• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Tks

Major Contributor
My interest in a re-review of this unit is because it appears they're now building it in volume; am I reading this correctly, they jumped from something like 300 sold when I looked yesterday to over 4400 sold as of right now? Or did they merge in the sales volume from prior runs into it between yesterday and today?

I'm very curious (although purely as an academic exercise, I have one of the earlier units already) as to whether they're maintaining quality control now that they're shipping retail levels of kit out the door, because scaling up is where things get really interesting.

It’s merged data, they had around 4,000 sold before his drop opened.

greyscale

Forum Donor
Still, at $400.00ea. =$1,834.000. not bad. :cool:

imagidominc

Forum Donor
I own the THX 789 and would only recommend it to someone who wants to run “hardcore mode”, i.e. balanced system throughout (which I do). But for the vast majority of people, the atom is probably the best bang for your buck. It’s not like it’s going to sound vastly different, anyway. Both are phenomenal products at what they do.

hrbngr

For those of you that ordered the Grace SDAC Balanced. What gain setting are you currently using? I have mine currently set to ?Level? (1) using foobar2000 v1.4.6 WASAPI (event) on Windows 7 64bit Home

Of note, I have the DAC set to the USB 1 option per the instructions, for the USB 1.0 connectivity it states rates up to 96kHz w/24-bit precision, however in Speaker Properties Default Format is set to 32 bit, 96000 Hz w/no other available option.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those of you that ordered the Grace SDAC Balanced. What gain setting are you currently using? I have mine currently set to ?Level? (1) using foobar2000 v1.4.6 WASAPI (event) on Windows 7 64bit Home

Of note, I have the DAC set to the USB 1 option per the instructions, for the USB 1.0 connectivity it states rates up to 96kHz w/24-bit precision, however in Speaker Properties Default Format is set to 32 bit, 96000 Hz w/no other available option.
2 for HP, 1 for IEMs

Azeia

Of note, I have the DAC set to the USB 1 option per the instructions, for the USB 1.0 connectivity it states rates up to 96kHz w/24-bit precision, [...]
FYI, that's not referring to USB 1.0, it refers to the USB Audio Class (UAC) version. Typically you want the newest one (which is UAC 2.0 for most devices), but you may have to install additional drivers to get the newest one working depending on the OS. You can find out more about this here.

There is actually a USB Audio Class 3.0 now, but it seems to mostly be power-management improvements, not audio quality improvements (there probably isn't really much left to improve here anyways).

Roen, thanks. Looking forward to Amir's review of the Grace Balanced DAC.
Did someone send one to Amir already? I'd like to see this review too, as it seems like the most affordable balanced DAC out there.

escalibur

Azeia

Whatever the name is, it seems high quality to me, don't need the THX label on it, nor is it from drop ;-) ..... I really hope! My only issue is shipping costs and taxes to EU citizens.
Yeah, I'm looking at Tom's amp as well; I'm in Canada so the shipping/taxes likely won't be an issue for me since it's being assembled here. I was considering the 789 until I found out that the Atom beats it in single-ended power output; the Atom is good value but I really would prefer a nice solid metal chassis, and am willing to pay the premium for it.

I don't know if you've seen yet, but if you check the Neurochrome HP-1 thread, there's been some updates on the new amp, and just yesterday pics of the prototype boards. Lookin' good so far. =)

Top Bottom