• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Hemicrusher

Seems to be quite a few H/W revisions in such a short period. Hopefully amirm can work his magic with Topping and at least give the group an answer..... since people reading this thread might pass on this cool little DAC.

bakker_be

They told me there are two distinct hardware revisions each of which requires different firmware.
And I believe I received a third revision, as my serial is beyond the ones addressed by the updates. Mine starts with 1806, probably yymm of manufacture.

Hemicrusher

And I believe I received a third revision, as my serial is beyond the ones addressed by the updates. Mine starts with 1806, probably yymm of manufacture.

I was thinking that....But the 17XX and 18XX are the two versions.....and 1806 just fits into the second.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did they tell you what are the differences?
No. They said that in the context of difficulty of updating the D10 firmware as they had to do the work twice.

Hemicrusher

Nope, the 18xx range on the site is 1801 to 1805, so 1806 isn't listed...

Maybe when they posted the firmware, 1805 was the highest serial and they moved to 1806 when the fixed firmware was shipping with it. 18XX still might be the hardware revision.

Timbo2

Maybe when they posted the firmware, 1805 was the highest serial and they moved to 1806 when the fixed firmware was shipping with it. 18XX still might be the hardware revision.

Which would be interesting as baker_be isn’t having the sleep issues.

Hemicrusher

He might have a revised firmware later than the posted one on Topping. The one posted might have been a quick fix and they are just slow in posting the revised one because the quick fix introduced a new issue.

έχω δίκιο

We just lack insight into their serial number process. The first two digits could be a hardware revision and the next two could signify a production run, what firmware was loaded, or something else. The third digit (the 0) might be the minor hardware revision and the fourth might be the firmware. Or it might be something totally different.

When their utilities show the firmware as v6.F2 regardless of what's loaded, it doesn't give me great confidence in their version control procedures.

Quijano

Mine's serial is 1806 as the baker_be one, but has the sleep issue.
I've found that with this usb 3 hub (Transcend TS-HUB3K, powered or unpowered) the problem dissapears with all tested systems: Windows, Linux, Mac, iPad. Only iPad needs the hub to be powered.

Hemicrusher

Mine's serial is 1806 as the baker_be one, but has the sleep issue.
I've found that with this usb 3 hub (Transcend TS-HUB3K, powered or unpowered) the problem dissapears with all tested systems: Windows, Linux, Mac, iPad. Only iPad needs the hub to be powered.

So just putting a hub between the DAC and computer, in this case a Transcend TS-HUB3K, solves the issue?

douteiful

Just came to let you know that the new firmware did fix feedback lockup issue for me; and the relay clicking has only occured once and has never occurred again. It seems it's much less sensitive now.
But I also can confirm that putting the computer to sleep locks the device. But since I use a desktop PC I almost never put it to sleep and since it fixed my primary issue I'm staying with the new firmware. I hope the sleep issue gets fixed soon as well.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Just came to let you know that the new firmware did fix feedback lockup issue for me; and the relay clicking has only occured once and has never occurred again. It seems it's much less sensitive now.
But I also can confirm that putting the computer to sleep locks the device. But since I use a desktop PC I almost never put it to sleep and since it fixed my primary issue I'm staying with the new firmware. I hope the sleep issue gets fixed soon as well.

Well, it seems that this firmware fixed one thing and screwed another. Hopefully somebody at Topping is reading this thread.

Top Bottom