• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When was the last time these were available, I always see a wait list on there site.
I doubt they will do another batch tbh. They did a collab with (I think) smsl not too long ago that I think was meant to be the spiritual successor but don't recall seeing any reviews.

Too crowded a market now I fear.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They currently have a waiting list of 23,600 people.
What do i know then! :facepalm::facepalm:

(though I suspect they are not all since the last run. Perhaps the list never matches waiters to orders).

Reactions: SCG

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the Monoprice version when on sale to have a back-up HP amp. Sounds identical. And cheaper if memory serves (when on sale).

SCG

That one also always seems to be on wait list with ETA TBD, what sale price did you pay?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That one also always seems to be on wait list with ETA TBD, what sale price did you pay?
Tbh can't remember but I believe is was around $200? It was a decent enough price that I jumped on it, even though the THX is working fine.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Monoprice has an open box available for $179, looks like it has the same warranty, too. Get it here.
I had the Monoprice amp, but sold it when I got my A90, only because I wanted pre-amp output. It is a great amp for most any headphones.

Last edited:

Selarom

When was the last time these were available, I always see a wait list on there site.
At this point, I would not recommend it. It has a common issue where you will have to routinely spray clean the volume pot with contact cleaner and some channel imbalance. Get something price comparable instead with at least a resistor ladder pot or a known good volume pot.

Both Drop and Monolith use a $1 crappy, small pot that is its “Achilles Heel”. A real shame IMO

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My pot is perfect and it's several years old. I don't believe every unit suffers from this malady.

Selarom

Same. Almost 4 years on the desktop now and still trucking.
Same here. Mine is from the 2nd batch and zero issue over many years now. Daily use in the office: 9-5, Mon-Fri ;)
WOW! Jealous! you guys are lucky! Are your units from original release model or the revised model. I have the revised model, and I even looked into replacing the pot with another one (ALPS). But the knob is epoxied into the pot shaft (impossible to take out). Can't think of a way to remove it without damaging the front chassis face or the PCB itself. Makes it not worth the effort IMO.

AVKS

WOW! Jealous! you guys are lucky! Are your units from original release model or the revised model. I have the revised model, and I even looked into replacing the pot with another one (ALPS). But the knob is epoxied into the pot shaft (impossible to take out). Can't think of a way to remove it without damaging the front chassis face or the PCB itself. Makes it not worth the effort IMO.
Pretty sure mine is the revised, as I have the Drop branding vs Mass drop.

zepplock

Mine does not have 'Drop' badging, it's original one but 2nd batch.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No clue-how would I know if it's OG or revised?

dolph99

The pot on my monoprice 887 is basically perfect. Except I had to put on a white sticker for the volume indicator. Annoying but not the worst thing given the price/performance ratio of this thing.

Antagron

So which companies will still be using THX amp tech going forward? We'll have to see.
It seems like Benchmark uses THX tech in their amps.

Top Bottom