• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

raif71

Major Contributor
The silence from me is almost deafening, I feel I must say something about the E30 and D10s but why bother .... :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

ndonaghy

Hello. I just got myself a D10s to better connect my Win10 laptop to my Edifier S2000 Pros. For the most part, this is working fine - I'm happy with WASAPI shared mode @ 192 kHz, using coaxial S/PDIF between the DAC and speakers. The speakers have a TI PCM9211 which tops out at 216 kHz.

When I use the DAC in exclusive mode, some sample rates (88.2 kHz, 176.4 kHz) aren't playing through the speakers via digital connection. The DAC display shows the correct rate. I can confirm all other rates from 44.1 kHz to 96 kHz are working fine this way. The rates which aren't working on the speakers _are_ outputting fine via the D10s analogue RCA outputs.

I've tried with both the generic and the Topping drivers. I tried both coaxial and optical connections. No change.

I conclude I must have some problem with my S2000 Pro speakers, or how they've implemented use of the PCM9211 chip. Just on the off-chance though, has anyone else experienced such a problem with their D10s?

It's just an academic curiosity, but if I could get these sample rates working with this setup in exclusive mode, I would satisfy myself there is no audible quality difference with exclusive 88.2 kHz + no resampling vs shared 88.2 kHz + resampling to 192 kHz.

Thanks!

Edit: one mention of "88.2 kHz" was missing the ".2"

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello. I just got myself a D10s to better connect my Win10 laptop to my Edifier S2000 Pros. For the most part, this is working fine - I'm happy with WASAPI shared mode @ 192 kHz, using coaxial S/PDIF between the DAC and speakers. The speakers have a TI PCM9211 which tops out at 216 kHz. ...

I was initially confused by Edifier's description of how the S2000 Pro is configured, but I believe it I have it figured out now.

The PCM9211 is not a DAC. It's a Digital Audio Interface Transceiver (DIX) that receives the coax or optical input and converts it to a digital signal compatible with the input of the TAS5754 digital amp chips, which do not accept an analog input. The DAC is actually a function within that amp chip.

https://www.ti.com/product/PCM9211

https://www.ti.com/product/TAS5754M

The description of the speaker states:

"The onboard DAC (digital-to-analogue conversion) and ADC (analogue-to-digital conversion) of the S2000Pro has a built-in officially branded Burr-Brown PCM1802 Texas Instrument."

That can't be right, as the PCM1802 is and ADC only, not a combination ADC/DAC chip. That implies it's used to convert the RCA analog inputs to a digital format compatible with the TAS5754 inputs. It tops out at 24 bit/96 kHz output:

https://www.ti.com/product/PCM9211

I wondered why you wouldn't just use the analog outputs of the D10 until I read that the amp chips in the S2000 don't accept an analog input.

Perhaps because the highest sample rate that can be generated from the RCA analog inputs to the chip amps is 96 kHz, the designers opted for that same limit on the digital input?

Curious...how were you feeding the speakers before you got the D10? Via the analog output of the laptop to the RCA inputs?

ndonaghy

Thanks for replying sejarzo.

Indeed I think their sales bumpf is best ignored and indeed it's the DIX function in the PCM9211 of interest. Currently driven at 192 kHz (tops out at 216 kHz).

Before I got the D10s, I had three choices, (1) laptop onboard analog, (2) USB dock, both Realtek chips of some cheap and nasty flavour, (3) Bluetooth. The best quality was via Bluetooth (4.0 aptX - codec verified in Win10 performance monitor dumps).

MrOtto

I have some problem with D10 and Tidal in exclusive mode. Some tracks plays with corrupted sound, more often when using v5.0 Topping driver. v4.86 works better, but still some sound corruption on some tracks. Disabling exclusive mode solves the problem, but now Windows is resampling the music.

Asmodeus2112

I have some problem with D10 and Tidal in exclusive mode. Some tracks plays with corrupted sound, more often when using v5.0 Topping driver. v4.86 works better, but still some sound corruption on some tracks. Disabling exclusive mode solves the problem, but now Windows is resampling the music.
I use a D10 with Tidal in exclusive mode too. I have never had this problem. Just saying because that might help you diagnose. I think you may have a defective D10 or something is going on in your PC, I don't think it is an issue with a properly functioning D10.

Haze

Does anyone have a guide on how to fix the Topping D10s inverted polarity problem?

L5730

Does anyone have a guide on how to fix the Topping D10s inverted polarity problem?
D10's (pertaining to D10) or D10s' (pertaining to the newer D10s)?

I thought only some models of the older D10 had a polarity swap. I'll check my D10 later, but I thought I had checked and it had correct polarity.

Sak

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Issue with my Topping D10 after a few months of loyal duties. Now tt goes mute after 12 minutes of a movie in VLC. I have to switch to the computer native soundcard and back to the D10, or unplug and plug again the D10 every time to have sound again.

rvsixer

Hi,

Issue with my Topping D10 after a few months of loyal duties. Now tt goes mute after 12 minutes of a movie in VLC. I have to switch to the computer native soundcard and back to the D10, or unplug and plug again the D10 every time to have sound again.
With all those variables in the playback chain, how did you positively identify the D10 as the culprit?

dienow

I have a question - if I use the Topping D10 as USB to SPDIF converter in order to clean the USB signal from jitter, will it pass through MQA so that my SMSL M500 (full decoder) can decode it? I use Raspberry pi 4 with Volumio as a streamer and source and I am concerned with the quality of USB signal I am getting from it. What I am thinking to do is to go from raspberry pi 4 with USB to Topping D10 and from that with SPDIF to SMSL M500. Thank you in advance for any advice on that issue.

0bs3rv3r

I have a question - if I use the Topping D10 as USB to SPDIF converter in order to clean the USB signal from jitter, will it pass through MQA so that my SMSL M500 (full decoder) can decode it? I use Raspberry pi 4 with Volumio as a streamer and source and I am concerned with the quality of USB signal I am getting from it. What I am thinking to do is to go from raspberry pi 4 with USB to Topping D10 and from that with SPDIF to SMSL M500. Thank you in advance for any advice on that issue.

I use moOde on the rPi 4 and 3 (so much the same) and USB to a D10. I am wondering why the USB signal needs to be cleaned. rPi 4 has better hardware, not that I have ever had problems with the rPi 3 USB iterface to the D10. Modern USB chips do a very good job of buffering and reclocking - so unless the SMSL has a particular problem, why would you need to do this?

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a question - if I use the Topping D10 as USB to SPDIF converter in order to clean the USB signal from jitter, will it pass through MQA so that my SMSL M500 (full decoder) can decode it?
No. MQA only works over USB. Only latest-generation on-chip decoding DACs like ESS9068AS can decode MQA from any source..

Top Bottom