• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Analog Performance

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't underestimate the important of using the supplied Chromecast Audio power supply. When I tested it in 2016, I did my first run using a computer to supply power. SNR was -85dBA with 16 bit audio. So I redid it using the included PS. It jumped to -97dBA. When I used 24 bit signals, it scored better than -104dBA.

That said, I'm in Australia so the PS may not necessarily be identical (although I do think that it's multivoltage).
Yes, 5V/1A output is necessary to get to 2V output, makes a huge difference.

jeepwrangler

I'm kind of going crazy here. I have a CCA connected to an SMSL AD18 over Toslink.
I'm adding a sub which leaves me with only 1 Toslink left, which is occupied by my TV.

I have a few options:
  1. - Just connect the CCA to the SMSL via AUX. My issue is that the SMSL converts AUX analog to digital then back to analog, which could affect sound quality.
  2. - Buy a Toslink to Coax converter. I'm not sure if that'll introduce jitter or quality issues, though.
  3. - Instead just plug in my TV via AUX, but who knows how garbage the DAC in my TCL TV is?
Any suggestions?

RosalieTheDog

I'm kind of going crazy here. I have a CCA connected to an SMSL AD18 over Toslink.
I'm adding a sub which leaves me with only 1 Toslink left, which is occupied by my TV.

I have a few options:
  1. - Just connect the CCA to the SMSL via AUX. My issue is that the SMSL converts AUX analog to digital then back to analog, which could affect sound quality.
  2. - Buy a Toslink to Coax converter. I'm not sure if that'll introduce jitter or quality issues, though.
  3. - Instead just plug in my TV via AUX, but who knows how garbage the DAC in my TCL TV is?
Any suggestions?
Nr. 2 for your TV. That's what I do with my DAC with one optical and one Coaxial input: Chromecast via Toslink, TV converted to COA in DAC. Works fine. I got one of those €20 converters from Audiophonics.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nr. 2 for your TV. That's what I do with my DAC with one optical and one Coaxial input: Chromecast via Toslink, TV converted to COA in DAC. Works fine. I got one of those €20 converters from Audiophonics.
+1 on this. The converters I used worked fine (but need a micro USB power supply). Means you can use the oft unused coax sockets on kit. I can't promise it doesn't introduce measurable defects but I couldn't hear them if so.

Top Bottom