• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Actually, the Atom has more power than the 789 if you're using the 789's unbalanced SE headphone output. I was confused about this myself, which is initially why I made an account to ask about it here and confirm. So even buying hard to drive headphones wouldn't really justify upgrading to the 789, unless you also had a balanced cable for them.
If you have hard to drive headphones, you really should be using the amp that gives you the largest amount of clean power and the cables / DAC to support such delivery.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can already murder you ears with clean power with the Atom.
"cables / DAC to support such delivery" has no meaning IMO.

Azeia

If you have hard to drive headphones, you really should be using the amp that gives you the largest amount of clean power and the cables / DAC to support such delivery.
Yeah, for now I bought a DX3 Pro. When @tomchr's amp is complete, I think I'll buy that and use my DX3 in DAC mode with it. I would probably have gotten an Atom, but I just really have a thing for metal cases; I know that's silly, but I can't help it.

The DX3 actually works fine with my DT 990s (250 Ohm) right now for most things like music, but it's when I watch movies or TV shows that it gets a bit iffy; I think it may be because these have 5.1 audio that is being downmixed to stereo. Basically when there is a scene in the film/show with intense bass+reverb effects, it can start to clip; think of the sounds during Bran's visions in Game of Thrones, or like the "bwong" sound they do in the Inception film. I practically never have the issue with music, probably because most music is mastered for stereo in the first place, that's my theory anyways.

In addition to all this, I'd like to have more headroom to raise the volume a bit higher sometimes. So yeah, for now I can live with this setup, but I'll definitely be shopping for an amp to upgrade to.

Roen

You can already murder you ears with clean power with the Atom.
"cables / DAC to support such delivery" has no meaning IMO.

It means, if you need more power than the SE, you need balanced cables and a balanced DAC to provide 2x the power.

It was meant to clarify that just having a balanced amp won't give you more power, if you don't have a balanced chain of devices feeding it.

Alderaan_Null

I'm not digging the "DROP + THX AAA 789" stretch logo. I like the simple clean logo of the original. I hope the one I ordered back two rounds ago has the old logo.

All orders prior to todays newest drop will retain the MassDrop logo from what MassDrop has said. Todays drop (and future drops) will have this new Drop+ logo.

Toshinden

The only reason to buy THX AAA 789 over JDS Atom are for extra port and more volume sound right?

Azeia

It means, if you need more power than the SE, you need balanced cables and a balanced DAC to provide 2x the power.
Well, the Neurochrome HP-1 manages to put out around 400mw or so of power into 300 Ohms through SE/unbalanced headphone output, which the THX AAA 789 can only do that much through balanced headphone output. So from what I understand this is more a matter of amplifier design than anything else.

In my situation I would have to mod my DT 990s in order to use balanced, since they don't have a removable cable, and given that they're almost brand new (just a few months old), I'm not really interested in that; I'd rather wait for a beastly SE amp. Besides, the ship date for this latest batch of the 789 is apparently November, which is the same estimate (albeit tentative) that Tom gave for his new HPA-1 successor to the HP-1. So even if I was willing to mod my headphones I'd still have to wait until November for the 789, not really worth it.

The only reason to buy THX AAA 789 over JDS Atom are for extra port and more volume sound right?
Yeah, but to be clear, the "more volume" would only be through that extra port, the balanced headphone output, which requires a different cable for headphones. Otherwise the Atom should be better even in volume if you're comparing unbalanced headphone out, since it has more power.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Besides, the ship date for this latest batch of the 789 is apparently November, which is the same estimate (albeit tentative) that Tom gave for his new HPA-1 successor to the HP-1.
...or you could meet me at RMAF and I could send you home with one of my HPA-1 prototypes should you be so inclined. :)

RMAF is September 6-8. I'll be in Booth #23 in the "Headspace" (formerly CanJam, but CanJam pulled out) co-exhibiting with Redscape Audio.

Tom

Roen

Well, the Neurochrome HP-1 manages to put out around 400mw or so of power into 300 Ohms through SE/unbalanced headphone output, which the THX AAA 789 can only do that much through balanced headphone output. So from what I understand this is more a matter of amplifier design than anything else.

In my situation I would have to mod my DT 990s in order to use balanced, since they don't have a removable cable, and given that they're almost brand new (just a few months old), I'm not really interested in that; I'd rather wait for a beastly SE amp. Besides, the ship date for this latest batch of the 789 is apparently November, which is the same estimate (albeit tentative) that Tom gave for his new HPA-1 successor to the HP-1. So even if I was willing to mod my headphones I'd still have to wait until November for the 789, not really worth it.

Yeah, but to be clear, the "more volume" would only be through that extra port, the balanced headphone output, which requires a different cable for headphones. Otherwise the Atom should be better even in volume if you're comparing unbalanced headphone out, since it has more power.

Some amps have the same power whether SE or balanced (HP-1). Others have 2x the power when balanced (THX AAA 999). This is just amp design.

Balanced THX AAA 789 has more power than SE / Balanced HP-1 though @ 50 ohms. It's in the review posted on this site. Seems like 300 ohms favors the HP-1.

But regardless, if an amp supports more power via Balanced than via SE, you'll need a balanced DAC and balanced cables to realize said power.

Azeia

...or you could meet me at RMAF and I could send you home with one of my HPA-1 prototypes should you be so inclined. :)
I wish I could afford the plane ticket to Denver, it would be my first audio show. Unfortunately I'm all the way at the other end of the country (Canada) from you so driving to Denver wouldn't be an option either I think.

Thats insane... 300$ difference just for that... i dont understand!
I think the THX amp came out first, so at the time there wasn't really anything else available at this level of quality for the price; now there are other options of course, but the 789 is still famous, and looks pretty good on a desk, and has balanced inputs which can help eliminate potential ground loop issues, so some people still like it.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hmm, I was thinking the new Topping D50s would match nicely with THX 789 amp.

But I may wait for the upcoming Topping DX7 Pro, all in one DAC/Amp.

Keep the component count down.

Toshinden

To tell you the truth ,my hand burn to preorder them since its available now...
If there is truly no more reason to take them (i already have the JDS Atom) for significant upgrade about quality sound,ill try to forget them.
Most people said they are mostly the same...

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Did they raise the price? It would cost me 500$ to get the 789 to Germany. I am very curious but I guess there is absolutely no need to upgrade. My Atom can drive anything I own in Low Gain. I think I need a new headphone to justify it :D

No you shouldn't.

wadec22

the THX vs the atom amp.... how much difference is there between the lowest gain on the THX and the 1x (low gain) on atom? for iem or super low impedance cans - will performance advantage shift back to THX or no? Does using the digital volume control in windows have a similar effect to the gain attenuation on the THX? curious to hear your thoughts @amirm

escalibur

the THX vs the atom amp.... how much difference is there between the lowest gain on the THX and the 1x (low gain) on atom? for iem or super low impedance cans - will performance advantage shift back to THX or no? Does using the digital volume control in windows have a similar effect to the gain attenuation on the THX? curious to hear your thoughts @amirm
Matbe @amirm should re-do Atom vs. 789 measurement with combined graphs and some subjective tests as well? :)

Ps. Topic’s Massdrop should be replaced with DROP instead?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Matbe @amirm should re-do Atom vs. 789 measurement with combined graphs and some subjective tests as well? :)
amirm has way too much gear right now to be tested instead of going back to older reviews. :)

Toshinden

To tell you the truth ,my hand burn to preorder them since its available now...
If there is truly no more reason to take them (i already have the JDS Atom) for significant upgrade about quality sound,ill try to forget them.
Most people said they are mostly the same...

esm

Forum Donor
My interest in a re-review of this unit is because it appears they're now building it in volume; am I reading this correctly, they jumped from something like 300 sold when I looked yesterday to over 4400 sold as of right now? Or did they merge in the sales volume from prior runs into it between yesterday and today?

I'm very curious (although purely as an academic exercise, I have one of the earlier units already) as to whether they're maintaining quality control now that they're shipping retail levels of kit out the door, because scaling up is where things get really interesting.

Top Bottom