• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 USB Converter

snapcrackle

Oh boy are you in for disappointment :p

Uh, sure. Enjoy what you enjoy, no harm in that. Being adamant about something does not make it verified nor true though.

I suppose in a way you could be right in the sense that - in blind listening conditions you couldn't even tell the difference between the best measuring Topping and a DAC like the one I have here built over 30 years ago despite technological advances.

I think you guys will be in for a big surprise also :)

Veri

Master Contributor
You could be right to tell you the truth ;) depends on how good the old DAC performs!

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Using the matrix x-spdif 2 without a power supply would benefit any Dac? Like D90
I think it all depends on the DAC’s digital input configuration. A good DAC will not show any meaningful measurable difference. Nevertheless, subjectively, I tend to prefer AES inputs, I feel it gives me a sonic presentation a hair more effortless. And by hair, I really mean it, you have to look for it...

I use both my x-spiff 2’s to feed my Genelec monitors directly from PC or Pi. I power them both directly through the USB port of the devices they are attached to (no external power supply).

zym1010

Forum Donor
Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Just placed an order of this pricey box from Apos, to see if this is snake oil or not for my Genelec 8330 + 7350. Will update this post after I receive it.
No snake oil as far as I can tell, just good tech… Amir had reviewed it. If you are coming from an analog setup and going all digital you should be able to perceive an increase in overall transparency.

zym1010

Forum Donor
No snake oil as far as I can tell, just good tech… Amir had reviewed it. If you are coming from an analog setup and going all digital you should be able to perceive an increase in overall transparency.
yeah but I currently already have an all digital setup (miniDSP USBStreamer B + Hosa ODL-312), so I don't have much high expectation.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
yeah but I currently already have an all digital setup (miniDSP USBStreamer B + Hosa ODL-312), so I don't have much high expectation.
Please let us know your impressions once you have the new setup up and running.

zym1010

Forum Donor
Just placed an order of this pricey box from Apos, to see if this is snake oil or not for my Genelec 8330 + 7350. Will update this post after I receive it.

received it today and A/B tested it with my previous setup (miniDSP USB streamer); could not tell any remarkable difference if any. I guess returning it and sticking to the cheap miniDSP should not affect my happiness in music listening much. To this date I feel room treatment and having a good pair of speakers are more useful than anything else.

lesoudeur

My experience with the Matrix A SPDIF 2 has been extremely positive to say the least. I use a high end (self-built X299 I9-7980xe light overclock Seasonic 850W Titanium PS) PC with the Matrix Audio Element H USB card as the source. Initially I was using an external linear power supply at 12v for the Element card which then supplied the power to the SPDIF 2 using the USB cable (Matrix Audio's own cable). I ran this for some time and was very pleased with the SQ. I also added a 12v LPS for the router / hub (Superhub 3). To provide a background for this, I have a pair of Adam Audio S3V monitors that I had paired with the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA DAC using the monitors set for analogue input. The monitors have a built-in DSP but I could not find anyone with experiences of using this so bought the SPDIF 2 to replace the X-Sabre Pro to connect directly to the monitors digital interface. Surprisingly this was an improvement in SQ. Last week I experimented again by resetting the LPS to 7v to supply the SPDIF 2 directly (having read of people experimenting with different voltage (6-9v) settings for obtaining the best SQ). Again this latest set up provided the best SQ and as such I can really endorse using a decent external LPS directly to the SPDIF 2...in fact I am pretty much staggered at the improvement and hearing details that were not there or were previously masked. I can also endorse using the SPDIF 2 to supply a digital interface for monitors that have a digital input because this provides the most direct signal (for the Adam Audio monitors, I do not know about examples such as the Genelec).

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a pair of Adam Audio S3V monitors that I had paired with the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA DAC using the monitors set for analogue input. The monitors have a built-in DSP but I could not find anyone with experiences of using this so bought the SPDIF 2 to replace the X-Sabre Pro to connect directly to the monitors digital interface. Surprisingly this was an improvement in SQ. Last week I experimented again by resetting the LPS to 7v to supply the SPDIF 2 directly (having read of people experimenting with different voltage (6-9v) settings for obtaining the best SQ). Again this latest set up provided the best SQ and as such I can really endorse using a decent external LPS directly to the SPDIF 2...in fact I am pretty much staggered at the improvement and hearing details that were not there or were previously masked.
That's now how a digital/spdif signal works, though. No such thing as "masked" details in 0's and 1's. It's extremely likely you're just hearing those changes after changing your set-up around, expectation bias and/or placebo effect, if you will.

It is very hard to beat straight USB power that is filtered as well as in the X-SPDIF:
index.php

vs straight USB power:
index.php

lesoudeur

Thanks for your comment. Please know that I was not expecting any improvements at all. My last change was only to use the LPS to directly supply the SPDIF 2 instead of through the Element H external route. It also removed the need to have another cable to the PC (my PC uses the excellent Silverstone Fortress FT02 that uses the motherboard in the vertical position). However, there are very discernible improvements that I can hear which may be explained by the more direct route of the power supply to the SPDIF 2.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for your comment. Please know that I was not expecting any improvements at all. My last change was only to use the LPS to directly supply the SPDIF 2 instead of through the Element H external route. It also removed the need to have another cable to the PC (my PC uses the excellent Silverstone Fortress FT02 that uses the motherboard in the vertical position). However, there are very discernible improvements that I can hear which may be explained by the more direct route of the power supply to the SPDIF 2.
Well it surely is a nice little digital transport.. :)

vitty0425

I got this Matrix Audio SPDIF 2 to use with my Genelecs. However, since I switch between my Macbook Pro & PC at my desk, I use this Ugreen USB switcher. The USB switcher is also a 4 port USB hub. I have my keyboard, mouse, GLM, and Matrix SPDIF2 on it to share between the 2 machines.

It seems to be working well and I'm only using the SPDIF 2 to send AES signal to my Genelec 8341s (just received :)). In my case would it be recommended to use an external power supply to the SPDIF 2? Or remove it from the hub and connect it directly to the machine? Or should I not worry about it?

Veri

Master Contributor
I got this Matrix Audio SPDIF 2 to use with my Genelecs. However, since I switch between my Macbook Pro & PC at my desk, I use this Ugreen USB switcher. The USB switcher is also a 4 port USB hub. I have my keyboard, mouse, GLM, and Matrix SPDIF2 on it to share between the 2 machines.

It seems to be working well and I'm only using the SPDIF 2 to send AES signal to my Genelec 8341s (just received :)). In my case would it be recommended to use an external power supply to the SPDIF 2? Or remove it from the hub and connect it directly to the machine? Or should I not worry about it?
I'd personally just not worry about it at all.. :) as long as everything just works without issue.

vitty0425

I'd personally just not worry about it at all.. :) as long as everything just works without issue.
Haha thanks. Just to remove any doubts I’ll try plugging it directly into one of the USB slots of the computer and compare. If there’s no difference then I’ll just leave it in the hub and not worry about it :cool:.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I have a very similar setup… What LPS are you using for the X-SPDIF 2, I had a hard time finding one with the right voltage? I’m powering mine from the Element H… I wonder if the improvements you are hearing could be related to the decouple of the USB power instead of the actual LPS. Similar to what Topping HS01 does. I’m also thinking about trying the Topping U90 to see if it has any effect on the sound…

Ismapics

Here we go ASR Community,

Yea another YT talking head claiming that we are Bozo's and that his Upgrade to a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 is providing better sound. Just on listening tests alone. Aha, another set of Golden Ears. If he is able to detect a difference but placing this thing in the signal path just with his ears, he should call NASA and volunteer. Well, I told him about this review and he was not happy. He said we are Bozos here at ASR.

These YT talking heads are there for the likes and views and really dont care about the process. When confronted, in a lack of argument, they just pivot into insults. Show their real personality. One more for the snake oil crowd.

Well, I think he deleted the comments, but I managed to capture the juicy one.

#MatrixAudio #myowndevices

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 6.01.07 PM.png

Upgrade the sound of computer based streaming with a better SPDIF converter: Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2

lesoudeur

I would recommend making sure that you have AES/EBU 110Ω cables. I use Mogami Gold (with Mogami 3173) XLR and there was a very audible improvement in all respects. I have Adam Audio's S3Vs set up for digital. In fact I would say that it was a more noticeable improvement than adding an external LVPS for the Matrix SPDIF 2.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would recommend making sure that you have AES/EBU 110Ω cables. I use Mogami Gold (with Mogami 3173) XLR and there was a very audible improvement in all respects. I have Adam Audio's S3Vs set up for digital. In fact I would say that it was a more noticeable improvement than adding an external LVPS for the Matrix SPDIF 2.
I switched between a "true" mogami 110Ω cable and a cheap monoprice one and at least for the short length I needed I heard zero difference (if I would hear one, I'd have to question what could cause it.. AES/EBU is a solid standard).

Top Bottom