• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

I'm currently liaising with my MA dealer about my filter issue. I've tried both USB and ethernet now, and in both cases I'm stuck with one very 'leaky' filter, irrespective of which filter I select on the Element X (24/44.1 white noise):

Ethernet - Filter 1.JPG

Unsurprisingly, this filter is causing extensive imaging (1kHz sine tone):

MA Element X - 1kHz sine tone - Ethernet.JPG

Looking at the manual, all the filter profiles show EDIT: good attenuation before the Nyquist frequency 10dB attenuation by the Nyquist frequency:

Filter curves - manual.JPG

EDIT: And yet Amir's own measurements show four of the filters going well beyond the Nyquist frequency exactly the same:

Filter curves - ASR.JPG

I'm sure between MA support, my dealer and myself, we'll get my unit sorted out. EDIT: But whilst we wait for MA support to return from holiday, does anyone have any thoughts on all of the above?

Mani.

Last edited:
I'm currently liaising with my MA dealer about my filter issue. I've tried both USB and ethernet now, and in both cases I'm stuck with one very 'leaky' filter, irrespective of which filter I select on the Element X (24/44.1 white noise):

View attachment 46805

Unsurprisingly, this filter is causing extensive imaging (1kHz sine tone):

View attachment 46806

Looking at the manual, all the filter profiles show EDIT: good attenuation before the Nyquist frequency 10dB attenuation by the Nyquist frequency:

View attachment 46808

EDIT: And yet Amir's own measurements show four of the filters going well beyond the Nyquist frequency exactly the same:

View attachment 46810

I'm sure between MA support, my dealer and myself, we'll get my unit sorted out. EDIT: But whilst we wait for MA support to return from holiday, does anyone have any thoughts on all of the above?

Mani.
Remember to compensate for the scale of the graph. amir's scale is from -100dB, while Matrix Audio's is from -10dB. if you look as from amir's -10dB mark, it's essentially identical to the Matrix Audio graph.

Yes, I realised as soon as I had posted, hence my edits.

Mani.

Hello everybody. I bought the element X and it will arrive in 14 days. I hope i can drive my 420 ohms Audiotechnica ATH-ADX5000 well. When it arrives, I will give you my opinion. Greetings to all

Hello everybody. I bought the element X and it will arrive in 14 days. I hope i can drive my 420 ohms Audiotechnica ATH-ADX5000 well. When it arrives, I will give you my opinion. Greetings to all
Hello! Did you get your element X? would be interesting to hear your experience. Cheers

Hello! Did you get your element X? would be interesting to hear your experience. Cheers
Hello, yes i receveid yesterday the Element X. Im in trying, but the first impression is not so good. I had the pleasure to use and listen the Element M with my headphone Audio Technica Adx 5000 and was an amazing experience! So I thinked that the X will be a superior step, but the sound that i remember of M is more explosive, more open etc.., on the X i feel more flat and close. Maybe my X need a few hours of use to sound better.
In will tell more on these days, in every case, next week will go to the store for a live comparative between my X and the M.
Anyone know which is the better filter to use and between usb or network which is better?
Thanks.

Veri

Major Contributor
it is funny? maybe im not very expert and need some advices?
Oh no I didn't mean anything bad. I just meant, if you think you found optimal settings I'd just leave them like that and put your mind off it. right ?

Last edited:
Yesterday i had the opportunity to compared the M and X together.
What can i say? I was wrong because i made a bad consideration without wait more hours of use.
After a few days and a live comparative, i can say that the X is more refined than M, both on headphone and on speakers.
In every case the M is a very good choice, very close to the X.
Next step for me is to compare the unbalanced and balanced headphone. I bought the balanced cable for Adx5000 that will arrive the next week.
If anyone have tryed the 7 filters , could tell me which is better? I found good the 5, but i'll glad to hear some opinions.

Tks

Major Contributor
Stick to Filter 5

By the way, great setup you got going. The Element X is pretty much end-game all-in-one. Streamer, DAC, AMP. Can't go wrong especially with it's wonderful performance.

Stick to Filter 5

By the way, great setup you got going. The Element X is pretty much end-game all-in-one. Streamer, DAC, AMP. Can't go wrong especially with it's wonderful performance.
Thank you. Yes, i think that in the headphone category I'll be really fine, the Adx 5000 for me is an inestimable value and i think that it is a beast. The next and last step will be to find a good balanced final amplifier to drive my Klipsch Rf-63

Top Bottom