• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So we dont adding the 820 Ohm resistor from the D10 board?
If this is correct, we really need an OPAmp with bipolar input....
The 820 ohm resistor is just to emulating the output impedance of 9018. We all thought it's 820ohm. It's not far off tho. If you look at reference design there isn't a resistor after the dac before the opamp. Some diagrams includes the resistor in the dac chip as it's basically what it is.

However on the choice of opamp. It's very complicated and not cut and dry. With a given implementation, you swap opamps you can get very non-conclusive result. But you may choose a better opamp then build the peripheral around it. I'm not competent in dac design but it's simply not that simple.

guenthi_r

The 820 ohm resistor is just to emulating the output impedance of 9018. We all thought it's 820ohm. It's not far off tho. If you look at reference design there isn't a resistor after the dac before the opamp. Some diagrams includes the resistor in the dac chip as it's basically what it is.
Oh, i am an idiot :facepalm:
Thanks for clarifying!

So, the best OPAmp "noisewise" was LME49990 or his replacement, OPA1612.

Attachments

• Opamp Noise Visualizer.pdf
    203.1 KB · Views: 263

zenon

I tried OPA1612, but was not impressed with the sound. Compared to the ADA4898-2, the OPA1612 has less controllable bass and seems to be a rumbling sound. Of course, this is my opinion.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I tried OPA1612, but was not impressed with the sound. Compared to the ADA4898-2, the OPA1612 has less controllable bass and seems to be a rumbling sound. Of course, this is my opinion.
4898 seem to have lower noise but I suspect the distortion performance to be as good.

zenon

About 30 years ago I was very keen on Hifi. I had reel to reel tape decks, turntables, etc. So when my maniac passed, I realized I was hearing with my ears, not with my eyes. I.e. not always good paper performance is expressed in good and/or true sound.
Аt the present moment (for me) it makes more sense sound to come closer to reality than to have many zeros.

HAL9000

When all the problems that can reasonably be fixed have been fixed, then the OPA1612 sounds better in standard 3-opamp output stage of the DAC. You may still have a lot of work somewhere in your signal chain to do getting the dac to sound better.
Also all depends on the good USB cable (this may sound scientifically silly - but I have such a resolute system that I can tell the difference between USB cables, power cables...etc.), interconnect cables, preamplifier, amplifier and speakers.

Last edited:

guenthi_r

Diagram with AD4898:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-08-19 08-05-13.png

When i have a little more time, i will adding some new TI-OPAs

zenon

When all the problems that can reasonably be fixed have been fixed, then the OPA1612 sounds better in standard 3-opamp output stage of the DAC. You may still have a lot of work somewhere in your signal chain to do getting the dac to sound better.
Also all depends on the good USB cable (this may sound scientifically silly - but I have such a resolute system that I can tell the difference between USB cables, power cables...etc.), interconnect cables, preamplifier, amplifier and speakers.
No, it's not silly at all. Cables are very important. For best results, the cables must be single-core (especially power cables), this is a suffering discovery ... a long time ago.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it's not silly at all. Cables are very important. For best results, the cables must be single-core (especially power cables), this is a suffering discovery ... a long time ago.

Please show some proof in the form of measurements.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Please describe your system and, better, record some output with various cables to prove it.

Veri

Master Contributor
(this may sound scientifically silly - but I have such a resolute system that I can tell the difference between USB cables, power cables...etc.), interconnect cables, preamplifier, amplifier and speakers.
:facepalm:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You just quoted your own counter-argument.

Summary
(...)

2. I have hugely magnified these differences. Without this magnification, the differences even with lousy DACs like Schiit are literally in the noise.

So nothing here explains the fantastical subjective differences people report between USB cables. I suggest those people conduct some blind test to get to the truth of whether they are hearing any differences especially if they are using better DACs than Schiit Modi 2.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

You're kidding, right?

Krunok

Major Contributor
You're kidding, right?

No he's not. This thread has become subjectivist's playground where they are trolling schiit like this without any control. In fact most DAC related threads eventually end up like this, and as this is mostly DAC related forum future doesn't look too bright to me.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Diagram with AD4898:
View attachment 31696

When i have a little more time, i will adding some new TI-OPAs

No need, those who need them will easily find them. How about showing picture of your D10 where you re-soldered SMD op amps to replace them? It would also be interesting to see your measurements which you said you have made.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
No he's not. This thread has become subjectivist's playground where they are trolling schiit like this without any control. In fact most DAC related threads eventually end up like this, and as this is mostly DAC related forum future doesn't look too bright to me.

It's a shame people can't do a little more independent reading, instead of just believing whoever answers..

Top Bottom