• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Was there ever a firmware released for this or the d10s? What happens if you remove that topping driver and let windows use native USB?

bakker_be

Was there ever a firmware released for this or the d10s? What happens if you remove that topping driver and let windows use native USB?
I recall doing a firmware update at some point, without negative effects. When the device eventually got in the state described above, I've tested it on several PC's, both with & without the driver, Windows as well as Ubuntu, no difference at all :-(

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I recall doing a firmware update at some point, without negative effects. When the device eventually got in the state described above, I've tested it on several PC's, both with & without the driver, Windows as well as Ubuntu, no difference at all :-(
With ubuntu what do you see in dmesg when you plug it in, and what does lsusb show?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Please post back if you have a solution. Mine's been sitting in the box for more than a year already with exactly the same issue
tuandes, Have you or bakker_be contacted Topping about the issue? Maybe they'll step up on a warranty repair or a trade in/up of these defective units? Worth the time of an email or phone call, no?

tuandes

tuandes, Have you or bakker_be contacted Topping about the issue? Maybe they'll step up on a warranty repair or a trade in/up of these defective units? Worth the time of an email or phone call, no?
I sent some emails to them, but no response from them

bakker_be

I contacted the vendor where I bought it (on AliExpress), reply was to ship it back at my expense. As this would cost me almost as much as the device had cost, I didn't do anything further.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
^^^
Sorry my ideas were no help. :(

tuandes

This is the response from Topping
"Your unit may be faulty. If you want to repair it, you could send it back to China. (You could send the units directly without accessories.).....
You need to pay the round-trip shipping and cost for components if necessary.....".

It's sad that the product life cycle is only 2 years
It's a shame because their products look very well made and are fantastic when they work, but I assume they don't test their products very well before releasing to the market. I am really sick of issues with Topping products.

tuandes

Sometimes the screen suddenly appear 44.1PCM momentarily. I shake the USB jack, sometimes the screen appears 44.1 and then disappears. I connected the USB for a few hours and the D10 box heated up. I open the board and check by hand, the XMOS chip is quite hot. Speculating that some of the resistors around the Xmos chip are dead and need to be replaced? Or xmos chip is broken? Any other suggestions to check out? Needs to be discovered because it doesn't work anymore anyway.

Pattern

I seem to have Identified a potential issue with my D10. it is as of now not clear what the actual cause of the issue is, however it seems to be resolved by unplugging my D10 and removing the Topping drivers and software from my PC. as a thorough disclaimer, I am not saying that the issue is on Topping's end and the possibility is strong that it is actually a Windows error or some hardware gremlin. I am posting this here for the benefit of people who may have similar issues in the future.

My PC began to experience failed boots on occasion which could be solved with the good ole "turn it off, and turn it back on again" pretty reliably. Unfortunately this progressed to CPU/GPU load independent bluescreens several times a day, the dreaded WHEA Uncorrectable Error. These bluescreens were not producing minidumps for troubleshooting which made for a long process of swapping out known good parts and trying various software fixes. basically if you can find it on google as a potential solution I tried it. Clean GPU driver reinstalls, every diagnostic software, every load test, updated bios, updated chipset drivers, you name it, I tried it. It is fairly well known that Nvidia GPU audio drivers can occasionally conflict with other audio drivers on windows systems so I removed every single audio driver on my system that wasn't my Topping D10, which was running the latest driver version (5.27) and firmware. still the bluescreens persisted. at this point I decided "the hell with it" and completely removed the Topping from my system and uninstalled the drivers and software. I reinstalled the Nvidia sound drivers which are now the only sound drivers on my system and run an analog out to my desktop amp from my monitor :(

I have not bluescreened in 2 days of regular use including heavy gaming on high settings.

system specs for those curious and those troubleshooting their own way out of hell.
MSI Z390-A Pro
Intel I5 9600k
Zotac RTX-3060ti
16 gb (8x2) ddr4 3000mhz ram
Samsung 970 evo plus boot drive
Corsair RM750x psu
Windows 10 v21H2
zero overclocking

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
The Topping drivers have been nothing but trouble for me. The D10 works good enough with the standard windows drivers.

Veri

Master Contributor
The Topping drivers have been nothing but trouble for me. The D10 works good enough with the standard windows drivers.
The Topping drivers are made by thesyscon, same company that writes the standard windows general purpose audio driver. But I agree, the standard Windows one suffices for most normal use cases.

Alex13k

Good day to all! Guys, could you be so kind to help me, on a officail topping web site now not exist frimware update for dac d 10. May be anyone have firmware update for topping d10 1806 (s/n 1901)? In attachment you could see example. Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• dfb0899555.png
    dfb0899555.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 125

Tony_db

Hi! First of all, thanks for the great review. I have a question: I have a DAC with BNC input and I am considering the Topping as USB-SPDIF converter. Can I replace (with some diy skills) the Coax connector with a BNC one, without any problems? Or would there any impedance matching be involved in this process?
Thanks!

Top Bottom