• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oops! I did not see this issue... Are there some alternatives?

Just do the XO and DSP with your PC. Depending on the software, you can have a lot more DSP taps using your PC.

Olivier

This is the thing I wanted to avoid :-( For this reason, I was looking for a hardware solution...

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would that handle your crossovers, when it gives only 2 channels of output?

The Okto exposes 8 channels via USB input, right? Use a PC for DSP.

Edit - damn ninjas!

Kennyknetter

Gentlemen,
I'm interested in using the Okto DAC 8 pro combined with a multi-channel DSP to run my 3-way stereo speakers. Do you think that the miniDSP 4x10 Hd could work in an adequate manner with? Are there some alternative hardware solutions? Many thanks for your feedback!
Best,
Olivier.

Ok, I'll spill some beans here. I haven't thus far because I don't want our Czech friends to drown in e-mails even more than they already are. So, do give them some peace at work. Patience is key! :)

I e-mailed Okto in May and asked them if it would be possible to implement a second hand nanoSharc to the DAC8 PRO, and this was their reply:

"While it would be possible to interface a FreeDSP module together with the rest of DAC8 DSP, we would now rather focus on making whole, self-contained products.

If you don't mind waiting a few months, we are going to develop a successor to DAC8 DSP with improved DSP capabilities after DAC8 PRO and DAC8 Stereo are launched.

Kind regards,
Pavel, Okto Research"

So, they have plans on a new, and improved, DAC8 DSP. Although, in May, they hoped to be able to launch the PRO in June (ended up being launched in August), and then they wanted to release the STEREO shortly thereafter. They've yet to launch the STEREO, and the DSP might still be a work in progress... so, if the DSP is still happening, I guess it might happen sometime during the first two quarters of 2020.

I've decided to get the PRO and do all the DSPing in my computer instead, which will always be the source anyways.

If that won't work for you, and if Oktos products is what you want, then do wait. I think and hope that time will see your demands get met :)

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... Although, in May, they hoped to be able to launch the PRO in June (ended up being launched in August), and then they wanted to release the STEREO shortly thereafter. ...

Have any of the production DAC8 PROS actually been shipped to customers yet ???

JP

Major Contributor
To judge from the picture below, it's most likely possible to choose the screen to be off 'After timer'. After all, which modes would there be to choose from after the timer, other than 'dim' and 'off'? If only 'dim' was the option, why have an option at all? Pavel could probably chime in here with a bit of input, when he has the time :)
View attachment 35261

DAC8 DSP does have an 'off' option.

1234VICE

https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief- nanoDIGI 2x8 K.pdf

USB/SPIDF stereo in, 8 channel SPDIF out. You just need multiple stereo DACs with SPDIF input.

Just FYI; this device does not feature usb in for audio. It is spdif only.

Some people on this forum have been mentioning potential timing issues with using multiple dac's. I do not know the details, but I suppose that inconsistent latency could result in phase cancellation issues at mid/high frequencies. Perhaps something for OP to keep in mind.

gvl

Major Contributor
Many "popular priced" DACs are running ESS chips in async mode off internal XO, so synchronization is impossible in principle across multiple devices.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Umm. I run two Topping D50 off an RME Digiface and was under the impression that the Digiface will clock the DACs via SPDIF. I would see this in "floating" time behaviour between channels when measuring in case it's broken right?

e: I think a DAC that is fed via SPDIF _has_ to run synchronous to the clock source, especially if it's not configurable. I understand in USB mode, almost every interface does ASRC, for reasons, but SPDIF? It has to be slave to the master, for everything to work.

Last edited:

TorbjornJ

..If you don't mind waiting a few months, we are going to develop a successor to DAC8 DSP..
Ha. Then my interest in this product just went to the floor. Now that I know there is a new product in the plans :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ha. Then my interest in this product just went to the floor. Now that I know there is a new product in the plans :)

I'm with you there...might be worth waiting for...

gvl

Major Contributor
Umm. I run two Topping D50 off an RME Digiface and was under the impression that the Digiface will clock the DACs via SPDIF. I would see this in "floating" time behaviour between channels when measuring in case it's broken right?

e: I think a DAC that is fed via SPDIF _has_ to run synchronous to the clock source, especially if it's not configurable. I understand in USB mode, almost every interface does ASRC, for reasons, but SPDIF? It has to be slave to the master, for everything to work.

Well, the ASRC is active on ESS chips on all inputs by default. Some fancier DACs, e.g. Matrix Sabre Pro, allow to disable it. SPDIF in particular benefits from ASRC as it is another measure to kill jitter - not all SPDIF sources are as good as your RME. That said, it is not clear how much of a phase shift discrepancy there is even in async mode between devices, my guess is it is negligible for all practical purposes, as you say the output needs to keep up with the synchronous source ASRC or not.

Last edited:

Kennyknetter

Well, it is the same unit as the one reviewed, but with DSP possibilities. You can often do more with a full size computer connected to the DAC8 instead as far as DSPing goes, so if you do have a computer as the source, you're likely better off price wise to just get the standard version. If you can't do any DSPing in the source, and if you still want to tinker with the signal, then the DAC8 DSP might absolutely be the thing for you.

Top Bottom