• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

speedwheels

My topping DX7s is not recognized by my PC or Mac At all. It behaves like nothing is plugged into the computer. I have tried a couple of USB cables so I am sure it is not an issue with the USB cable. The dx7s powers up fine and all the controls and displays seem to work. I wonder if the USB port has a bad connection on it. I plan to open up the box and see if it can be fixed. Does anyone have a picture of the bottom of the circuit board or a close-up of the connection of the USB input to the board? Trying to decide if this is feasible or not.. Thank you.

leontang

Macos will upsample all to target sample rate. OS X resampler is not "bad" though, so putting it at 96Khz for everything is a reasonable trade-off if you want to use default system-wide core audio. Even better would be exclusive/automatic control by the app though, like amir says.

I also think 96Khz would be a good option.
Thank you and also thank @amirm.

GioF71

Forum Donor
Hello everyone, can anybody confirm me that this device can play DSD in DoP mode on its SPDIF inputs?
Specifically, has anybody tested the dac using the Topping D10 as in interface?
It might be useful if one wants to connect more computers to the same DAC, leveraging on its multiple inputs.
Also, can a dop-capable dac play DSD when connected to the Coaxial out of this DAC?
Thanks everyone.

speedwheels

Does anyone know if the USB DAC is recognized by the PC when the DX7 is turned off ? The manual mentions we should be able to use the DAC (USB to optical for example) when the unit is powered off. Does anyone know?

Pulkass

Hallo what does mean AES , in the input command ? (ok balanced digital signal ?) and then waits for khz input ??? thanks, it does sound great,

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Does anyone know if the USB DAC is recognized by the PC when the DX7 is turned off ? The manual mentions we should be able to use the DAC (USB to optical for example) when the unit is powered off. Does anyone know?
The DX7(s) has a coax out, no optical out. Connected to computer, dac off there is a pass trough via coax.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hallo what does mean AES , in the input command ? (ok balanced digital signal ?) and then waits for khz input ??? thanks, it does sound great,
AES is the XLR digital input connection in the back. If you select that input but have nothing connected to that XLR connection then it can't do anything and hence that message.

gvl

Major Contributor
I pulled the trigger on one of these used, it powered up and allowed me to switch between inputs, then I long-pressed the volume knob and now it greets me with the ERR : DAC_R message. Tried factory reset to no avail. Is it the "dumpster mode"?

Last edited:

bambadoo

Have you contacted the Topping support team?

Maybe try do downgrade/upgrade the firmware?

Toku

Major Contributor
I also experienced the same symptoms 3 times with DX7s.
At first I panicked, but then DX7s revived.
What I did was
Unplug the power cord from the outlet and leave.
Perform factory reset multiple times according to the manual.
After doing the above, the DX7s recovered normally.
Currently, I have sold DX7s because of that

gvl

Major Contributor
I also experienced the same symptoms 3 times with DX7s.
At first I panicked, but then DX7s revived.
What I did was
Unplug the power cord from the outlet and leave.
Perform factory reset multiple times according to the manual.
After doing the above, the DX7s recovered normally.

I tried more or less these same steps, nothing seems to help. I'll leave it unplugged overnight and try one last time in the morning.

Toku

Major Contributor
When I contacted them it took some days....
I do not know well what caused DX7s to be such a symptom.
Just one point, I remember that the operation became strange if you unplug the USB cable with the power ON.
One week after my purchase, I had a big shock when I experienced symptoms. And I regretted buying expensive scraps.
It is a truly mysterious problem.

gvl

Major Contributor
Topping responded and confirmed it is in fact a symptom of the dumpster mode. Oh well, let's see how well the eBay buyer protection works.

gvl

Major Contributor
So I took it apart in hopes to find an obvious issue like a loose nut shorting conductors but nothing, spent an hour with a magnifying glass looking for issues w/no success. Found a couple of loose solder flakes which looked promising but that wasn't it. What I did find is that the aluminum case isn't grounded. The equipment ground conductor lands on the PCB ground plane and then nothing. Only one brass standoff has continuity to ground but it happens over a 1mm wide printed conductor which will evaporate way before your circuit breaker clears a ground fault, that is if there is a good contact between that standoff and the anodized case in the first place. Standoffs are 4mm tall and the power header pins are protruding 2mm on the bottom of the PCB, so there is only 2mm gap between mains voltage and the case. With so much noise here around similar problems with Schiit products it is surprising this Topping issue went unnoticed.

The response from Topping indicated, verbatim, "one or two DAC chip of your DX7s already loosed". Sounds like if your DX7s DAC chips haven't loosed yet they may soon.

I could revive the display a couple of times, it would allow me to switch between inputs, adjust volume but no sound and finally show the same error fairly quickly.

Last edited:

buggyglint

"Upgraded" to the DX7s from the NX4, it's amazing what you can get out of this awesome piece of hardware. Using HD650's in balanced mode this thing really shines, I can turn up the volume and it's as if the instruments get louder and the overall song does not get distorted. Amazing separation and depth.

Pulkass

How to use it as a pre only??? no headphone amp, pre dipendent from volume ????? no fixed 0.00 db--- can t set it that way. thanks

cheungtsw

How to use it as a pre only??? no headphone amp, pre dipendent from volume ????? no fixed 0.00 db--- can t set it that way. thanks

Doesn't using as pre-amp = using the volume knob on the DX7s (i.e, variable output) ?

Pulkass

Doesn't using as pre-amp = using the volume knob on the DX7s (i.e, variable output) ?

THANKS--I do have HP option, volume controlled---and/or just pre amp fixed output 0.00 db----can t get just pre amp volume controlled, I know there is the option but damn cant get it!!

Top Bottom