - it will simplify my setup as I wanted to use USB socket from my power strip and get rid of big external AC transformer that comes with the phono)
View attachment 315650
I have one and I looked inside. There is a rectifier diode circuit and a 3-pin regulator following that. So you have your choice of AC or DC for power. If AC is used, the diodes will rectify (convert to DC) that and present the resulting raw DC voltage to the regulator, which I think puts out a regulated 5Vdc. If DC is used for power, it will simply pass through the diodes unaltered except for diode drops to the regulator. So it makes no difference which kind of electricity you feed it, so long as the voltage is within a range that the unit can work with.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
I have one and I looked inside. There is a rectifier diode circuit and a 3-pin regulator following that. So you have your choice of AC or DC for power. If AC is used, the diodes will rectify (convert to DC) that and present the resulting raw DC voltage to the regulator, which I think puts out a regulated 5Vdc. If DC is used for power, it will simply pass through the diodes unaltered except for diode drops to the regulator. So it makes no difference which kind of electricity you feed it, so long as the voltage is within a range that the unit can work with.
Thanks that's what I assumed.
I should receive DC-DC step up converter soon, will report back with the result.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
So I've received DC-DC (5v usb powered) converter couple of days ago and I can confirm that It's working flawlessly with Art DJ PREE II.

Top Bottom