• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
can t get just pre amp volume controlled
On the DX7s, pre-amp volume controlled mode is engaged by pressing the big button in the centre of the arrow cluster on the remote.

cheungtsw

I feel it is very dangerous Topping has the line out button on the remote.
If I hit it by mistake, I probably will blown my speakers if I use a power amp & passive speakers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I feel it is very dangerous Topping has the line out button on the remote.
If I hit it by mistake, I probably will blown my speakers if I use a power amp & passive speakers.
The first time you hit it, it will go into variable line out. It requires a second press to go in 0 dB mode. While I appreciate the issue, I have not had that problem with my setup.

cheungtsw

I confirm the remote can only change to line out but cannot change back to volume control.

cheungtsw

The first time you hit it, it will go into variable line out. It requires a second press to go in 0 dB mode. While I appreciate the issue, I have not had that problem with my setup.

Just tried again. Single press on remote change to line out. Press or double press on remote again, the unit will flash DAC for 1 sec but still in line out mode.

The only way to go back to variable output is to double click the big knob on the unit itself.

At least it behaves like this on my unit.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Think I might replace my Audio-GD NFB-11.28 with the Topping DX7s.
Does the DX7s drive 600-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you talking about?
http://www.tpdz.net/
The Topping website doesn't always load on the first try. Their web site design and management staff apparently are not as technically competent as their DAC design staff - which to me is better than the reverse where companies like Sch**t scrimp on the hardware design, but don't miss a beat on marketing and image building.

BTW, the MassDrop DX7s drop just ended and my $359 sale-priced DX7s should ship in mid-May. I don't need the headphone amp, but the excellent DAC and volume control + separately-sold remote made it an ideal - and cost competitive solution. I want to go balanced between DAC and power amp, so the alternative was to insert a rather expensive Axiom, GoldPoint, Khozmo or similar volume controller between a basic (no headphone amp) balanced-output DAC and a balanced-input power amp.

Power amps are still under consideration, but current Class-D candidates are Nuprime STA-9, Nord, Apollon and Ghent. The Nuprime offers the most power output for the money, and that amp continues to get good reviews.

Emotiva has a balanced input IcePower Class-D "pro-audio" mono power amp that they sell for $300 new, but I am leaning towards the Nuprime stereo unit vs. a pair of the Emotiva monos which are simply an IcePower module in a case.

Last edited:

ABQdude

Forum Donor
Both the Topping DX7s and D50 DACs share the same issue of the right channel dropout after a few seconds when running a signal to the right channel only in REW. How can I run REW room correction for my setup? Is it possible to get accurate left/right files, or would a single summed L+R calibration (I assume with the UMIK-1 microphone pointed straight up at the measurement location) be accurate enough?

gvl

Major Contributor
I pulled the trigger on one of these used, it powered up and allowed me to switch between inputs, then I long-pressed the volume knob and now it greets me with the ERR : DAC_R message. Tried factory reset to no avail. Is it the "dumpster mode"?

This story has a happy ending. Folks at Topping were very accommodating and gave me a couple of options. I ended up mailing them the DAC board and they fixed it free of charge and mailed it back with 2 day DHL. They were very professional and stayed on top of things. Took almost two months mostly due to the marginal service you get with USPS First Class International but all is good in the end. Fired it up and it is seriously good, initial impressions it is better than Khadas which always sounded a bit clinical to me, whatever it means. I know it is all in my head and I won't be able to tell them apart blind test level-matched, but that's what crossed my mind in a quick A/B test. Also bought a remote from them and stupidly pressed the Line Out button which almost cost me my speakers. Definitely not a good design. Given the experience I'll definitely consider another Topping product in the future, if it measures well of course :)

gvl

Major Contributor
I spent more time with the DX7s. I was afraid it would have the same "sabre glare" as the Khadas board but no such thing. It is a very mellow sounding yet clean and detailed DAC. I could barely tolerate Khadas playing through my (some rightly say they are bright) Klipsch Forte speakers, but the DX7s sounds just right. I wish I could find an scientific explanation of this phenomenon as both DACs measured very close here. I am running it at about -20dB attenuation into an external power amp and Khadas at 0dB into a (passive) preamp, perhaps it has something to do with it. It is using the same DAC chips as the Khadas, so seems any glare there is has nothing to do with ESS hardware. I can't discern any obvious differences between the filters in a casual test, perhaps playback needs to be stopped for a newly selected filter to take effect, and I'm just using the remote to flip through.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wish I could find an scientific explanation of this phenomenon as both DACs measured very close here. I am running it at about -20dB attenuation into an external power amp and Khadas at 0dB into a (passive) preamp, perhaps it has something to do with it.

Try the DX7s with that passive attenuator.

Top Bottom