• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Sys Passive Pre-amp/Switcher

Kain

Guess I got lucky. Schiit accepted to cancel the order even though they had already shipped it.

1713968399541.png

Kain

Any particular reason why?
To have an active preamp vs. a passive one to avoid any impedance issues. I also really like the way the Bifrost 2/64 sounds so prefer to stick with Schiit for now.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To have an active preamp vs. a passive one to avoid any impedance issues. I also really like the way the Bifrost 2/64 sounds so prefer to stick with Schiit for now.

Same here! Love my Bifrost 2 AD5781ARUZ chip / Midgard stack at work while I enjoy my Yggydrasil+ MiB Ti DAC110001B chip / Saga OG stack at home :)

Pretty unique DAC chip models that no other manufacturers have implemented so far. Waiting for a discrete Topping DAC to collect but the latest ones have ESS chips which I already have on my other DACs. Those Schiit DACs sound indistinguishable from a SOTA DAC as well

IMG_9979.jpeg

gvl

Major Contributor

I mean why the Saga? Seems like a compromised solution that is also expensive. Unless you need a remote get the Midgard.

Kain

I mean why the Saga? Seems like a compromised solution that is also expensive. Unless you need a remote get the Midgard.
What are the differences that make the Saga+ more expensive than the Midgard? Also, will there be any sound quality differences?

gvl

Major Contributor
What are the differences that make the Saga+ more expensive than the Midgard? Also, will there be any sound quality differences?

More parts I suppose plus the tube, people are willing to pay more for tubes. Sound quality likely not much of a difference. I’m still curious why you’re considering the Saga.

Kain

More parts I suppose plus the tube, people are willing to pay more for tubes. Sound quality likely not much of a difference. I’m still curious why you’re considering the Saga.
I am/was considering the Saga+ mainly because I didn't know I could also use the Midgard. I don't mind paying extra for the Saga+ if there is an improvement in sound quality. However, it seems with the Midgard I can have a fully balanced system/chain (meaning XLR connections).

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am/was considering the Saga+ mainly because I didn't know I could also use the Midgard. I don't mind paying extra for the Saga+ if there is an improvement in sound quality. However, it seems with the Midgard I can have a fully balanced system/chain (meaning XLR connections).

Me personally, I like the unity gain (no boosting of the gain) of the Saga and that lets me fine tune the volume control graduation much better than a high gain amp like the Midgard, and yes a Class A tube buffer is sonically good in preamp applications subjectively compared to Class A/B feedback amplification from Midgard (I repeat as a preamp subjectively). However, if you lust for a fully balanced system and a more transparent to the DAC at that, get the Midgard and set it to low gain (Midgard measures incredibly well and sounds superlative in its Halo Mixed Mode feedback 4-pin XLR headphone output hence why I own and love it).

gvl

Major Contributor
The Saga is an interesting device for the eyes. It does offer input switching and a remote. Other than that the Midgard is superior in every way and gets you a very good headphone amp too.

Last edited:

Kain

If I am talking about sound quality alone, which would be better? The Saga+ or the Midgard? Also, would either of these preamps "change" the sound quality of the Bifrost 2/64?

Also, gvl, you mentioned that the Midgard is superior in every way. Could you please state why that is the case? What about the unity gain of the Saga+ that majingotan mentioned above?

gvl

Major Contributor
Hard to say what you will hear subjectively, but objectively the Midgard:

1. Is a lower distortion device.
2. Has no silly tube you will need to replace at some point.
3. Provides balanced inputs/outputs so it makes more sense to use with a balanced DAC.
4. Includes a high quality headphone amp.
5. Simple volume control is likely more reliable than a stepped relay based attenuator in the long run.

That’s said, I suspect the differences in sound will be minimal.

The unity gain can help if your amp has too much gain that can lead to a situation where the useful range of volume control on the preamp is limited as it gets too loud early. With active monitors it’s less of an issue as they typically have level adjustment which you can turn down if preamp outputs are too hot.

Kain

Thanks.

What makes the Saga+ cost nearly twice as much as the Midgard?

Kain

If I have the Midgard and Bifrost 2/64 connected together via XLR cables, can I still, temporarily, use RCA out on the Midgard to the speakers? This is only till I get XLR cables for the Midgard to the speakers.

gvl

Major Contributor
If I have the Midgard and Bifrost 2/64 connected together via XLR cables, can I still, temporarily, use RCA out on the Midgard to the speakers? This is only till I get XLR cables for the Midgard to the speakers.

This should work, but confirm with Schiit support to be sure.

Kain

Could someone state what the purpose of the tube in the Saga+ is? If I am not mistaken, it is used as a "buffer." Is there a difference between using a tube as a buffer (what does that mean?) vs. in some "traditional" sense?

Top Bottom