• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Timbo2

We just lack insight into their serial number process. The first two digits could be a hardware revision and the next two could signify a production run, what firmware was loaded, or something else. The third digit (the 0) might be the minor hardware revision and the fourth might be the firmware. Or it might be something totally different.

When their utilities show the firmware as v6.F2 regardless of what's loaded, it doesn't give me great confidence in their version control procedures.

I just happened to notice that my Sabaj DA3 has the same "firmware" v6.F2. It is labeled "Revision" under the XMOS Windows tray application.

To me this suggests that it has nothing to do with Topping's firmware version tracking. No idea if this is firmware or hardware revision - i.e. it may never change if it is hardware.

έχω δίκιο

I just happened to notice that my Sabaj DA3 has the same "firmware" v6.F2. It is labeled "Revision" under the XMOS Windows tray application.
Interesting. It looks like it's a part of the standard for USB devices:

Topping D10 System Info.png

To me this suggests that it has nothing to do with Topping's firmware version tracking.
I've seen no evidence they have any firmware version tracking. There is no way to display the version of firmware in the D10. The bin file they sent to revert my 1805 series D10 to its shipping firmware version was named "1804_D10_USB_old.bin". The "1804" is confidence inspiring when mine is a SN 1805 series, and "old" is a great way to label versions. Their flashing utility is willing to blindly flash incompatible firmware into a D10, bricking it (according to their own warning). I don't even know if it checks the integrity of the .bin file that it flashes. They have some top-notch hardware engineers there, but they need an embedded systems guy to teach them how to do version control on firmware.

έχω δίκιο

Is there a Topping representative in this thread?
There must be a Topping rep.who is reading ASR, I am almost 99% certain.
These are the same people who replied by email to me, writing "[w]e only check this email twice every week..." And by "this email," they were referring to [email protected], their only listed support email address.

έχω δίκιο

Why not, team work...audio manufacturers/audio measurements/customer's feedback.
Are you willing to buy all of the Topping products for Amir to review in the future? What happens if Topping comes here and decides that the bad publicity from discussions like this outweighs the benefit of providing products for review?

If you've made up your mind to provide Topping links to this discussion, I can't stop you, but I would ask that you consult with Amir first. Maybe he will have no objection, but I'd at least give him the option to weigh in.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you willing to buy all of the Topping products for Amir to review in the future? What happens if Topping comes here and decides that the bad publicity from discussions like this outweighs the benefit of providing products for review?
Thanks for the concern but that is OK. I have bought a number of Topping products and received more on loan from members.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

If you've made up your mind to provide Topping links to this discussion, I can't stop you, but I would ask that you consult with Amir first. Maybe he will have no objection, but I'd at least give him the option to weigh in.

My intention is positive; to improve a very affordable and good measuring DAC.
...By inviting one of the Topping reps here so that he can benefit from customers feedback. ...No more no less. Interacting and communicating directly between customers and manufacturers and reviewers is a beneficial deal for everyone.
I have great interest and respect for all you do, Amir do and Topping do.
Their products deserve the best, I think. That's the reason why I share what I said.

I know Amir is all for the pursuit of advancement @ the service of science and happiness. I am sailing on the same ship, and so are many more.

Cheers,

έχω δίκιο

My intention is positive; to improve a very affordable and good measuring DAC.
I never doubted your good intentions and, since Amir has weighed in with his 'okay,' it seems like a good thing to bring up to Topping. It would probably be more worthwhile coming from you, or anyone other than me, because I've already emailed them enough that I'm likely thought to be on a crusade. I suggest linking to a specific message that you think spells out the problem clearly, perhaps identifying specific systems on which it is seen. But I'll leave that up to your good judgment.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I gave a link to Topping when I replicated the original problem. Other than difficulty of them following our English conversations, I think they should be aware of what we are saying.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I never doubted your good intentions and, since Amir has weighed in with his 'okay,' it seems like a good thing to bring up to Topping. It would probably be more worthwhile coming from you, or anyone other than me, because I've already emailed them enough that I'm likely thought to be on a crusade. I suggest linking to a specific message that you think spells out the problem clearly, perhaps identifying specific systems on which it is seen. But I'll leave that up to your good judgment.

Me I am the next customer, and if I posted here that is exactly why; to make sure I won't run into any issue. I thought it was obvious.

I have read Amir's excellent measurements and recommendation. I also have read some issues that customers have.

If it's ok with everyone I will email them with the link of this thread and ask them to read it all, and to participate? I only asked you because you are a nice outspoken person with more direct experience than I. Me I simply represent all future customers, including myself.

Chinese engineers are smart, they have a translation feature on their browsers.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I just tried to contact them to proceed with the goods:
http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/d10/index.htm

Sorry, the page you requested is currently unavailable!
This could be caused by:
  1. The URL you have entered is incorrect or the page you are looking for may have been updated or deleted
  2. The website you are visiting is being filed and temporarily blocked.
_____
* This contact was directly taken from Amir's first post (in need of correcting?)

What is their business email address?
Do they have a customer service center in North America?

What is the warranty?

έχω δίκιο

If it's ok with everyone I will email them with the link of this thread and ask them to read it all, and to participate? I only asked you because you are a nice outspoken person with more direct experience than I. Me I simply represent all future customers, including myself.
Thank you. I've not often been accused of being nice!

I think it will be good for Topping to hear from you, a future customer who has concerns about the "sleep of death"™ problems introduced with their new D10 update. Given how prevalent it seems to be, I can't believe that they would experience much difficulty reproducing it if they tried on more than a few desktop PCs.

esm

Forum Donor
Sorry, the page you requested is currently unavailable!
Just FYI for others, I've noticed that HiChina (who Topping uses as a DNS hosting provider) has serious DNS performance problems from the US, to the point where my lookups time out trying to resolve en.tpdz.net the first time I visit them in a while. I wish they'd run a nameserver or two outside the great firewall, but I assume there are local legal issues with that. :(

tl;dr: try again in a couple of minutes

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom