• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 USB Converter

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I switched between a "true" mogami 110Ω cable and a cheap monoprice one and at least for the short length I needed I heard zero difference (if I would hear one, I'd have to question what could cause it.. AES/EBU is a solid standard).
I experienced subjective differences between my DIY Supra DAC cables and pro Cordial CDP FM pre assembled ones. Although both are 110 ohms and have similar specs, they do differ on how the shield is constructed. The Cordial being more heavily shielded and (I think) that seems to make an audible difference for 4m, 3m and 2m cable lengths. Everything else being equal, subjectively the Cordial is less fatiguing long term, especially when I’m working and have something playing at low to moderate levels for hours. The Cordial also feels more “present” in the mid range, the Supra sounds somehow “thin” in comparison (sorry for all the golden ear terminology, just my subjective perception)... I will build a new set using Canare DA202 next (probably today if I get all the ingredients) and compare, my guess and hope is that it will not differ much if at all from the Cordial’s.

PS: This is a fairly inexpensive experiment, none of those are costly.

lesoudeur

I experienced subjective differences between my DIY Supra DAC cables and pro Cordial CDP FM pre assembled ones. Although both are 110 ohms and have similar specs, they do differ on how the shield is constructed. The Cordial being more heavily shielded and (I think) that seems to make an audible difference for 4m, 3m and 2m cable lengths. Everything else being equal, subjectively the Cordial is less fatiguing long term, especially when I’m working and have something playing at low to moderate levels for hours. The Cordial also feels more “present” in the mid range, the Supra sounds somehow “thin” in comparison (sorry for all the golden ear terminology, just my subjective perception)... I will build a new set using Canare DA202 next (probably today if I get all the ingredients) and compare, my guess and hope is that it will not differ much if at all from the Cordial’s.

PS: This is a fairly inexpensive experiment, none of those are costly.
Have you thought about trying the Canara DA 206 and/or the Mogami 3080. I have the Mogami 3173 which is their top end cable but still very affordable if you make your own cables up. Neutrik NC3FXX & NC3MXX XLR connectors seem to be the Pro Studio standard. My monitors (Adam Audio S3V) use Neutrik chassis connectors (and so does the Matrix A SPDIF 2). I have also read about people's good experience with screw connector XLRs (e,g, EIZZ EZ-206) and if you are trying different cables it may be worth it?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Have you thought about trying the Canara DA 206 and/or the Mogami 3080. I have the Mogami 3173 which is their top end cable but still very affordable if you make your own cables up. Neutrik NC3FXX & NC3MXX XLR connectors seem to be the Pro Studio standard. My monitors (Adam Audio S3V) use Neutrik chassis connectors (and so does the Matrix A SPDIF 2). I have also read about people's good experience with screw connector XLRs (e,g, EIZZ EZ-206) and if you are trying different cables it may be worth it?
Yes, I might try a Mogami option as well. The DA206 doesn’t have a drain wire which makes it a bit of a pita to terminate… Main difference with the DA202 is gauge for longer lengths.

Regarding termination, yes, always Neutrik, usually sets of NC3FXX-HE/NC3MXX-HE with the chromium finish. With the DA202 I’ll be using their RF XLR that offers a continuous shield from cable to XLR shell. A set of NC3FXCC/NC3MXCC.

I'm using this with my Genelec 8250as and the GLM kit. Trying to get the standard level calculation to work. What is the output level of the AES/EBU output of the XSPDIF2? Is the +4 dBU? I've found that calibrating to -14 Standard Loudness Levels (LUFS) at 73 dB SPL. Not sure if that is right, but streaming from Qobuz and Apple Music Loseless (which is -14 LUFS), seems plausible at my listening position. Not sure I'm thinking about this right, but I liked the Matrix has a front-end to my SAM Genelecs. I could not find a more cost-effective offering, which has a dedicated AES/EBU out and didn't require adapters or the HOSA S/PDIF (or optical) convertor box. Trying to keep as simple of a playback setup as possible.

lesoudeur

Yes, I might try a Mogami option as well. The DA206 doesn’t have a drain wire which makes it a bit of a pita to terminate… Main difference with the DA202 is gauge for longer lengths.

Regarding termination, yes, always Neutrik, usually sets of NC3FXX-HE/NC3MXX-HE with the chromium finish. With the DA202 I’ll be using their RF XLR that offers a continuous shield from cable to XLR shell. A set of NC3FXCC/NC3MXCC.
Yes the DA206 does not have a drain and is 7.3mm OD which may be too big for the NC3FXCC/NC3MXCC (max OD is 6.2mm I believe). I thought about using the NC3FXCC/NC3MXCC but for the restriction on cable OD and that you are recommended to use the Neutrik HEX crimp dies for fixing the strain relief to the cable. Have you experience of fitting these connectors and if so can you just carefully use a pair of pliars. I would be interested in what you think about the results of your experiments.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Yes the DA206 does not have a drain and is 7.3mm OD which may be too big for the NC3FXCC/NC3MXCC (max OD is 6.2mm I believe). I thought about using the NC3FXCC/NC3MXCC but for the restriction on cable OD and that you are recommended to use the Neutrik HEX crimp dies for fixing the strain relief to the cable. Have you experience of fitting these connectors and if so can you just carefully use a pair of pliars. I would be interested in what you think about the results of your experiments.
Yes, I didn't realize the "...CC" plugs were so specific about the OD of the cable. I added an inch of vinyl tape at the endings of the DA202 to compensate a little bit. I haven't had time to spend on subjective listening yet... I also got some Mogami bulk cable on order (the same you have), I might try to shave some of the insulation to fit inside the ferrule. I think I need to bring the experiment to my office space instead of my main listening space... It's an 80/20 (ish) split of my listening time... I work too much... :-(

Last edited:

vitty0425

I would recommend making sure that you have AES/EBU 110Ω cables. I use Mogami Gold (with Mogami 3173) XLR and there was a very audible improvement in all respects. I have Adam Audio's S3Vs set up for digital. In fact I would say that it was a more noticeable improvement than adding an external LVPS for the Matrix SPDIF 2.
Thanks, I too am using Mogami Gold AES cables. I’ve also tried the Blue Jeans Canare AES cables as well. I didn’t AB them enough to tell the difference so I just stuck with Mogami cables. This SPDIF-2 is no longer in the chain to my Genelecs anymore because I am using a Minidsp SHD w/ DIRAC instead of GLM. Went this route because I prefer using a non-genelec subwoofer.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I finally got some time to build a set of Mogami 3173 but this time using the Neutrik EMC series XLR. Neutrik recommends using either the EMC or XCC series plugs for digital cables. Not an easy build, termination is tricky... They do sound good (as they should), I do prefer it over my set of Cordial CDP FM in my office system. Not sure there will be a noticeable subjective difference when compared to my DA202 set terminated with SCC series XLR, each set is in a different system at teh moment. I'll try swiping sets over the weekend in my main system. Now with modded Topping U90 with Scientific Conversion transformers.

lesoudeur

I finally got some time to build a set of Mogami 3173 but this time using the Neutrik EMC series XLR. Neutrik recommends using either the EMC or XCC series plugs for digital cables. Not an easy build, termination is tricky... They do sound good (as they should), I do prefer it over my set of Cordial CDP FM in my office system. Not sure there will be a noticeable subjective difference when compared to my DA202 set terminated with SCC series XLR, each set is in a different system at teh moment. I'll try swiping sets over the weekend in my main system. Now with modded Topping U90 with Scientific Conversion transformers.
Thanks for the update and your current findings.

gvl

Major Contributor
There’s not much benefit using these with DACs that have half decent USB inputs, and basically none with DACs that have excellent USB input such as the Matrix X-Sabre.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
I have a question. What is the sense in your opinion to use x spdif 3 with x sabre pro mqa?
When using the USB input built-in x sabre pro we are using better clocks (crystecs 957) than accusilicons built-in this DDC.
First, both the 2 clicks are fantastic.
Second, you know the X-SPDIF 2 or X-SPDIF3 are not only for DACs from Matrix Audio. :)

Lauwie

Second, you know the X-SPDIF 2 or X-SPDIF3 are not only for DACs from Matrix Audio. :)

@MatrixAudio
Thanks for making great products!
I’ve been using the X-SPDIF2 for 3 years now with my 30 year old VTL 20-bit tube DAC.
It completely transformed the DAC.

Take any old very high end DAC and combine it with an Matrix SPDIF and you will not be dissapointed

Veri

Master Contributor
I’ve been using the X-SPDIF2 for 3 years now with my 30 year old VTL 20-bit tube DAC.
It completely transformed the DAC.

Take any old very high end DAC and combine it with an Matrix SPDIF and you will not be dissapointed
How would that be so? It's not like the x-spdif is doing any noise shaping or dithering to better feed your 20-bit DAC.

lesoudeur

I have the MA SPDIF 2, would I hear any sound improvements with the 3? I use the Element H, MA usb connector, AES output to powered monitors with DSP. (Adam SV3s). I use the SPDIF 2 with an external LPSU.

Top Bottom