• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Toku

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what happened by my Topping D10 kicked the bucket along with my Amp. I think the amp went first and may have sent excessive Voltage back through the audio cables (RCA)? There was definitely the burnt electronic smell in the plugs (RCA). Upon review of the board, it appears that the transistor labeled Q1 blew, you can see it in the picture. The OMRON relay might need replacing too as the top of it is not ruler flat (has a hump in the middle). I've gone through the rest of the board and see no other physical damage.

The D10 is not recognized by a computer at all. When I plug it in, the screen breifly shows 44.1PCM for 1 second followed by --- lines. Computer never detcts anything as being plugged in, tried multiple computers.

I can try replacing the transistor and see if that would help but I cannot read the values on it due to damage.

1) Can anyone kind enough post a high res pic or tell me the markings on the transistor?

2) Any know how people in here think the problem is bigger than the transistor as computer can't even detect a dac being plugged in?
THank you,

3) Should I cut my losses and just get an E30?
The transistor is only labeled Y1. You need to ask Topping if the Q1 transistor is PNP or NPN.
I think the purpose of this transistor is to drive the white relay of OMRON next door.
I think it is important to consider why such troubles occur before replacing the transistor.

I bought the E30 in addition to the D10 and the sound quality is clearly improved. I recommend purchasing the E30.

Attachments

• Au7JkCs.jpg
    Au7JkCs.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 201

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I've got the equipment and the skill to do SMD work. Parts likely under $10. My concern is that why would a transistor on the output stop the computer from seeing the DAC altogether, unless it's gone into some sort of safety measure. It would be a $10 gamble I guess but would save me from spending $100-$130.
If you are sure it's the only thing that broke. Sure. It's jellybean 2n5555 smd version. You can get any transistor for cents and solder it on there. It should work as long as it's the correct pin.

Mobeer

The transistor is only labeled Y1. You need to ask Topping if the Q1 transistor is PNP or NPN.
I think the purpose of this transistor is to drive the white relay of OMRON next door.
I think it is important to consider why such troubles occur before replacing the transistor.

I bought the E30 in addition to the D10 and the sound quality is clearly improved. I recommend purchasing the E30.
Thanks, I'm really considering just getting another DAC and not bother with it.

If you are sure it's the only thing that broke. Sure. It's jellybean 2n5555 smd version. You can get any transistor for cents and solder it on there. It should work as long as it's the correct pin.

Thank you very much. For couple dollars, I guess I will give it a go. In your expertise, would this and the OMRON relay cause the DAC to not be detected by the computer at all? I'm not an engineer but I'm not seeing how these two output components would make the board not be recognized by computer (USB chip must not be getting powered).

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Thank you very much. For couple dollars, I guess I will give it a go. In your expertise, would this and the OMRON relay cause the DAC to not be detected by the computer at all?
The relay is rugged. You can remove the opamp and the transistor first. If the dac is still not recognized by the PC then there's something else broken too. In that case you'd better off get a new dac. D10s is quite cheap too but with huge performance uplift (some audible improvement), E30 works too, with remote and spdif inputs.

If the dac gets recognized and opamp ended up broken with the transistor. Then I recommend getting a ne5532a as replacement.

Toku

Major Contributor

Thank you very much. For couple dollars, I guess I will give it a go. In your expertise, would this and the OMRON relay cause the DAC to not be detected by the computer at all? I'm not an engineer but I'm not seeing how these two output components would make the board not be recognized by computer (USB chip must not be getting powered).
I can't tell you the details because I don't have a circuit diagram. However, I think the part where the problem occurred is the mute circuit part of the output using the OMRON relay. So I guess it's not directly related to USB connection troubles.
What I can suggest is that it is necessary to carefully consider the process by which this trouble occurred.

Mobeer

Thank you everyone who responded to my question. You have all been great help.

The relay is rugged. You can remove the opamp and the transistor first. If the dac is still not recognized by the PC then there's something else broken too. In that case you'd better off get a new dac. D10s is quite cheap too but with huge performance uplift (some audible improvement), E30 works too, with remote and spdif inputs.

If the dac gets recognized and opamp ended up broken with the transistor. Then I recommend getting a ne5532a as replacement.

I think you are correct. I've taken off the transistor and removed the opamp and yet no detection by the computer. I also measured some voltage around the board (The board has test points with #V at the test points), and all Voltage = what's printed on that board. I just do not see why the USB would not work if there was something wrong on the analog side of the boards. The board appears to be pretty well laid out separating digital and analog side. So fact that I can't get the DAC to be recognized at all by any of my computers even though there is power flowing through it tells me something else got fried too and is just not "visible" as the transistor which literally popped a hole in it.

I ordered an E30 and hopefully I get a fixed version and not the old stock with polarity issues.

I can't tell you the details because I don't have a circuit diagram. However, I think the part where the problem occurred is the mute circuit part of the output using the OMRON relay. So I guess it's not directly related to USB connection troubles.
What I can suggest is that it is necessary to carefully consider the process by which this trouble occurred.

The amp (Dayton Audio APA150) just went out randomly and appears to have failed somewhere on the power board around rectifier setup hard to say if rectifier failed, transformer failed. It had been giving me problems with turning off and on randomly for few months so something must have been failing. It just never bothered me because it sounded great when it ran. I didn't think it would pop one day and also take out my DAC. Pretty upset about it. It's been out of warranty for some time so not many options I have but to replace the amp. I guess I'll be replacing the DAC along with it.

Now I go amp hunting. Since I have a good "Chassis" of the APA150, I am really considering a TPA3255 amp. I've heard great things about the E3 Audio TPA3255 board. I can easily fit the amp board and a Mean Well 36V power supply in the chassis and reused all the plugs. For Under $100, this is sounding very tempting.

zenon

I'm not sure what happened by my Topping D10 kicked the bucket along with my Amp. I think the amp went first and may have sent excessive Voltage back through the audio cables (RCA)? There was definitely the burnt electronic smell in the plugs (RCA). Upon review of the board, it appears that the transistor labeled Q1 blew, you can see it in the picture. The OMRON relay might need replacing too as the top of it is not ruler flat (has a hump in the middle). I've gone through the rest of the board and see no other physical damage.

The D10 is not recognized by a computer at all. When I plug it in, the screen breifly shows 44.1PCM for 1 second followed by --- lines. Computer never detcts anything as being plugged in, tried multiple computers.

I can try replacing the transistor and see if that would help but I cannot read the values on it due to damage.

1) Can anyone kind enough post a high res pic or tell me the markings on the transistor?

2) Any know how people in here think the problem is bigger than the transistor as computer can't even detect a dac being plugged in?
THank you,

3) Should I cut my losses and just get an E30?
t.jpg

Toku

Major Contributor
Thank you everyone who responded to my question. You have all been great help.
Now I go amp hunting. Since I have a good "Chassis" of the APA150, I am really considering a TPA3255 amp. I've heard great things about the E3 Audio TPA3255 board. I can easily fit the amp board and a Mean Well 36V power supply in the chassis and reused all the plugs. For Under $100, this is sounding very tempting.
I have purchased and are using 2ch and Mono of 3e audio TPA3255 amplifier. The 3e audio amp board is great and I think the idea of incorporating these into the APA150 case is very good.

Mobeer

I got the E30 DAC today. Maybe I was used to the sound of the D10 but I feel the D10 was slightly "warmer". The E30 definitely sounds more cleaner and "crisper" in the upper range.
The D10 also had hundred of hours of use and I think I may just have gotten used to the sound of it. I'm sure I'll come around to loving the E30 too.

Props to the D10 though, still beast of a DAC.

I have purchased and are using 2ch and Mono of 3e audio TPA3255 amplifier. The 3e audio amp board is great and I think the idea of incorporating these into the APA150 case is very good.

Yes, I bought a 48V Mean Well PS for $30 and $70 for the 3e TPA3255 board. I will reuse the volume/power/input/output buttons and connectors already on the APA150. Not bad for a $100 amp I suppose. I've heard great things, I don't think I will be disappointed.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
But now there should be a comparison between D10s and E30.

Sure, whatever. I mean they all measure well within the realm of transparency so I'm not sure on what basis they would have notably different sound characteristics - other than the wonderful world of magic of course.

svenz

I wonder how it is clearly improved? I thought this DAC was audibly transparent.

Toku

Major Contributor
I wonder how it is clearly improved? I thought this DAC was audibly transparent.
Anyone can clearly hear the difference in sound quality between D10 <-> D10s D10 <-> E30.
D10s <-> The difference in sound quality of the E30 can only be understood by listening carefully.

There are various factors that make a difference, such as circuit changes, DAC chip mounting technology, parts quality improvement, and PC board design technology improvement.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone can clearly hear the difference in sound quality between D10 <-> D10s D10 <-> E30.
D10s <-> The difference in sound quality of the E30 can only be understood by listening carefully.

There are various factors that make a difference, such as circuit changes, DAC chip mounting technology, parts quality improvement, and PC board design technology improvement.

I'm not going to tell you what you hear or what you don't, it'd be rude. I will say though, that I thought the point of this forum was to demonstrate differences with measurements, rather than state them from experiences. Listening tests must be level-matched and not knowing which is currently playing (some might say also not knowing what is being compared), else all bets are off - that's a given.
All measurements indicate there are measurable differences between the three units you mention. However, all data suggests differences are inaudible. Maybe there are other places to look and measure? D10 doesn't have such comprehensive measurements as the latter two.

svenz

Please don't state such subjective things like it's fact unless you have something to back it up. It misleads people who try to use this forum to discuss measurable differences in audio quality. DAC mounting technology... give me a break.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Uh huh...

Windofrce

Guys try to consider Khadas Tone Board. That lil DAC have much more details and dynamics than D10s and E30.

Top Bottom