• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

toppology

Well not sure it that fits the forum rules here, but as you ask, I may just as well provide some background.

I became mesmerized about the D50 exactly by this thread and the great valued measurements taken by Amirm.

Looking for a dual clock DAC at an affordable price tag and good specs it first seemed to be a no-brainer.

But live isn't that easy going as I had to learn over a long period of time. Quite any audio gear I own or have owned needed modifications here or there to bring it up to its very best sonic performance.

So any device with good specs can be a solid starting point as its not, that bad measuring device will per se sound better. They can though, otherwise the whole valves camp, I'm not in by the way, would be just silly.

Keeping in mind that after each question about the specs, there is the totally different question about how it sounds.

Knowing that there are actually two questions to be answered is halfway the road to personal satisfaction.

Last edited:

toppology

On other places there already was brought up that the D50 does have impaired USB operation.
Hence I would appreciate any further measurements per USB to possibly trace that down.

Might be, that inserting the Intona USB isolator Amirm has at hand IRC, could also shade some light on that specific issue.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks
I would have hoped for some more detailled ones, to better see what parts are on and where to possibly tap in for modifications

Reason is the specs are certainly stellar, but auditioning feedback isn't.
SQ seems to be ok, vastly provided by happy new owners, but on the long run I see a lot of people selling the D50 as the initial hype obviously does not make it very long.

For me it would be solely a starting point with solid specs but not expecting to really satisfy me in its stock form.

Having read through this thread I also was hoping that a full set of USB measurements would come up.
Did I miss them?

Approach seems not as most but okay have best fun with mod and please share if you get it perform or sound better and maybe include some measurements before and after, about USB measurements think you missed them at page 2 plus 3, about chips you have dual ES9038Q2M then three times OPA1612 and in software meny is 7 selectable PCM filters, actual there is some good zoomed in detail pictures on D50 product page but instead of copy them here try yourself go its link: http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=37.html)

toppology

Thanks for the thumbs up.
As for measurements I'm limited to what can be done by an E-MU 0404 and thus I would not expect to bring up any scientific relevant results on the very edge of what can be perceived.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Welcome @toppology, in another thread into post 11 is multitone (32) analysis for D50: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...battle-of-schiit-audio-dacs.5487/#post-121811

And if you dislike ESS hump then DX3 Pro multitone (32) analysis is into post 24 here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-schiit-audio-dacs.5487/page-2#post-121863

Theres also the cheaper naked PCB from Khadas with excelent numbers although filters are not selectable: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-wesiontek-khadas-tone-board-dac.4823/

Multitone (32) analysis for Khadas board can be seen here although that thread is another brand including nice enclosure its the same Khadas Tone board inside: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ew-and-measurements-of-march-audio-dac1.5755/

Last edited:

Reddy

Well not sure it that fits the forum rules here, but as you ask, I may just as well provide some background.

I became mesmerized about the D50 exactly by this thread and the great valued measurements taken by Amirm.

Looking for a dual clock DAC at an affordable price tag and good specs it first seemed to be a no-brainer.

But live isn't that easy going as I had to learn over a long period of time. Quite any audio gear I own or have owned needed modifications here or there to bring it up to its very best sonic performance.

So any device with good specs can be a solid starting point as its not, that bad measuring device will per se sound better. They can though, otherwise the whole valves camp, I'm not in by the way, would be just silly.

Keeping in mind that after each question about the specs, there is the totally different question about how it sounds.

Knowing that there are actually two questions to be answered is halfway the road to personal satisfaction.

The thing is, and I am actually a little disappointed that experts barely mention it here:

Less noise at the vcc analog pins automatically means an increase in sound quality. Moreover, resistances in the signal circuit shall not have any influence on the what is going on (z-foil).

Complemented by low crystal phase noise values and sensuous ground circuits.

I have never seen any audio gear that comes near to projecting actual genuine tonal possibilities. And many people do not even suspect that is possible.

I will stay tuned.

Roen

I might recommend waiting until CNY sales.

Singles day sales were pretty good as well, for those who don't know (11/11)

Roen

There was a request for the filter responses of Topping D50. Here they are:

View attachment 14651

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but can someone explain why Mode 1 is the recommended filter?

Is it because Mode 1 is the filter that has the highest level, before sharply decreasing to the required cut-off?

Reddy

the use of a linear supply is audible.
the d50 now has better separetion and blacker backround. but it is a little step, i think the inside switcher for the opa amps is now the limitation

da Choge

Forum Donor
Newbie here; apologies in advance. Don't know quite where to start, but I like the no-nonsense vibe I get from your website. Very interested in getting an inexpensive, but quite capable, DAC for my bedroom setup. Using the Oppo UDP-205 USB/HDMI DAC in my living room. The OPPO is presently connected via USB (and via HDMI directly to the server for multi-channel) to a microRendu (yes, I drank the Kool-Aid and just recently bought-in), which is in turn connected to a ROON ROCK NUC (Intel NUC7i7DNHE) core server. Been reading with keen interest the testing that has been done on this site over the past 2 years on the Sonore microRendu, which, so far, has made me feel a little foolish. Now I'm working my way through this thread to find out all I can about the Topping D50 DAC (still only 1/4 way through), which at $250.00, is the MAX I want to spend on a bedroom DAC. The two top contenders are the SMSL M8a and the Topping. The Topping, being a 2 DAC chip solution, is of great interest, but I have questions about its USB implementation. And on that subject, has there been any conclusive evidence to point to any of these USB audio gadgets that shows if any of them have any validity? Don't mind doing my own reading/research - just point me in the right direction. Thanks !!!

- john

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
And on that subject, has there been any conclusive evidence to point to any of these USB audio gadgets that shows if any of teem have any validity? Don't mind doing my own reading/research - just point me in the right direction. Thanks !!!

So far none or these devices have been proven useful, nope.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

Same with my dac, sweep tone fails on right channel

Thanks for testing!

Now we have tested three Topping D50's and all have the same issue with Right Channel failing.

Since I've tested both thru USB & SPDIF my conclusion is that the problem is after the input sections i.e. implementation of the Right channel DAC chip.

Still no response from Topping, maybe a few support mails from other affected users may help.

chosen_too

Thanks for testing!

Now we have tested three Topping D50's and all have the same issue with Right Channel failing.

Since I've tested both thru USB & SPDIF my conclusion is that the problem is after the input sections i.e. implementation of the Right channel DAC chip.

Still no response from Topping, maybe a few support mails from other affected users may help.

I'll try to send them a message with file attached.

Here is sweep tone itself, interesting if issue affect all revisions or just latest.

https://ufile.io/uha14

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the use of a linear supply is audible.
the d50 now has better separetion and blacker backround. but it is a little step, i think the inside switcher for the opa amps is now the limitation
I don't think this kind of assumptions will be welcome here. ;)
I would suggest to send your unit to @amirm with the custom PSU to see if it differs in any way. Perhaps you're right.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I noticed that this review (and other older reviews) doesnt have the first measurement that newer reviews have, like here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/ Dashboard view of a 1 kHz tone at full amplitude, FFT spectrum, etc.

Was there a change in test plan and can we get the measurements updated for older reviews? Thanks.
Yes, I have been gradually standardizing and those early reviews are bit different. Here is the dashboard for D50 I just ran:

Topping D50 DAC Measurements.png

And SINAD table:

1546502723095.png

Top Bottom