• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

graz_lag

Major Contributor
My ROI in audio gear has been consistently negative, literally :)

In our hobby, ROI is not to be read as the amount of $ in our pocket but rather as the quality of pleasure for our ears and heart ... I feel you agree on that ... :cool:

THD or THD+N? Your percentages translate to a little better than -100dB & almost -80dB, relative to the fundamental. Isn't that consistent with the 25dB reduction in level when noise is included?

What are the QA's limits?

THD without N. THD+N it is bigger but in my opinion is not relevant. The noise is almost out of audioband.

WLVCA

I purchased a Topping DX7S in latest offer from Massdrop and received it yesterday. Unfortunately I had a problem with the device.

After I installed it in my speaker system and attempted to play DSD files the device stopped working and displayed ERR:7

Found a way to reset the unit on this forum (thank you) and tried again - no luck.

This morning I installed it in my headphone system (replacing a Topping D50 that I've had no problems with) and got the same error message.

Sorry to say I am returning the DX7S. Wish it had worked.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... Sorry to say I am returning the DX7S. Wish it had worked.

It is a pity, indeed.
Mine (bought on eBay from an HK's seller) is making me very happy abt. my choice when I decided to purchase it.
It sounds pretty amazing every evening for a couple of hrs. ... mostly on 16/24 FLAC files.
To the point that I have put my NAD M51 DAC on sale on my local craigslist, on last Sunday ...
All the best for your returning process.

noobie

Question... I am running the DX7s DAC, but I have the same question for my D50 or my DX3Pro... My configuration is Tidal on Windows 10 with Tidal set to play out the Topping in Exclusive Mode...

1548739480621.png

In the Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel (Windows) there is a format tab. There are two choices - 2 channels, 32 bits and 2 channels 24 bits... What should that be set to? I found mine set to 2 channels 32 bits by default for both the DX7s and the DX3Pro. When I changed it to 2 channels 24 bits the DAC disconnected, but then I reconnected it and it played just fine. There after it stays at whatever I set it to.

1548739445308.png

So, my question is, what should this be set to? 24 bits or 32 bits?

Veri

Master Contributor
So, my question is, what should this be set to? 24 bits or 32 bits?

There is no drawback to using 32-bit so just use that. It allows more headroom when using digital volume control (volume mixer). Otherwise, the bits are just padded with zeros so there is no dithering or loss of quality. If your device supports 32-bit I don't see why not enable it.

For me my DX3 software even defaults to 32-bit while it says in windows it is 24-bit. Only in the ASIO driver window I could manually change 24-bit/32-bit.

Last edited:

noobie

There is no drawback to using 32-bit so just use that. It allows more headroom when using digital volume control (volume mixer). Otherwise, the bits are just padded with zeros so there is no dithering or loss of quality. If your device supports 32-bit I don't see why not enable it.

For me my DX3 software even defaults to 32-bit while it says in windows it is 24-bit. Only in the ASIO driver window I coukd manually change 24-bit/32-bit.
Thank you!

taotao

Registered the forum just now and want to show thanks for the measurement done. Based on the data, I gave up Schiit and turned to DX7S. So far, I am very happy with it when using with HD820 at office.
I just need to DAC+AMP combo which is simply understandably "good enough". I do not bother to find anything best. I do not believe words from makers. Nor do I spend too much effort reading subjective review. I believe objective measurement is the good criterion although it might not be able to cover all listening experience. Anything beyond that, it is a bet on taste just like going to a new restaurant.
Thanks for the amazing measurement done!

Pulkass

This is a very much anticipated review of the Topping DX7s which is a replacement for Topping DX7. As you see in this picture of them in my lab, they are twin brothers as far as enclosure, and features:

index.php

Even the remote from DX7 works to operate the DX7s. Alas, the price is higher for DX7s retailing for a list price of $499 which is $100 higher than DX7. Recently it was offered on Massdrop however for something like $375.

NOTE: The Topping DX7s was offered to me for free from Topping when I asked to purchase it. For that, I am appreciative. I have not offered anything in return to Topping, nor do I have any kind of commercial relationship with them. They also sent me the Topping D50 which I will review separately. Feel free to read as much or as little bias as you like into this review.

The DX7s upgrades the DAC (chips) to a pair of ESS ES9038s. Due to higher cost of this chip vs the ES9018 used in DX7, that is reflected in the higher retail price of DX7s. Unfortunately the amazingly high quality remote of DX7 has also been optional (see other using low cost universal remotes: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wtb-remote-for-topping-dx7.2334/

As I mentioned in the review of Topping DX7, this is one superbly built unit. It feels exceptionally solid and hefty with very nice industrial design. Other than its half-rack size, it would easily fit the bill as a "high-end" DAC. Its weight easily supports heavy cables and doesn't let them drag it back.

The unit was plug-and play in Windows 10, requiring no drivers for bit-exact playback using my favorite player, Roon.

Format support is excellent extending to DSD as is connectivity which even includes professional AES/EBU balanced digital audio input.

On the front-panel there are standard and "balanced" headphone outputs. I will evaluate that section in a later post. For now, this post is focused on the unit as a stand-alone DAC.

OK, I know almost all of you want to know how it measures against Topping DX7. So let's get into that.

As always if you have a question about my measurements, please read about the setup and what they mean here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/understanding-audio-measurements.2351/. And if you want to know if I am qualified to make such evaluations, see my background here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906/

The unit was tested after being on for just a few minutes and has less than 1 hour of use on it.

Measurements
Starting simple with frequency response measurement using default Brickwall Filter we see:

View attachment 10823

There is a tiny amount of imbalance between the two channels. Usually these two lines land on top of each other. Here they are off by .04 dB.

Next let's look at jitter and noise measurements using 24-bit/48 kHz jitter test tone over S/PDIF:

View attachment 10824

Performance is excellent and identical for both DACs. I just remembered that I forgot to run this with USB. Will do and report back on that.

Let's now look at our favorite, the linearity test:

View attachment 10826

I followed my rule of 0.1 dB deviation as the cutoff point. As luck would have it for Topping DX7s, it got to that point hair before DX7 indicating that 18 bits vs 19. But if I run this repeatedly it would change a bit at that extreme which is at the edge of what I can measure. Both DACs are showing exemplary performance here with essentially flat line to 120 dB indicating 20 bits of resolution. No other DAC I have measured has done so well.

Looking at the waveform of a very low-level sine wave at some -90 dB, we see this:

View attachment 10827

Unfortunately I didn't realize the scales were a bit different but to my eyes, the DX7s seems just a hair cleaner. Either way, both show a very nice approximation of a sine wave.

Next let's look at THD+N noise and distortion figure at different frequencies:

View attachment 10828

We have a bit of a mixed picture with Topping DX7s doing better from 2 kHz to nearly 20 kHz but somewhat worse between 200 and 2 kHz. The levels regardless are very low at less than -102 dB. All in all if I had to pick a winner here, I would pick DX7s since our hearing is most sensitive in 2 kHz to 5 kHz.

Let's see how they both do at SMPTE intermodulation test:

View attachment 10829

A somewhat mixed picture appears here again. The DX7 seems to be dominated by noise whereas the DX7s has some odd behaviors. I wonder if this is due to distortion compensation logic in ES9038. Unfortunately unlike the Pro-Ject Pre S2 Digital, there is no option to turn this feature on and off. Overall I would give a slight nod to DX7 over DX7s.

Finally let's look at the residual noise and distortion when we feed them a 1 kHz tone and then filter it out:

View attachment 10830

This is another mixed picture with some distortions lower and some higher. The DX7s however, maintains a tiny lead in lower noise floor (in red).

Conclusions
Going into this test, I was hoping there would be somewhat significant improvement in measurements with DX7s. That did not come to pass. Performance is excellent as it was with DX7. Perhaps we are limited by the measurement equipment or we are not testing for everything. Given the higher cost of DX7s, I am wishing the DX7 was still available and that would have been my recommendation.

Be that as it may, the Topping DX7s gets my recommendation for a mid-price, high performance DAC. Cut back on a few steak dinners and you too can afford to buy it relative to cheaper offerings! :)

-----

As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchases using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).
then you got a really good deal!!!
I bought it, from China, not yet arrived though, will the Volume work on RCA out as well XLR out ??? I m not using a pre amp anymore, so l need volume control. Thanks

Pulkass

This is a very much anticipated review of the Topping DX7s which is a replacement for Topping DX7. As you see in this picture of them in my lab, they are twin brothers as far as enclosure, and features:

index.php

Even the remote from DX7 works to operate the DX7s. Alas, the price is higher for DX7s retailing for a list price of $499 which is $100 higher than DX7. Recently it was offered on Massdrop however for something like $375.

NOTE: The Topping DX7s was offered to me for free from Topping when I asked to purchase it. For that, I am appreciative. I have not offered anything in return to Topping, nor do I have any kind of commercial relationship with them. They also sent me the Topping D50 which I will review separately. Feel free to read as much or as little bias as you like into this review.

The DX7s upgrades the DAC (chips) to a pair of ESS ES9038s. Due to higher cost of this chip vs the ES9018 used in DX7, that is reflected in the higher retail price of DX7s. Unfortunately the amazingly high quality remote of DX7 has also been optional (see other using low cost universal remotes: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wtb-remote-for-topping-dx7.2334/

As I mentioned in the review of Topping DX7, this is one superbly built unit. It feels exceptionally solid and hefty with very nice industrial design. Other than its half-rack size, it would easily fit the bill as a "high-end" DAC. Its weight easily supports heavy cables and doesn't let them drag it back.

The unit was plug-and play in Windows 10, requiring no drivers for bit-exact playback using my favorite player, Roon.

Format support is excellent extending to DSD as is connectivity which even includes professional AES/EBU balanced digital audio input.

On the front-panel there are standard and "balanced" headphone outputs. I will evaluate that section in a later post. For now, this post is focused on the unit as a stand-alone DAC.

OK, I know almost all of you want to know how it measures against Topping DX7. So let's get into that.

As always if you have a question about my measurements, please read about the setup and what they mean here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/understanding-audio-measurements.2351/. And if you want to know if I am qualified to make such evaluations, see my background here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906/

The unit was tested after being on for just a few minutes and has less than 1 hour of use on it.

Measurements
Starting simple with frequency response measurement using default Brickwall Filter we see:

View attachment 10823

There is a tiny amount of imbalance between the two channels. Usually these two lines land on top of each other. Here they are off by .04 dB.

Next let's look at jitter and noise measurements using 24-bit/48 kHz jitter test tone over S/PDIF:

View attachment 10824

Performance is excellent and identical for both DACs. I just remembered that I forgot to run this with USB. Will do and report back on that.

Let's now look at our favorite, the linearity test:

View attachment 10826

I followed my rule of 0.1 dB deviation as the cutoff point. As luck would have it for Topping DX7s, it got to that point hair before DX7 indicating that 18 bits vs 19. But if I run this repeatedly it would change a bit at that extreme which is at the edge of what I can measure. Both DACs are showing exemplary performance here with essentially flat line to 120 dB indicating 20 bits of resolution. No other DAC I have measured has done so well.

Looking at the waveform of a very low-level sine wave at some -90 dB, we see this:

View attachment 10827

Unfortunately I didn't realize the scales were a bit different but to my eyes, the DX7s seems just a hair cleaner. Either way, both show a very nice approximation of a sine wave.

Next let's look at THD+N noise and distortion figure at different frequencies:

View attachment 10828

We have a bit of a mixed picture with Topping DX7s doing better from 2 kHz to nearly 20 kHz but somewhat worse between 200 and 2 kHz. The levels regardless are very low at less than -102 dB. All in all if I had to pick a winner here, I would pick DX7s since our hearing is most sensitive in 2 kHz to 5 kHz.

Let's see how they both do at SMPTE intermodulation test:

View attachment 10829

A somewhat mixed picture appears here again. The DX7 seems to be dominated by noise whereas the DX7s has some odd behaviors. I wonder if this is due to distortion compensation logic in ES9038. Unfortunately unlike the Pro-Ject Pre S2 Digital, there is no option to turn this feature on and off. Overall I would give a slight nod to DX7 over DX7s.

Finally let's look at the residual noise and distortion when we feed them a 1 kHz tone and then filter it out:

View attachment 10830

This is another mixed picture with some distortions lower and some higher. The DX7s however, maintains a tiny lead in lower noise floor (in red).

Conclusions
Going into this test, I was hoping there would be somewhat significant improvement in measurements with DX7s. That did not come to pass. Performance is excellent as it was with DX7. Perhaps we are limited by the measurement equipment or we are not testing for everything. Given the higher cost of DX7s, I am wishing the DX7 was still available and that would have been my recommendation.

Be that as it may, the Topping DX7s gets my recommendation for a mid-price, high performance DAC. Cut back on a few steak dinners and you too can afford to buy it relative to cheaper offerings! :)

-----

As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchases using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

service
10:10 AM (1 hour ago)

to me

Hello

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

Yes, the volume of XLR and RCA will be adjustable and this two output keep same volume.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service
cleardot.gif

mmicko

Hello guys,
I was living last few years in peace of my mind, enjoying my HD800 and Audio GD NFB-28.
Then I accidentally found NFB28 measurement done by amirm and the "hifi fever" is back :-D
My few weeks long research ended with two options Topping DX7s or SMSL SU-8 + Massdrop THX AAA 789
(i prefer the ballanced connection, because it can be also used with my active monitors)
Unfortunately the Massdrop amp is not available now and won't be in near future :-(
Is here somebody who has at home both DX7s and Massdrop THX AAA 789 (best way paired with HD800 :) ?
Could you please check, if there is some audible difference between the headphone output in DX7s and 789 ?

Thanks

Michal

Veri

Master Contributor
Could you please check, if there is some audible difference between the headphone output in DX7s and 789 ?l

The THX AAA works with anything. Super powerful with basically any load and super low impedance output.

The DX7 amp has an output impedance of 10 ohms single ended, 20 ohms balanced. For a HD650 or HD800 this would be fine, not worth to spend $349 on the THX. BUT for lower impedance / more sensitive headphones the THX will improve things, gone are the problematic frequency response changes.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Hello guys,
I was living last few years in peace of my mind, enjoying my HD800 and Audio GD NFB-28.
Then I accidentally found NFB28 measurement done by amirm and the "hifi fever" is back :-D
My few weeks long research ended with two options Topping DX7s or SMSL SU-8 + Massdrop THX AAA 789
(i prefer the ballanced connection, because it can be also used with my active monitors)
Unfortunately the Massdrop amp is not available now and won't be in near future :-(
Is here somebody who has at home both DX7s and Massdrop THX AAA 789 (best way paired with HD800 :) ?
Could you please check, if there is some audible difference between the headphone output in DX7s and 789 ?

Thanks

Michal

Hi Michael :

I have the DX7S and it makes my AKG K701 rendering well without any problem.
However, I am not a big fan of the DAC + amp combos, in fact I bought the DX7S for its primary use as a DAC.
For the headphones (AKG K701) I still prefer the rendering I get via my integrated amplifier's headphone stage.

My conclusions are - as based on my listening attitude :
Topping DX7S to be used as combo unit ---> but @ 300€ max
or alternatively
SMSL SU-8 + JDS Labs Atom ---> so within the said 300€ budget

If you are flexible to go to higher budgets instead, you can look @ some other combinations based on two separate units IMHO : you could just resell one of the two units if it would happen you will not like it and keep the one you instead like.

FYI : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-aune-x1s-dac-amp.6535/post-150106

Last edited:

Pulkass

Okay, received the Topping Ds7x right now, no remote, set my sound board at 'optical' 192 khz---24 bit, how do I access the various filters??? if I press the volume, it just switches off.!!!!...connected to my electronic x over via XLR---WHERE DO i GET the driver to run on USB pc ???? thanks will keep it on and on to let it 'burn in'.....ehheheheheeh (happy) Ps = instructions are mostly unclear and in chinese---

Veri

Master Contributor
Okay, received the Topping Ds7x right now, no remote, set my sound board at 'optical' 192 khz---24 bit, how do I access the various filters??? if I press the volume, it just switches off.!!!!...connected to my electronic x over via XLR---WHERE DO i GET the driver to run on USB pc ???? thanks will keep it on and on to let it 'burn in'.....ehheheheheeh (happy) Ps = instructions are mostly unclear and in chinese---
Drivers here http://en.tpdz.net/drivers.html

You can use the 2018-02-02 DX7s drivers but the other Topping drivers should work too I believe, since it is software for the XMOS controller. Newest software is 2018-11-20.

About sound filters, I'm not entirely sure via hardware but the remote should have a 'FIR' button for sure.

Pulkass

Thanks, will do, at the moment I am stuck, I cannot change input, I cannot hear music, don t know how to change inputs: optical, coax, usb. If I press the volume wheel it just says : GOOD BYE and goes off.

Dana reed

Thanks, will do, at the moment I am stuck, I cannot change input, I cannot hear music, don t know how to change inputs: optical, coax, usb. If I press the volume wheel it just says : GOOD BYE and goes off.
For mine, the volume button only turns on and off if you hold the button down for a few seconds. Otherwise tapping the button once cycles inputs. Double-tapping the button cycles output modes (DAC only at 0 dB, DAC+HP both adjustable to variable volume, HP only variable volume). To access the config menu and change the filters and display brightness without the remote, turn it off, and then power it up while holding the button down. Then there are options for the filters.
All this is easier with a remote, which is why I found the codes someone kindly uploaded to Logitech to program in my universal remote to run this thing.

*edit* screenshot from appropriate manual page below: http://en.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=73.html
1550682284698.png

Pulkass

Thanks. Very kind of you. I managed somehow to access the inputs . Not the rest! Yet. Universal remote ! Ha ! Could l be able to program them....(?) I bought the remote right now. From Audiophonics De la France...me oui . L haute fidélité français c est très bon !!!!

Veri

Master Contributor
I bought the remote right now. From Audiophonics De la France...me oui . L haute fidélité français c est très bon !!!!

Lol :D tu as fait bien, tres bien oui oui
omelette du fromage

Last edited:
Top Bottom