• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

sebpoterie

No success with macOs...

"Searching OKTO Research product on the USB ports ...
[0] > VID 20B1, PID 2009, BCD 0100 : Okto Research DAC8PRO

found DAC8PRO v1.00
Upgrading USB firmware to intermediate version 1.41, do not disconnect...
Verifying image 58kB
Preparing flash memory (up to 10 seconds...)
Unexpected Error: dfudownload command returned an error -4 at block 0.
USB Host timeout after 5 seconds while device is erasing flash memory needing 8 seconds.
The DAC8 is now awaiting an incomplete USB transaction and requires a gentle power OFF and then power ON.
Your platform configuration does not seem yet to be compatible with this upgrade process.
Please consider installing another version for libusb or testing on other USB ports/hubs

Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed."

sebpoterie

Same error with Mint

serial : 18
fw version 1.11

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-05-26 12-14-41.png
    Screenshot from 2023-05-26 12-14-41.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 56

darkless

Flawless upgrade from firmware version 1.44 to 1.5 on my Mac Mini M1.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okto Research dac8 PRO v1.5 firmware release

A little bit belated though...

This morning (Japan standard time), I received an official e-mail from Pavel Krasensky of Okto Research entitled "Okto Research dac8 PRO v1.5 firmware release" and detailed instructions for firmware update.

I will dare not update my DAC8PRO (currently firmware version 1.32) until I would fully hear the successful updates by our ASR friends here in ASR Forum, especially those who in Europe who may easily send DAC8PRO back to Pavel when you would have irreversible trouble during the update process.

Did all of you receive the e-mail from Pavel??

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Received no email from Okto, learned about it here.

For those of you who have successfully installed the update is there a way to toggle the channel display?

Dave H

Mine failed to update on a windows 11 PC, but successfully updated using the bootable Linux Mint USB stick method.

Zooqu1ko

Is there a way to toggle it off? I don't need to know that stuff on my unit and adding potential burn in to the OLED. I don't seem to need any of the new updates so may stay with the current 1.42 which has work fine for me so far.
If you're concerned about the longevity of the displays, just have them turned off by the timer, as in previous firmware versions.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hassle-free update from 1.32 on a Win 11 computer

Thank you! This is encouraging me to update mine which is 1.32 now.
I will wait for some while, however, hearing several additional successful cases of 1.32 to 1.5 on Windows 11 Pro.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Mine failed to update on a windows 11 PC, but successfully updated using the bootable Linux Mint USB stick method.
Mine failed on a win11 PC but, in my case, I got to Step 6:
6) Download the firmware update package from https://oktoresearch.com/assets/dac8pro/fw/dac8pro_fw_15.zip and extract file “dac8pro_fw_15_win.exe“
However, the file that is extracted is named “dac8pro_fw_15_windows.exe," not “dac8pro_fw_15_win.exe.“ It will not run at all. Anyone notice the exact name of the file they got?

Zooqu1ko

Mine failed on a win11 PC but, in my case, I got to Step 6:

However, the file that is extracted is named “dac8pro_fw_15_windows.exe," not “dac8pro_fw_15_win.exe.“ It will not run at all. Anyone notice the exact name of the file they got?
The file in the zip archive was named “dac8pro_fw_15_windows.exe" and was extracted as such. Run cmd via Win+R, then in that shell, change to the directory where that file is and run it from there.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The file in the zip archive was named “dac8pro_fw_15_windows.exe" and was extracted as such. Run cmd via Win+R, then in that shell, change to the directory where that file is and run it from there.
Thanks but same result. :(

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're concerned about the longevity of the displays, just have them turned off by the timer, as in previous firmware versions.
Yes, I'm aware of that possibility.

Nobody has tried turning the channel indicators off?

Machismo

Tried first two W11 computers, both got to the "verifying flash memory" for few seconds and then the update window just disappeared without updating. Then I tried my old W7 and it worked :)

Jimrod

I reported earlier that with DSF file playback using Roon from a Mac Pro I was getting sweeping pink noises that come out of nowhere and then gradually fade away. After upgrading to the new firmware I still have the same issue. It also shows all 8 channels are active when only playing 2 channel dsf files. I’ll report to Okto.

wineds

Coming from 1.42 the upgrade to 1.5 succeeded on Win10. However my camilladsp setup on archlinux was broken. Unless something changed recently on my Linux box that I hadn't noticed it seems device "plughw : DAC8PRO" no longer handles up mix from 2 to 8 channels. I had to revert to using a 2 to 8 channel mixer in my camilladsp config to get everything working again.

@phofman am I right in assuming the DAC8 PRO device "plughw : DAC8PRO" previously handled the up mix from 2 to 8 channels in firmware?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Screenshot?
No screenshot to show since nothing happens. I click on the .exe or right-click to Run as Admin and then nothing happens. Sometimes, I think the screen slightly blinks (or I do) but nothing happens. No messages, no pop-ups.

Zooqu1ko

No screenshot to show since nothing happens. I click on the .exe or right-click to Run as Admin and then nothing happens. Sometimes, I think the screen slightly blinks (or I do) but nothing happens. No messages, no pop-ups.
Don't click, start it from a cmd terminal.

Top Bottom