• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to SPDIF?

Infinit0

Hi guys. I have bought a rega elicit mk5 amplifier that includes a dac (wolfson) and I really like It the warm sound It provides It fits my linton very well so...
Right now I am connecting my laptop to HDMI to my TV and from my TV digital output to the amplifier(dac).

I dont think this is the best way to do It because I dont know how good IS the electronical part of the TV besides It probably Will resample everything internally.

So I was wondering BEST way to extact digital output directly from my laptop to the amplifier.
I like Matrix Audio x spdif 3 but I think 500 euros for just a digital output is not worth it(or maybe It is).

So which alternatives I have? Well buy something that allows me to usb to spdif (topping d10s etc) or just buy an external dac and use analog, but not sure because as said I like the Rega Dac.

Any recommendations, also considering the quality/noise/etc? Thanks!

OP
I

Infinit0

Thanks!

To be honest I dont know which one is better between the topping d10s and smsl po100pro.
The hifime looks good but I couldnt find any measurements.
I neeed coaxial btw

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor

jeffbook

The D10s will give you both coax AND optical SPDIF output. As a bonus you also get a really nice performing DAC with RCA output jacks. You could use this to feed a headphone amp or any other equipment with analog input to add additional versatility to your system.

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
The D10s will give you both coax AND optical SPDIF output. As a bonus you also get a really nice performing DAC with RCA output jacks. You could use this to feed a headphone amp or any other equipment with analog input to add additional versatility to your system.
The Douk U2 mentioned above is less than half the price, slightly bigger than a zippo lighter, also has both toslink and coax SPDIF outputs. It does not include a quality DAC with single-ended outputs like the Topping D10s though.

Michou

The Douk U2 mentioned above is less than half the price, slightly bigger than a zippo lighter, also has both toslink and coax SPDIF outputs. It does not include a quality DAC with single-ended outputs like the Topping D10s though.
The simple USB to toslink dongle I recommended is 10$

OP
I

Infinit0

The topping is nice but its 100 euro where i live, I dont need the DAC part so I discarded because that.
The Matrix S SPDIF 3 I really like it, to be honest its really expensive for just a usb to spdif output so discarded too
The Douk I can't find it in my country
So my only choice left is the SMSL 100 Pro I think...
Remember I need coax, not optical.

Top Bottom