• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

AresHarvest

Same - flashed new firmware and so far all is well. Device control panel shows v1.02, and sleep has worked so far. Using a Windows 10, D10 is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

έχω δίκιο

I got up this morning and the display of my 1805 series D10, with the 1.02 firmware, was showing “- - -“ rather than “ . “ as I would have expected. No problems with it working when the computer woke up. I suspect that this could be related to Apple’s “Power Nap” feature: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204032

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a recurring bug! It happened to me, too, just yesterday.
I came back from an errand and brought the comp out of sleep, started to play music, and nada...nothing. D10 showed the rate etc.....I rebooted....still nothing.

Then I saw my amp was off.

Back to drinking. :facepalm:

Wondering is there any relations between drinking an D10 owners Quapla
uVpRZXs.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I came back from an errand and brought the comp out of sleep, started to play music, and nada...nothing. D10 showed the rate etc.....I rebooted....still nothing.

Then I saw my amp was off.

Back to drinking. :facepalm:
I prescribe more beer..

έχω δίκιο

I know that several of us have had concerns about the differences between revisions of the D10, and what effect, if any, they had on audio performance. I got an email from Topping support yesterday which addressed that:

Topping support said:
Difference between this 3 version (I will call 1710, 1801, 1806 below):
1710 use difference Flash chip with 1801 and 1806. 1710 use IS25LQ016-JNLE and 1801 and 1806 use W25Q40CLSNIG. So firmware of 1710 is different with another 2 version.

1801 and 1806 use same Flash chip, but method they use to read program is different. 1801 use Qspi and 1806 use spi.

For this is a Flash chip of XMOS, all these batch of D10 has no difference on using, spec and sounding. You can share these differences to other users.

Short version: According to Topping, they all sound the same. That's one less thing to obsess/stress about.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Sleep of death, LOL. Sometimes this sounds like "I though my system was broken until I realized my amp was turned off".

Hemicrusher

I know that several of us have had concerns about the differences between revisions of the D10, and what effect, if any, they had on audio performance. I got an email from Topping support yesterday which addressed that:

Short version: According to Topping, they all sound the same. That's one less thing to obsess/stress about.

I had way too much time on my hand today, so I looked up Qspi and spi. In a nut shell ether Topping got an insane deal on spi for the 1806 over the Qspi used in 1801-1805 or they messed up and ordered the wrong batch. Because from what I can find the cost for Qspi and spi W25Q40CLSNIG is the same.

έχω δίκιο

I had way too much time on my hand today, so I looked up Qspi and spi. In a nut shell ether Topping got an insane deal on spi for the 1806 over the Qspi used in 1801-1805 or they messed up and ordered the wrong batch. Because from what I can find the cost for Qspi and spi W25Q40CLSNIG is the same.
That may be, but I've now reached a "like" count that exceeds my message count, and isn't that really what matters here? :)

memphiskat

Is there any way to get iTunes to play through the D10 at the files sample rate? I'm using Windows 10 and have the Topping driver installed. All is well using Foobar, but iTunes will only play at 44.1 through D10. Even when I change the sampling rate to 96 in preferences within iTunes and restart iTunes, it plays everything at 44.1

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there any way to get iTunes to play through the D10 at the files sample rate? I'm using Windows 10 and have the Topping driver installed. All is well using Foobar, but iTunes will only play at 44.1 through D10. Even when I change the sampling rate to 96 in preferences within iTunes and restart iTunes, it plays everything at 44.1
There are plug-ins on the Mac that do this. I don't know about Windows.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
In sound preferences set the output rate to 96 and see if that helps. iTunes is probably using direct sound for it's output. Also, see if it is possible to set the output device in iTunes to the D10 and not direct sound.

zemonkey

I was wondering if someone here could help me answer a question about the D10 on Windows.

I am interested in using the D10 as a DAC + Coax + Toslink out for low latency ASIO usage. Specifically I want to use it to output audio while using virtual synthesizers like Zebra2 and Omnisphere. In this usage scenario I am very sensitive to the audible latency after a keypress on the midi controller. Anything in excess of 10ms (around 128 samples at 48kHz) is noticeable and very distracting.

I know that the D10 uses a modified Thesycon driver which touts low latency. However, when I install the driver, without owning the D10, I cannot view the ASIO tab to determine what options are available to me.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone on Windows with a D10 could post a screenshot of the available ASIO options at 48 kHz, 24-bit. Most software synthesizers are optimized for this (and 44.1) so this is the rate I will be using the D10 at. I am specifically interested in what is referred to as the number of samples or the buffer size, and its lowest option. I am hopeful there is an option to set it smaller than 100.

Thank you for helping me determine if this DAC is usable for my needs and a special thanks to amirm's analysis indicating the actual quality of the components and build.

AresHarvest

I would greatly appreciate if anyone on Windows with a D10 could post a screenshot of the available ASIO options at 48 kHz, 24-bit. Most software synthesizers are optimized for this (and 44.1) so this is the rate I will be using the D10 at. I am specifically interested in what is referred to as the number of samples or the buffer size, and its lowest option. I am hopeful there is an option to set it smaller than 100.

Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel:

Format can be set to 32 or 24 bit
ASIO Buffer size can be set to "Auto" or fixed; minimum 64 samples.

Not sure what the ASIO output latency looks like, but given that it's a USB 2.0 audio device I'd guess its somewhere in the 4-5 ms range at a 64-sample buffer. Maybe that's a bit generous of me, I dunno. As long as you can use that buffer size without ASIO dropouts, it should be low enough to play virtual instruments with no noticeable delay at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz. Latency will scale downward as sample rate increases.

Edit: If you're wondering what the "USB Streaming Mode" stuff is, it is an additional latency setting that ranges from "Minimum Latency" at 1 ms to "Extra Safe" at 32 ms. This setting restricts which buffer size you can use at any given time - to get the lowest latency you would set USB Streaming Mode "Minimum Latency" and ASIO Buffer Size to 64 samples.

Attachments

• topping_D10_options.jpg
    topping_D10_options.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Top Bottom