• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

raykkho

Forum Donor
The Element X is fantastic. Still extremely happy.

I experienced a few locks of the streamer - but after configuring NAS share on the Element X (even though I'm never using it) it has worked flawlessly. I informed Matrix Audio about my findings and they are investigating. Using mainly IIS input and the Element X as Roon endpoint.

Totally agree with you, my experience with the X so far has been solid, just minor hiccup when setting up the WiFi. My WiFi SSID is hidden and seems like the MA app doesn't give you the option of adding WiFi network not on their list, so after unhide my SSID, cooling down myself down :), restarted the phone and the X once, it was smooth sailing afterward, just solid.

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
1.jpeg

My room dictates that I use WiFi, or homeplug (later). I can confirm with my WiFi setup, with 5Hz router no more than 15 feet away, I am able to stream ANYTHING that I have with no hiccup and with very good response speed as well. My testing materials included DSD256 and Tidal MQA 384.

One cool but probably minor feature, at least to me, is that not only you can turn off your unit with the MA app, you can turn it on as well. So with the app you basically have zero need to touch the front panel buttons and knob :)

Last edited:

Archsam

View attachment 76248
My room dictates that I use WiFi, or homeplug (later). I can confirm with my WiFi setup, with 5Hz router no more than 15 feet away, I am able to stream ANYTHING that I have with no hiccup and with very good response speed as well. My testing materials included DSD256 and Tidal MQA 384.

One cool but probably minor feature, at least to me, is that not only you can turn off your unit with the MA app, you can turn it on as well. So with the app you basically have zero need to touch the front panel buttons and knob :)

Not sure if you want to put all the books on top of your Element X? Top of my unit runs very warm during operation, and it's still warm when on standby. Here in London UK the summer temperature is quite mild (except for the heat wave this week), so if it is located in a warmer climate I will definitely keep as much free space around it as possible.

raykkho

Forum Donor
Not sure if you want to put all the books on top of your Element X? Top of my unit runs very warm during operation, and it's still warm when on standby. Here in London UK the summer temperature is quite mild (except for the heat wave this week), so if it is located in a warmer climate I will definitely keep as much free space around it as possible.
Thanks, that was just the first day when I was still shuffling things around, they're all gone now, and yes, they do run warm :)

Reactions: TGB

Vladimir_Kl

Hi, I'd like to see any opinions on usefulness of dimmer mode for sound quality. Manual mentions that dimmer mode is required to "to avoid the interference from the LED indicator and the screen". Is it really proven by measurements? I don't mind using it, but there is some inconvenience or glitches when I'm changing device volume from Roon while in dimmer mode. So does dimmer mode actually improve sound? Or it can be safely turned off?

Last edited:

TGB

Hi, I'd like to see any opinions on usefulness of dimmer mode for sound quality. Manual mentions that dimmer mode is required to "to avoid the interference from the LED indicator and the screen". Is it really proven by measurements? I don't mind using it, but there is some inconvenience or glitches when I'm changing device volume from Roon while in dimmer mode. So does dimmer mode actually improve sound? Or it can be safely turned off?
I have not done any measurements, but can in no way hear any difference in audio when display is on or off.
Reason I'm using display dimming is to avoid killing the display (they are not made to be turned on forever).

raykkho

Forum Donor
I'm with the above poster. I don't have good enough ears to hear any difference, and I prefer lights to be off when I'm listening to music, also I have no problem whatsoever with Roon volume with the dimmer setting either. Perhaps you can write to MA to see if they can help you with your issues?

Vladimir_Kl

Yes, I posted on MA forum couple of days ago, hope they will reply. I think that problem is in design of dimmer feature - so first control action in dimmer mode just turns display on and only second actually performs. This is ok for IR remote, but works bad from Roon UI. When I use +- volume buttons in Roon to control volume by small steps in dimmer mode, first pressing just turns display on and only second actually changes volume by 2 db. This can lead to undesired volume jump when listening on high volume level.

raykkho

Forum Donor
Yes, I posted on MA forum couple of days ago, hope they will reply. I think that problem is in design of dimmer feature - so first control action in dimmer mode just turns display on and only second actually performs. This is ok for IR remote, but works bad from Roon UI. When I use +- volume buttons in Roon to control volume by small steps in dimmer mode, first pressing just turns display on and only second actually changes volume by 2 db. This can lead to undesired volume jump when listening on high volume level.
Noted, why not try using MA app to control the volume? I never used Roon to control volume. MA app volume seems reasonably responsive to me.

Vladimir_Kl

Sorry, but I prefer doing everything from Roon - it has excellent volume control features including volume limits. The problem is just with dimmer mode, I believe MA could solve it.

TGB

I get volume response on element X on first click in Roon for volume.

raykkho

Forum Donor
Using MA app it has similar behavior, the first press of volume wakes up the display and second press starts working but in half db cycle so no big deal there. Perhaps MA can consider NOT waking up the display and let remote functions carry through, unless the actual physical buttons are used? However, some users might actually prefer seeing the volume changes display on the front screen, a preference kind of thing.

Also I am not sure if anyone noticed, but nothing big deal. If you are using the MA app and want to turn off the machine, the app power button will not work, UNLESS you somehow wakes up the front display, such as adjusting the volume. So it probably sums up that the control functions only work when the display is on. I can be totally wrong but in actual fact I am very happy with the element X :)

Last edited:

Vladimir_Kl

MA just replied in their forum and promised improvements to dimmer mode in next firmware update, so keep fingers crossed. I also quite satisfied with Element X and believe that after dimmer mode fix it will be almost ideal :)

TGB

MA just replied in their forum and promised improvements to dimmer mode in next firmware update, so keep fingers crossed. I also quite satisfied with Element X and believe that after dimmer mode fix it will be almost ideal :)
I have also reported this and several other minor bugs to them.

I'm very happy with the element X; so these display things are just minor details and not something that breaks the experience.

raykkho

Forum Donor
can you please point me to the forum?

Top Bottom