• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Analog Performance

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the original CCA also requires internet connectivity (although their may be some server work-around I do not know about). If the new Mini is like the old, there will be a physical switch to turn off the mic.

But, I like being able to mute, skip, pause, and go to tracks with voice commands. I am also very boring and do not think anything I say would be of interest to Google's minions ;)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the original CCA also requires internet connectivity (although their may be some server work-around I do not know about).

Only if you play from a streaming souce on the net. I run a CCA that is completely isolated from the Internet.

If the new Mini is like the old, there will be a physical switch to turn off the mic.

Have you physically verified that?

But, I like being able to mute, skip, pause, and go to tracks with voice commands. I am also very boring and do not think anything I say would be of interest to Google's minions ;)

I don't worry too much about the minions at Google, I worry about third parties that might gain access to the audio stream.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if you play from a streaming souce on the net. I run a CCA that is completely isolated from the Internet.
How do you do that? A quick google search indicated it needed access to servers. Is there a trick involved? Do you need a 3rd party server like Plex?

Have you physically verified that?
Of course, its on the back of the current mini.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you do that? A quick google search indicated it needed access to servers. Is there a trick involved? Do you need a 3rd party server like Plex?

I use a local squeezebox server with a chromecast plugin.

Of course, its on the back of the current mini.

And you traced the circuitry?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. I figured the orange LEDs were proof, but perhaps those are messaging the street view cars.

Pretty sure the LEDs are controlled by the processor/software, not the hardware switch.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh I’m so confused. I run Audirvana+ on a Mac. I want bit-perfect streaming via WiFi to my DAC. Short of an Aurender or Linn box, what can I do?

BillG

Major Contributor

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to keep it inexpensive but still competent, I'd use the CCA with a mini-toslink (optical) cable into the DAC if it'll accept it. It'll be bit perfect up to and including 24/96:
I would but I don't think Audirvana will play nice with CCA, as CCA apparently requires AirPlay. At this point it seems only a Raspberry Pi will do what I want. Hard to believe. :(

BillG

Major Contributor
I would but I don't think Audirvana will play nice with CCA

Well, there's a way around that issue, if you're comfortable installing some Chromecast compatible software and configuring it - easy with what I'm about to recommend:

Install this server package on the Mac...

https://emby.media/mac-server.html

And this client app on your iPhone/iPad/Android...

https://emby.media/emby-for-ios.html
https://emby.media/emby-for-android-mobile.html

Enjoy... :cool:

By the way, I maintain a separate player and music server on my PC, as Windows doesn't play nice with CCA either. These applications are so resource sipping that I'm not putting an additional strain on the system. I suspect your Mac will handle it just fine also.

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
Great suggestion, thanks! I looked at the website. It sounds like I'd be replacing Audirvana with Emby. Do you know, will Audirvana still be controlling the bitstream?

No, Emby will be doing that when accessing your music via your home network. It's a simple file server, and will perform no DSP on its own, other than transcoding for incompatible formats. You can use it for local playback on your Mac, if you like, via its Web interface. But, I'd keep Audirvana installed for local as it will perform whatever DSP (EQ, resampling, etc.) you like for playback.

By the way, the freeware version of Emby is sufficient for most home users needs; the only significant feature missing is the ability to access your music from outside your home network... :cool:

BillG

Major Contributor
When I tested it in 2016, I did my first run using a computer to supply power. SNR was -85dBA with 16 bit audio. So I redid it using the included PS. It jumped to -97dBA. When I used 24 bit signals, it scored better than -104dBA.

I decided to run my CCA analog into a Klipsch PowerGate as the DAC on the latter isn't the best. It does sound better to my ears this way; there's a clarity to the sound that I don't recall hearing before - yeah, that's subjective but I think the performance measurements indicate that I would hear this.

Anyway, back to the supporting statement I was going to make about power supplies: when powering the CCA running analog via a USB port on another of my devices, I'd hear all sorts of whining and static even when not accessing a stream. The moment I powered it via its own packaged power supply, it was dead silent during the same situation. So indeed its included power supply does make a difference... :cool:

marco07

"I decided to run my CCA analog into a Klipsch PowerGate as the DAC on the latter isn't the best. It does sound better to my ears this way; there's a clarity to the sound that I don't recall hearing before - yeah, that's subjective but I think the performance measurements indicate that I would hear this."

Hi BillG, I know this post was awhile ago but I also have a CCA and Klipsch Powergate. You mentioned you thought you heard better audio quality from the Analog Out of the CCA into the Analog In of the Klipsch. Did you try the digital OUT on CCA to digital IN on Klipsch? Were you using a browser or an app?

I ask because I'm curious after reading on this site that the digital OUT on CCA being better quality than the Analog OUT (and yes, I also read that Klipsch DAC isn't the best) which of the two weaknesses in the system CCA-Klipsch is the lesser of 2 evils: CCADO-KDI/CCAAO-KAI.

Since I have a turntable connected thru Analog IN to my Klipsch I didn't have a chance to test the CCAAO-KAI in my system. I use the Hi-Fi Cast app from my Chromebook and phone to the CCADO-KDI and I think it sounds really good. After reading your comment I might try switching to analog and listen for a difference.

Thanks for any information you can provide :)

BillG

Major Contributor
I ask because I'm curious after reading on this site that the digital OUT on CCA being better quality than the Analog OUT (and yes, I also read that Klipsch DAC isn't the best) which of the two weaknesses in the system CCA-Klipsch is the lesser of 2 evils: CCADO-KDI/CCAAO-KAI.

The optical output on the CCA is intend better from an engineering perspective. However, its analog output is sufficient to pass Redbook transparently - the vast majority of my music library is of Redbook CD standard anyway.

I did run the CCA optical into PowerGate for quite some time before switching to analog. While auditory memory is notoriously poor, I seem to recall that when doing the former that the sound lacked a certain fullness. However, that doesn't indicate a flaw in the CCA, but rather the PowerGate, as the optical on former has been verified to be acceptable.

As for casting from a web browser, that's something that I rarely do. I'm usually streaming from my server - it runs Emby server (Windows) by the way - via an Android device running Emby client, Spotify, Internet Radio, or directly from the Android via Poweramp.

You're welcome...

Willem

Major Contributor
The Klipsch DAC indeed measured pretty poorly, and the one in the CCA did quite well, so you might just hear a small improvement by using the CCA analogue output. Heewver, you have to pay attention to the sensitivity of your amplifier's analogue input. The CCA has an optional so-called high dynamic range setting for the analogue output. This has nothing to do with dynamic range, but raises output level from the default 1.2 (?) Volt to 2.0 Volt. This is useful if your analogue input is optimised for that standard, but if not, your amplifier's input may clip.
My second remark concerns casting from a browser tab. This is not a good idea and has been demonstrated to seriously degrade the signal. Just cast from the App on your phone, because in that case once the connection has been made, the actual signal will go directly from your router to the CCA rather than having the signal go through your computer.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anybody found a better alternative than CCA? I need to set up streaming to three separate rooms, can I have the same music playing in each? How would I control the volume in each room?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgive me if this has been covered. It's still possible to buy a new Chromecast Audio on Ebay for $45, including US shipping (make an offer to the guy selling hundreds for $50 each and he'll accept it). But, what about the new versions with an HDMI our that are a little cheaper? How can you pull 2-channel audio off of the those? And how is the quality?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Part 2: @amirm, have you tested the casting capability of the Google Home app recently? It should just direct the Chromecast module to pull a bit-perfect stream directly from WiFi. I'm hoping they've fixed any bugs that resulted in the degraded performance you measured previously.

Top Bottom