• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Ranath

You can if you have a USB or 4xSES/EBU source to feed it.
Then I must connect my surround movie server to the hdmi input of an av processor that has SES / EBU outputs. Then just connect the SES / EBU output of the av processor to the SES / EBU input of the Okto Dac8 pro.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Then I must connect my surround movie server to the hdmi input of an av processor that has SES / EBU outputs. Then just connect the SES / EBU output of the av processor to the SES / EBU input of the Okto Dac8 pro.
Sure but I do not know of any AVP with AES/EBU outputs under $10,000.

Snoozer

So it means it is possible to upgrade a firmware ?

it seems so, yes. You need a tool (software) to do the upgrade. I would hope Oktoresearch will provide such a tool. That would work (I foresee) as a DFU upgrade tool, meaning that the update is done via the USB port as with other XMOS based hardware.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, it is confirmed (by Pavel) that revision 1.34 seems to be broken under Linux. It'll take 2/3 weeks for a new version to correct for the problems detected

I thought I'd share the news for the ones who own a unit like mine

And 1.32 is sensitive to RFI/EMI causing the remote to lock up. It doesn't affect the Dac's audio in any way, but it is annoying and several months since Pavel acknowledged the issue. Still waiting....

ezublab

From what I've seen, brutefir plugin in volumio doesnt seems to support multichannels
It seems multichannels is available if the used Dac is capable of that. On a 2 channels Dac, only 2 ways are available. To be checked though.
From the readme
First experimental multi channel up to 2x4 !!! with hw detection capabilities of the DAC!

Honken

Well, it is confirmed (by Pavel) that revision 1.34 seems to be broken under Linux. It'll take 2/3 weeks for a new version to correct for the problems detected

I thought I'd share the news for the ones who own a unit like mine
Broken in what way? Mine should arrive soon, and I plan to connect it to a Linux PC.

slags

Hi guys, new to the forum! Hello!
Can someone confirm if (under Windows or Linux), the Okto DAC8 works with Kodi to decrypt Dolby Atmos channels into an 8ch output? If so, how do you govern the room layout?
Basically I am looking to understand how to set up the DAC8 for home theatre as an AVR Processor replacement in anticipation of buying one, but I haven't been able to find any guides anywhere.
Thanks!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hi guys, new to the forum! Hello!
Can someone confirm if (under Windows or Linux), the Okto DAC8 works with Kodi to decrypt Dolby Atmos channels into an 8ch output? If so, how do you govern the room layout?
Basically I am looking to understand how to set up the DAC8 for home theatre as an AVR Processor replacement in anticipation of buying one, but I haven't been able to find any guides anywhere.
Thanks!
The DAC8 doesn't do Atmos decoding or DSP - it's a pure multichannel DAC. You'd need a software decoder to run on the computer - if you find one (other than Dolby's Mac Pro only Media Producer Suite) there will be a number of interested people here! This is almost certainly a licensing restriction not a technical one.

Honken

Start reading here for the problems they were experiencing.
Ah thanks, I'm appearantly blind.

That is indeed worrying. I just asked them to delay my order until this is fixed, aternatively shipping my unit with a FW version that is known to work.

Burning Sounds

And 1.32 is sensitive to RFI/EMI causing the remote to lock up. It doesn't affect the Dac's audio in any way, but it is annoying and several months since Pavel acknowledged the issue. Still waiting....

I thought I'd add a little anecdote to this. I was recently copying some cassettes of a radio programme I used to host. I was using an old twin cassette boombox which also has anAM radio. I tuned the radio to its lowest frequency (about 500kHz I think) and had it next to a large Samsung flatscreen TV I use for my music display. It is mounted on the long wall of my music room about 15ft from where the Okto Dac8 is. What a racket that TV made through the AM radio. I turned off the TV and the noise disappeared. I had noticed that occasionally the display on the Okto Dac came on (I have it set to turn off after 30 seconds or so). It only came on like this when the TV was on.

Out of curiosity I took the AM radio and set it on top of my multichannel Hypex based amp - not a beep. Not very scientific I know, but it looks like my flatscreen TV can produce way more RF than my class D amp.

Neddy

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought I'd add a little anecdote to this. I was recently copying some cassettes of a radio programme I used to host. I was using an old twin cassette boombox which also has anAM radio. I tuned the radio to its lowest frequency (about 500kHz I think) and had it next to a large Samsung flatscreen TV I use for my music display. It is mounted on the long wall of my music room about 15ft from where the Okto Dac8 is. What a racket that TV made through the AM radio. I turned off the TV and the noise disappeared. I had noticed that occasionally the display on the Okto Dac came on (I have it set to turn off after 30 seconds or so). It only came on like this when the TV was on.

Out of curiosity I took the AM radio and set it on top of my multichannel Hypex based amp - not a beep. Not very scientific I know, but it looks like my flatscreen TV can produce way more RF than my class D amp.

I am using PANASONIC 50 inch Plasma TV, TH-P50R2, sitting in our dining room next to our living/audio listening room, about 7 m away from my DAC8PRO (firmware 1.34 1.32). When I fully open the glass sliding doors behind the speakers, my DAC8PRO can "see" the plasma TV. Very fortunately this PANASONIC 50 inch Plasma TV gives no interference at all to my audio system including DAC8PRO and AM-FM tuners. I still love this PANASONIC Plasma TV since I am also enjoying photography with CANON EOS 5D Mark IV and several CANON L-lenses.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
... What a racket that TV made through the AM radio. I turned off the TV and the noise disappeared. ... Not very scientific I know, but it looks like my flatscreen TV can produce way more RF than my class D amp.
I have an old plasma screen that breaks my IR remote controls. When the on-screen image is relatively bright, it spews so much IR light that none of my IR remotes work. At first all I knew was that my remotes sometimes didn't work, the intermittent nature of the issue (depending on screen brightnesss) made it hard to troubleshoot, but when I finally figured out what was happening I put little filters and light blockers over the IR receptors and it works fine now.

essence

My unit, order #136 on the 25th May just arrived. Be prepared to wait 4months~ from order to arrival, just a heads up for those plan on ordering. Happy with the communication with Pavel, just be patient.

kJFSCBa.jpg

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My unit, order #136 on the 25th May just arrived. Be prepared to wait 4months~ from order to arrival, just a heads up for those plan on ordering. Happy with the communication with Paval, just be patient.
Could you let us know the firmware version number? You may find it in the display menu - status.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot.
Just for your info, mine is 1.32 and no problem at all in operation using the DIYNHK ASIO USB 2.0 driver on Windows 10 64 bit PC.

Zooqu1ko

Sure but I do not know of any AVP with AES/EBU outputs under $10,000.
Not directly, but the JBL SDP-55 has Dante, so one should be able to get AES/EBU out from there, for about $150 for each 2 channel pair. For those who are even more adventurous, there would be the Smyth Realiser A16/AES (also available with 32 channels (not sure what the 8 channels beyond the 24 provided by the APM-100 do)), but that one only has Dolby Atmos, no DTS (yet) or Auro (if ever), and no room correction (maybe Dirac in the future), and I'm not sure how/if lipsync delay is managed when it's not used with headphones.

Top Bottom