• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

etc6849

It seems this device supports 32 bit depth for all audio channels when using USB. Having the extra digital headroom for Dirac seems like a great idea.

Unfortunately, since I need to use multiple units I would have to use a card that outputs 16 AES channels, and AES3 is limited to 24 bit. Not Okto's fault, but if there's a way to use multiple units and still have a bit depth of 32-bits, someone please let me know.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is nothing to gain from going to 32bit given that the (already very high) DNR of the device is some 20dB lower than what a 24bit encoding permits.

etc6849

Why is it not beneficial to have the extra digital headroom for room correction software like Dirac?

There is nothing to gain from going to 32bit given that the (already very high) DNR of the device is some 20dB lower than what a 24bit encoding permits.

Veri

Master Contributor
Why is it not beneficial to have the extra digital headroom for room correction software like Dirac?
Like he said, 24-bit already delivers more headroom than the okto can manage and the okto is the best DAC reviewed on the site.

There is little point besides placebo levels of precision.

etc6849

It doesn't seem pointless at all for digital software running on my PC to have extra headroom to make room corrections. The DAC will certainly accept these corrections as an input without digitally clipping even if they are beyond 144dB.

Hypothetical example:
I know there are no real 24 bit recordings that use the full 24 bits of headroom available, but let's assume there is a perfect recording, I have a perfect speakers and neglect my room's noise floor.

So if Dirac corrects a 30dB dip at 30Hz and the DAC sees 174dB. This gets played back with a dynamic range of 119dB. 119dB of real dynamic range is output. Without Dirac, I'd have 114dB dynamic range played back. This appears to mean 32 bits is beneficial as I'm clearly showing a 5dB improvement that Dirac could NOT have corrected for without the extra digital headroom of 32 bits.

Please explain why I am wrong, I don't do this for a living so I very well could be...

Like he said, 24-bit already delivers more headroom than the okto can manage and the okto is the best DAC reviewed on the site.

There is little point besides placebo levels of precision.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It doesn't seem pointless at all for digital software running on my PC to have extra headroom to make room corrections. The DAC will certainly accept these corrections as an input without digitally clipping even if they are beyond 144dB.

16/24/32 bits...

Just for the record, as implemented, the "extra" range turns out to be ever smaller subdivisions at the tiny end, not expansions of the upper end...

The DAC doesn't change its maximum output voltage when the bit depth changes...

Poor analogy: A foot long ruler can be divided into 1/16, 1/24, or 1/32 inches, but it's still only a foot long.

You might know that, but, I'm not sure from what you said above.

LF78

index.php

Very good and fair priced red wine from Bolgheri wine region... a real hidden (or maybe not so hidden) gem in my opionion, always present in my small cellar :)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Very good and fair priced red wine from Bolgheri wine region... a real hidden (or maybe not so hidden) gem in my opionion, always present in my small cellar :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So if Dirac corrects a 30dB dip at 30Hz and the DAC sees 174dB.

Please explain why I am wrong, I don't do this for a living so I very well could be...

When software has to correct a 30dB dip it can only do so by lowering the frequencies that do not need boosting by 30dB.
It's all very fine to do this in 32 bit digital realm and mathmetically this is no problem at all ... but the DAC can only go up to 0dBFS.
Basically the music will play 30dB softer than when no correction was applied and as the physical noise floor of the DAC is still the same the effective S/N ratio has gotten worse by 30dB in the real world.
Just not 30dB worse in the 32 bit format applied signal to the DAC.
The bits below 24bit are buried in system noise.
With trickery like KSTR has done one can actually see the DAC will output signals smaller than 24 bit in actual level but not in real time in real world situations.
The physical noise floor of a DAC is around 22 bits or so.
Probably lower than that of many amps behind the DAC.

Last edited:

6speed

It will wonderful if it comes with HDMI input. Best home theater DAC for 7.1 channel system.

HDMI to I2S devices do exist, but are rare and I never see any DIY discussion of them. You would need to do all the decoding upstream as well.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

kevinh

Will the Octo Dac 8 have and 8 ch AES input?

i ask since the Nano shark parts for the Dac8 DSP aren't available,An alternate solution would be a Minidsp DDRC 88D to do DRC to feed the Octo for the D/A conversion. I deal for bi amp multi sub setups.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have one with AES/EBU so can't comment on that. On USB, the device exposes 8 channels of audio. By default audio apps send their stereo signals to channels 1 and 2. So that is how the routing works (i.e in software, not hardware).
So if you had J River or Roon send a 7.1 channel LPCM signal via USB to the OCTO from a Windows box, and then sent the OCTO's output to 7 powered monitors and a powered sub, you would get 7.1 Dolby Digital surround?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So if you had J River or Roon send a 7.1 channel LPCM signal via USB to the OCTO from a Windows box, and then sent the OCTO's output to 7 powered monitors and a powered sub, you would get 7.1 Dolby Digital surround?
Let's put it the other way since the OKTO (like almost all audiophile DACs does not do any decoding), if you had JRiver or Roon play a "7.1 Dolby Digital surround" track and decode it and "send a 7.1 channel LPCM signal via USB to the OCTO from a Windows box, and then sent the OCTO's output to 7 powered monitors and a powered sub, you would get what you want and expect. All the decoding and channel mapping is the the JRiver/Roon software.

Top Bottom