• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

wisechoice

The reason I ask is I had a very similar experience when using a miniDSP nanoDIGI with the Okto, 6 channels were OK but 8 would not work. I tried many different RCA to XLR cables as well as RCA to BNC cables in to SPDIF to AES transformers but could never get it to work with all 8 channels. Others had used the nanoDIGI with the Okto successfully in the past but had since upgraded the Okto firmware and were seeing the same issues as me. There is more discussion here -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/okto-8-owner’s-thread.13899/post-684285.

I've also heard of issues with the Audiopraise VanityPro requiring an Okto firwmare upgrade but apparently the solution is very hush-hush -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eview-hdmi-audio-extractor.30440/post-1240789.

I guess I was just surprised that you had issues but were able to get it to work with such an inconsistent selection of cables, although re-reading your post it seems like you are only using 6 channels which was the max I could get with the nanoDIGI.

Michael
Well I tried 7.1 from the AppleTV (after setting 7.1 EDID on the splitter), but the Meridian doesn’t seem able to decode it. Although it should. I can try 8 PCM channels from my Mac Mini into the Meridian at some point, too.

wisechoice

The 96k sample rate also seemed to cause more problems than 48k, for what it’s worth. I see you were also outputting at 96k when you had your issues.

Thanks for sharing your own experience.

hollis

I have had similar problems with using more than one AES input at a time. This was with a Minidsp 88d as a source, which has 4x stereo async aes outputs. In my case l heard severe distortion. I solved it by running signal from usb at 48khz to set the sample rate. Then switching to aes mode and plugging in all minidsp outputs one at a time. I haven’t touched sample rate since and haven’t had an issue since.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ASR friends,

I just posted my wish for possible DAC16PRO(?) in my post here;
WS003999.JPG

Edit: I wrote there;
USB 16-Ch ASIO input (by one or two USB 2.0 cable from PC) and 16-Ch balanced analog out should be just enough for me. Therefore, my simple wish for 16-Ch Sync Pro DAC, (OKTO?) DAC16PRO(?) with two (or three?) of ES9028PRO or ES9038PRO (or new AKM DAC chips?) in it; 8-Ch AES/EBU digital stereo inputs would be welcome for future possible use, and for those who in pro field...
Of course, the dedicated ASIO driver in PC should recognize all of the 16-Ch of this gear; quite easy to be achieved, I believe.

I do hope Pavel of OKTO would look here.

Edit: If this would become reality in the near future, I will be more than happy to be a beta tester since I fully utilize DAC8PRO in my multichannel multi-amplifier project. My latest system setup can be found here.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ASR friends,

I just posted my wish for possible DAC16PRO(?) in my post here;
View attachment 223868
I do hope Pavel of OKTO would look here.
I would dearly love it especially if Windows boxes and Macs could decode Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro 3D codecs for all streaming audio and video services, and create LPCM streams that could be EQ'd, Bass Managed, and DSP'd with Dirac prior to being passed via USB to the OCTO 16. And while we're at it, have Apple put the guts of the M1 Mac Mini into as much smaller case (it will fit, believe me) about the size of a Mele Quieter 2. They can also lose the fan.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, yes to all that.
It's really a shame I cant ? use multiple USB channels for a) DAC#1: 2x4/6 for multiway mains, plus b) DAC#2: 8 channels of surround (incl subs).
Okto8 plus one of the MiniDSP 2x4s or 8s or (now) Topping would be a neat trick together.
And of course all the above....wishes being what they are:)
Not sure about the Mac Mini, but would be willing to give it a shot!! :rolleyes:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you would use two or more DAC units simultaneously via USB ASIO drivers, there always should be issue(s) of possible "async" and/or "drift of sync".

I would like to have, therefore, simple one-box "DAC16PRO" with two or three "ES9028PRO or ES9038PRO" DAC chips in it which can be operated completely "in sync" by one common (quartz?) oscillator clock chip and one common sophisticated (OKTO's) XMOS+firmware enabling "sync" 16-Ch DAC processing...

Edit: At least for myself, 16-Ch sync DAC processing all in up to 96 kHz 24 bit would be just enough as I shared on my project thread;
- Summary of rationales for "on-the-fly (real-time)" conversion of all music tracks (including 1 bit DSD tracks) into 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz PCM format for DSP (XO/EQ) processing: #532
I believe this can be easily handled with 16-Ch USB ASIO driver with only one USB 2.0 cable connection from PC into possible DAC16PRO, in consideration of the digital bandwidth of USB 2.0.

I know that MOTU UltraLite MK5 (two of ES9028PRO) or MOTU 282es can be configured 10-Ch to 14-Ch sync DAC, but I do not need the ADC and the complex/sophisticated mixing I/O functionalities of MOTU. Consequently, I "wish" to have the "PRO-spec" DAC16PRO as just 16-Ch version of present DAC8PRO!

Last edited:

Torbachkristensen

Anyone know how to get a hold of firmware or just a response from Okto? I haven't been able to get anything from them.

Zooqu1ko

Anyone know how to get a hold of firmware or just a response from Okto? I haven't been able to get anything from them.
As far as I know, no firmware update tool is publicly available. I have no Idea how those few who have installed a firmware update in the past did so, i.e. id those updates were done via USB or required additional hardware.

Torbachkristensen

Are you sure its version 1.0. ? Not 1.0.2 or something like that? In any case if your firmware is that old then you are going to need help from Pavel as you firmware can only be updated with an XMOS xtag. Keep trying to ping him.
Might be 1.0.2. I bought from the very first run of units.

I had an answer now, but it seems that they are doing a publicly available firmware that will be out later this year.

Feyire

Might be 1.0.2. I bought from the very first run of units.

I had an answer now, but it seems that they are doing a publicly available firmware that will be out later this year.
Did Pavel actually mention a release date? He's promised updates for the firmware in the past and never delivered, followed by not answering emails anymore, so I just gave up. I hope it really happens this time.

JP

Major Contributor
Are you sure it’s version 1.0. ? Not 1.0.2 or something like that? In any case if your firmware is that old then you are going to need help from Pavel as you firmware can only be updated with an XMOS xtag. Keep trying to ping him.
Xtag is $25 if someone out there has the bits and instructions.

MFJG

Mine is software version 1.11

Attachments

• 1DDF9BCF-A363-4C05-B778-5EFCD1ED8BEB.jpeg
    1DDF9BCF-A363-4C05-B778-5EFCD1ED8BEB.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 41

Zooqu1ko

What’s Xtag? This?
I believe that is the device needed to flash any XMOS XU208 based device. However, it appears that the DAC8 does not usually come with the pins required connect it, just an empty set of holes. One may have to solder the required 0,1" pin header in there, or try to get lucky and just press the pin header in place while flashing. I'd rather wait for Pavel to provide an update tool. It would be interesting to find out if all DAC 8 that definitively cannot be flashed via USB have the header fitted.

dartinbout

As a former owner of a used Okto, I would suggest you test your audio chain for other causes of the intermittent noise. Granted, I also had an early firmware (my unit was #5) but I had to reset the unit once a month or so, until I figured out it was just mostly caused by a buffer issue. As Pavel hasn't been the most responsive of small business owners when it comes to customer service, I wouldn't hold me breath for an easy firmware update. I believe other users noted they had to send the unit back to them for some issue. Okto appears to be a victim of their own success, as evidenced, his pipeline of products is drier then the Nord gas line. I moved on to the Topping DM7 for this reason (which also barfs on occasion). New Topping firmware didn't address that but I did get selective channel volume control. I believe the it's the same ESS chip as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom