• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

sumitc

The update fixed a longstanding issue with dropouts (crackling sound) when using AES inputs into the Okto DAC for high-sample rate recordings. Interestingly enough, this only affected 96kHz and 192kHz. I am quite happy with the update so far.
I wish the output would mute, however, when the sample rate changes as the popping noise when this happens is startling.

josh358

OK, tried installing it -- no luck. On Windows 10, it crapped out with a brief error message, so I tried Linux Mint. That gave me a more verbose message, saying among other things that there was a USB timeout.

poopy

I agree that is what is sounds like. Only thing to add is how you run the OLED impacts this noise so it is possible the new firmware changes some operating parameter that results in noise. In the DIY space I played around with OLED oscillator frequency until the noise was inaudible. Would be helpful if @poopy could clarify if the noise was caused by the firmware update. Currently I find my Okto display silent.

Michael
Not caused by the firmware update but caused by a batch of capacitors.

In my case the high pitched noise appeared suddenly after about 2 years. It gets louder if brightness of the screen is maximal.

You can't miss it if you have this issue as it's loud and really like coil whining. I stopped using the unit until the new board is made available (one also may replace directly the caps on the unit).

Not lucky these days as also one of my SVS SB-4000 has developed a strong coil whining....

poopy

My unit has the high pitch too. However:
  1. It is so faint I have to get closer than 6 inches to my Okto when the display is set to brightest possible. I only noticed it after it was mentioned here.
  2. My screen turns off after 1 minute (I like it this way) and there is absolutely no noise after. Hence (in my unit at least) the pitch is display related.
I can hear the high pitch at least 2 feet away from the unit. I need to play music to cover this (irritating) noise.

The new board should be released soon with upgraded caps. I'm not in an urge as I can use my prepro temporarily as substitute since roon ready

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just upgraded mine from 1.42 to 1.50 using the raspberry pi 4 running Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS 64 bit that I always have connected to it to run CamillaDSP. No issues with the upgraded. I did stop CamillaDSP just to make sure nothing was "using" the Okto during the upgrade.

Michael

TaxTime

May be related, maybe not. Also - I have a dac8 STEREO.

I tried updating from 1.12 to 1.2 via the instructions and file on the STEREO page. Windows 11 failed, saying the update couldn't be used on "DAC8 version >=1.50."

I'm not sure if it's a flaw in the update package - my firmware was 1.12. Of note though is that prior to failure, it "found DAC8 product v6.C7," so perhaps the 1.50 refers to some kind of build version (board).

I emailed Pavel and he said to try the "all other" method using Mint Cinnamon/Linux update.

It failed twice - it appeared to get to "firmware update done," but not beyond.

I tried a third time and it when I saw it started doing the "font(sp?)-panel upgrade," I knew it was working and it did - all upgraded to 1.2 (Stereo version).

I wouldn't have cared, but the new firmware is the only way their current ASIO driver would work instead of the previous DIYINHK stuff.

I emailed Pavel to let him know and he suspects something messed up when the Windows method failed as to why it took three tries with the Mint method.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still using my DAC8PRO firmware 1.32 together with USB ASIO driver DIYINHK_UsbAudio_v4.59.0_2019-02-28 on Windows 11 Pro 64 bit; at present I shall not update my DAC8PRO into the latest firmware 1.50 to be used with the new ASIO USB driver OktoResearchUsbAudio_v5.57.0_2023-04-26_setup (for installation of OKTO v.1.50 ASIO driver?).

I am just curious, however, what would be the difference (or any improvements and/or new features?), if any, between the new ASIO driver OktoResearchUsbAudio_v5.57.0_2023-04-26 (OKTO ASIO v1.50?) and the original DIYINHK_UsbAudio_v4.59.0. Any info in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

TaxTime

The information on the changes are in the document "v1.5 firmware release note," including what is new in the driver. As far as digging in to what is happening with the core ASIO, probably not much - you likely can't get more direct than direct, though it may be related to the bug fixes described for the firmware.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The information on the changes are in the document "v1.5 firmware release note," including what is new in the driver. As far as digging in to what is happening with the core ASIO, probably not much - you likely can't get more direct than direct, though it may be related to the bug fixes described for the firmware.

Thank you for your info.

Even though I already have read the release note, I was wondering whether the new ASIO driver would have any further distinct new feature or not.

TaxTime

I don't know of any PRACTICAL change as far as HOW it works/communicates, since ASIO by nature has always been a "direct" path for data, but the control panel is different from the control panel for the DIYINHK as far as looks.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still using my DAC8PRO firmware 1.32 together with USB ASIO driver DIYINHK_UsbAudio_v4.59.0_2019-02-28 on Windows 11 Pro 64 bit; at present I shall not update my DAC8PRO into the latest firmware 1.50 to be used with the new ASIO USB driver OktoResearchUsbAudio_v5.57.0_2023-04-26_setup (for installation of OKTO v.1.50 ASIO driver?).

I am just curious, however, what would be the difference (or any improvements and/or new features?), if any, between the new ASIO driver OktoResearchUsbAudio_v5.57.0_2023-04-26 (OKTO ASIO v1.50?) and the original DIYINHK_UsbAudio_v4.59.0. Any info in this regard would be highly appreciated.
I'm not updating either. Juice hardly seems worth the squeeze.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see much of a reason to upgrade unless you have a specific issue. So far I've noticed the following improvements compared to 1.42.

1) Power off click is greatly reduced (but it wasn't that bad before tbh)
2) AES outputs now work

I am also interested in testing the improvements made to sync all channels when using Pure AES mode. Also want to see if the nanoDIGI now works with the Okto (may need to adjust DPLL bandwidth to get this to work).

I don't use Windows so cannot comment on ASIO.

Michael

Jimrod

Does anyone else experience issues like shown in the following video: https://vimeo.com/839104811?share=copy? This is while using a Pi4. At first i was using Roipee but Pavel said to try Volumio with the Roon plugin, but that one completely failed to play anything beyond some initial loud buzzing through all 5 connected channels (screenshot attached). Trying to get a sense of whether it truly is a faulty unit or if these are common problems. I gave up on using a MicroRendu with similar issues, and thought the Pi would be a safer bet. I also use a VanityPro via AES that will only play PCM files reliably (cannot send DSD over DOP to the Okto without getting flashing channels and buzzing). At this point the only reliable way i can play music is by hooking up my large Mac Pro and playing PCM via USB, or playing discs outputting PCM into the VanityPro. I can't use the Pi via USB at all.

image0-2.png

TaxTime

Just curious as to why you are trying to send DoP when the Okto accepts native DSD?

Jimrod

Just curious as to why you are trying to send DoP when the Okto accepts native DSD?
Correcting my initial response: Native DSD by USB, yes. Over AES i thought i could send DOP but i now remember that's only via USB as well. I'll keep converting to PCM via the VanityPro for the SACDs. I'm still totally stumped as to why i can't get the Pi to work (or the MicroRendu before it), even using the suggested setup of Volumio with the Roon plugin.

Last edited:

Ronny

I can hear the high pitch at least 2 feet away from the unit. I need to play music to cover this (irritating) noise.

The new board should be released soon with upgraded caps. I'm not in an urge as I can use my prepro temporarily as substitute since roon ready
Glad to have found this thread. I did switch back to the analogue crossovers and amps already because of that issue. Now it seems, just switching off the display helps. I do not like the display either. Want it all dark ;-).

Ronny

Glad to have found this thread. I did switch back to the analogue crossovers and amps already because of that issue. Now it seems, just switching off the display helps. I do not like the display either. Want it all dark ;-).
But it did not completely resolve the noise issue. I'd love to know what caps to replace to get rid of it.

Ronny

Does anyone else experience issues like shown in the following video: https://vimeo.com/839104811?share=copy? This is while using a Pi4. At first i was using Roipee but Pavel said to try Volumio with the Roon plugin, but that one completely failed to play anything beyond some initial loud buzzing through all 5 connected channels (screenshot attached). Trying to get a sense of whether it truly is a faulty unit or if these are common problems. I gave up on using a MicroRendu with similar issues, and thought the Pi would be a safer bet. I also use a VanityPro via AES that will only play PCM files reliably (cannot send DSD over DOP to the Okto without getting flashing channels and buzzing). At this point the only reliable way i can play music is by hooking up my large Mac Pro and playing PCM via USB, or playing discs outputting PCM into the VanityPro. I can't use the Pi via USB at all.

Yes same here. Volume won't do anything. I doubt it is an issue related to the RPi. It works fine with other DACs. It turned worse with the FW-Update because of the display thing. Disabling the display reduced the noise and of course I do not see any flickering anymore... I hope for a hardware fix.

poopy

But it did not completely resolve the noise issue. I'd love to know what caps to replace to get rid of it.
Just ask Pavel, he has documented the procedure I think. Last time we spoke about that, he gave me the feeling that the spare board will be available very soon.

Top Bottom