• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

TGB

@TGB I have done that but while their support people are very responsive and polite they just see the wifi as the culprit not taking into account the fact that there are no problems whatsoever with other devices.
Try again, explain that their competitors devices does not have this issue on same setup :)

Usually makes them react ;) It's a cultural thing.

TGB

Hi there, can anyone comment on this? Unfortunately we don't have a local agent here for testing.
The beauty of the Element X is the combination of a fantastic DAC, fantastic streamer and fantastic headphone amplifier. There is no way you can beat this combination by splitting into several devices with cables between (and multiple PSU)

In my opinion it is critical to have balanced cables against the headphones if that is a possibility. Else the Element X will no deliver enough juice for the more demanding headphones (usually the less demanding plays better with more effect from the amplifier as well).

raykkho

Forum Donor
The beauty of the Element X is the combination of a fantastic DAC, fantastic streamer and fantastic headphone amplifier. There is no way you can beat this combination by splitting into several devices with cables between (and multiple PSU)

In my opinion it is critical to have balanced cables against the headphones if that is a possibility. Else the Element X will no deliver enough juice for the more demanding headphones (usually the less demanding plays better with more effect from the amplifier as well).

Thanks a lot for the comment, I totally is for the one-box setup, just wonder how the HP amp section is when comparing to other stand alone ones like Topping A90, which has better measurement.

TGB

My Matrix Element X just arrived from the factory :cool:

IMG_0477.jpeg

TGB

I found out the Isotek Sigmas EVO3 gave no value for the Matrix Element X, it is really well designed it seems.

Edit:
Regarding Isotek Sigmas; I change my mind - when measured noise goes above a certain threshold it actually helps (I really wanted to sell this "meaningless" device).

Last edited:

TGB

I played a bit with the setting DPLL bandwidth.

Feedback from Matrix Audio:
Digital PLL bandwidth=Digital Phase Locked Loop bandwidth
There are three options in this setting menu.
Low: Low bandwidth High: High bandwidth Normal: Standard bandwidth (Default)

In general, Low bandwidth need high quality front end signal quality, but also have the best output performance.
High bandwidth only require lower quality signal from front end device, but it maybe reduced the output performance.

I did some testing and could clearly hear improvement when selecting "Low" for this setting. I don't think people are aware of the potential here for sources with high quality clock. Selecting Normal gave a slightly more "muddy" presentation of the audio, and much worse when moving up to "High" setting.

Further feedback from Matrix Audio is that this setting applies to all inputs (I have registered a feature request to get setting for each input) including the internal streamer.

@amirm: Did you change this setting for your measurements ?

Last edited:

Kesi

Thanks a lot for the comment, I totally is for the one-box setup, just wonder how the HP amp section is when comparing to other stand alone ones like Topping A90, which has better measurement.

Planning to get the A90 for my Element X,.. I’m still searching for info regarding the Element X + Topping A90 combo

TGB

Works fine on Audeze LCD-4 at least. But to get the required juice you need to have them connected balanced.
Skjermbilde 2020-07-23 kl. 16.28.59.png

Yes I know the measurements are for balanced output for +18dB@Low Gain :)

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
Planning to get the A90 for my Element X,.. I’m still searching for info regarding the Element X + Topping A90 combo
Wow that would be something. Do you think the HP amp section on the X is not good enough?

TGB

Wow that would be something. Do you think the HP amp section on the X is not good enough?
In my experience it is good enough; the LCD-4 (200 ohm) falls through without 1000mw capable amplifier, but fine for everything above. But regardless the Element X manage to handle the Audeze LCD-4 fine at least. Also a bonus in not needing multiple devices with cables etc.

Last edited:

Kesi

The amp section is good enough, Linear and detailed. But sometimes I want to have a warmer sound sig and punchier bass on some of the songs i listen to, based on user experience on other forums the A90 has a warm sound sig with enough power. Hopefully someone here has an experience with the Element X and A90 combo.

raykkho

Forum Donor
In my experience it is good enough; the LCD-4 (200 ohm) falls through without 1000mw capable amplifier, but fine for everything above. But regardless the Element X manage to handle the Audeze LCD-4 fine at least. Also a bonus in not needing multiple devices with cables etc.

".. a bonus in not needing multiple devices with cables etc." that is indeed the reason I am putting the X on top of my list although it is more than double than say Topping A90+D90+ Allo USBridge.

raykkho

Forum Donor
The amp section is good enough, Linear and detailed. But sometimes I want to have a warmer sound sig and punchier bass on some of the songs i listen to, based on user experience on other forums the A90 has a warm sound sig with enough power. Hopefully someone here has an experience with the Element X and A90 combo.

Very interesting indeed, I imagine the X is powerful enough to drive cans like the Empyrean.

TGB

I found a bug in the Element X.

When enabling auto dim of display
Wait until display dims
Switch input via remote will lead to wrong input being shown in the display of Element X.

Reported this to Matrix Audio, they had already fixed it - available for next firmware.

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
I found a bug in the Element X.

When enabling auto dim of display
Wait until display dims
Switch input via remote will lead to wrong input being shown in the display of Element X.

Reported this to Matrix Audio, they had already fixed it - available for next firmware.

Well done, also Matrix seems to have good response.

TGB

Well done, also Matrix seems to have good response.
They are really good at responding, not like Trinnov which responds more or less immediately 24/7. Seems like Matrix are sticking to ordinary working hours in China, but responds the day after usually.

raykkho

Forum Donor
They are really good at responding, not like Trinnov which responds more or less immediately 24/7. Seems like Matrix are sticking to ordinary working hours in China, but responds the day after usually.

I would say considering the price point of both brands, they are doing good. :)

TGB

Just got mine setup with Meze Emphyrean, really happy :)
The Element X is fantastic. Still extremely happy.

I experienced a few locks of the streamer - but after configuring NAS share on the Element X (even though I'm never using it) it has worked flawlessly. I informed Matrix Audio about my findings and they are investigating. Using mainly IIS input and the Element X as Roon endpoint.

Top Bottom