• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Schiit Sys Passive Pre-amp/Switcher

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
...and another thing...
You can always copy the question here, in it's own thread.
Answer it however you wish. The question will be answered and only you will have control of the answer.
Any more pleas for "answers" could easily follow the same format.
I'd vote for that.
That's a good suggestion. Will do that from here on.

Thanks for the offer. Do you want to see how much it costs to mail it each way? The box is not very expensive and hate to pay almost that much in shipping to send it back and forth. :)
If you buy a jds labs ol switcher and test it, and it measures about the same or better than this schiit sys, I'll gladly buy it off you!

Emdub

For a couple of years, I’ve had a Sys between my Squeezebox Touch and amp. Ironically one of the first things that I did with it was to compare the analog output to the digital through a Bifrost ‘Uber ‘. I’ll be the first to admit it was a totally subjective a/b listening test. Hearing no discernible differences, I sold the Bifrost.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For a couple of years, I’ve had a Sys between my Squeezebox Touch and amp. Ironically one of the first things that I did with it was to compare the analog output to the digital through a Bifrost ‘Uber ‘. I’ll be the first to admit it was a totally subjective a/b listening test. Hearing no discernible differences, I sold the Bifrost.
Ah, that is a good use for it!

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you buy a jds labs ol switcher and test it, and it measures about the same or better than this schiit sys, I'll gladly buy it off you!
Hey wait! You are saying if it doesn't measure good I am stuck with it??? :D

OK, I ordered it.

Hey wait! You are saying if it doesn't measure good I am stuck with it??? :D

OK, I ordered it.
Yep! I have confidence in JDS. I have no doubts it will be fine. Curious how it measures though. Thanks for ordering, no rush on review!

gvl

Can't help but notice that measuring performance of a passive potentiometer-based volume control, which is what SYS really is, in isolation is pretty pointless. Probably the only meaningful test results here are the channel/input separation and channel imbalance at low volume settings. The performance of such a device heavily depends on the output and input impedance and capacitance of upstream and downstream gear. What you actually measured was how SYS influenced the signal with your particular test equipment and as such the results are not exactly useful in a general case as it can perform completely differently in any other given real world setup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom