• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

MWC

:rolleyes: "passive attenuator" sounds like BullSchiit to me!

Ninja_Theory

First post.. but many hours spent lurking. Just placed my order on the current Drop. Will the DX7S perform drastically different over USB as opposed to SPDIF in?

Yuno

I have something better.
No you don't. The purpose of passive preamp is to specifically not change sound in any way shape or form, you don't need tubes and external power for that. Schiit sys is actually a good product, it does exactly what is meant to do, which is control volume. Those things are purely functional.

doctorjuggles

Is it possible to have the line-out defaulting to 0dB while being in HP & DAC mode? As soon as I switch to the combination, the output from the line-out matches the HP volume. I read the thread for the answer to this, but most people seem to want it to work the other way around, which is how it does work. I saw someone say to push the button twice, but this makes no difference. Line-out is always set at -00.0dB on mine no matter what I do, but DAC + HP always defaults HP and line-out to whatever the last volume setting was.

By the way - great resource @amirm & all other contributors! :)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Massdrop DX7s arrived here in Panama today. I unboxed it, connected it via USB to my old Intel NUC running Daphile, and temporarily via RCA line out to the 3.5mm "AUX" line input on my SMSL Q5 Pro DAC/amp. Daphile recognized the DX7s with no configuration and everything worked with no issues.

Listening to jazz guitarist Frank Vignola playing Strike up the Band as I write this - and it sounds excellent.

I really like the larger, heavier, solid feeling DX7s much better than the flimsy little units like my pair of dead PA3's and the SMSL Q5 with its volume control that feels like the shaft is a wet noodle.

But I can't wait to get the two ICEpower boards so I can finish assembling my Ghent 100wpc balanced input power amp.

gvl

Major Contributor
I like mine too, very fluid and non fatiguing sound. I wish I could say the same about the Khadas board.

Veri

Master Contributor
I like mine too, very fluid and non fatiguing sound. I wish I could say the same about the Khadas board.
Your khadas tone board must be defective :D :D

gvl

Major Contributor
I finally found some time today to revisit KTB vs. DX7s sound in a more controlled manner instead of relying on impressions from memory. Both were connected to my Matrix X-SPDIF over SPDIF, and playing Tidal lossless. I'm happy to report that the big differences I thought were there in reality are barely delectable in a sighted non-level matched A/B testing, and realistically in a blind level-matched test I would likely have no clue. Case closed.

Last edited:

Shane D

Forum Donor
Just as an FYI, these are back on the Drop for $360.00.

Shane D

starfly

Forum Donor
How much of an issue will a headphone out with 10ohm impedance really be for sensitive headphones?

Shane D

Forum Donor
Top Bottom