• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Analog Performance

Jimster480

Major Contributor
has anyone tested this against a Modi 2 Uber? I know that thing measures horrible. I'm trying to decide if it's worth selling the Modi and just using the analog output of the Chromecast.
There is a measurement of the chromecast audio output. Check that against the measurement of the Modi 2 uber.

Generally Schiit products have been horrible through USB, but through optical it may be a different story.

trotos

hi all,
how exactly one can use roon/volumio or anything else to drive chromecast? what is the connection? I use it to connect spotify to it, or other streaming app from my android phone via wi-fi? are there more audio friendly options?

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
hi all,
how exactly one can use roon/volumio or anything else to drive chromecast? what is the connection? I use it to connect spotify to it, or other streaming app from my android phone via wi-fi? are there more audio friendly options?

Just "cast" from your source to the chromecast. The chromecast uses WiFi (also can use ethernet if you buy the optional power source with ethernet).
I'd say chromecast is the most user friendly out of all the alternatives.

trotos

Just "cast" from your source to the chromecast. The chromecast uses WiFi (also can use ethernet if you buy the optional power source with ethernet).
I'd say chromecast is the most user friendly out of all the alternatives.
OK, I though that you could connect it to lets say raspberry's usb port and use it as DAC. Also it appears that a coaxial/toslink/optical can be used? Again I am confused, nothing like that in mine.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
OK, I though that you could connect it to lets say raspberry's usb port and use it as DAC. Also it appears that a coaxial/toslink/optical can be used? Again I am confused, nothing like that in mine.
There was a chromecast audio version which could output TOSlink via Optical which you could then pipe into a DAC and whatever else you wanted... but they discontinued chromecast audio now.

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor

The Chromecast audio can output either digital through Toslink or analog through RCA. In both cases the input on the Chromecast is the 3.5 mm connection. If you already have a Chromecast you need a 3.5 mm to Toslink cable to connect to a DAC.

jeroboam

1565274508693.png

jeroboam

The Chromecast audio can output either digital through Toslink or analog through RCA. In both cases the input on the Chromecast is the 3.5 mm connection. If you already have a Chromecast you need a 3.5 mm to Toslink cable to connect to a DAC.

Im using the one shown above many others are availabile.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Has google said anything about how long the chromecast audio will be supported for?

Willem

Major Contributor
No but the protocol is built into many Chromecast compatible devices.

Last edited:

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
Has google said anything about how long the chromecast audio will be supported for?

couldn't find any info. My guess is maybe 2022 or so. at some point it will no longer receive updates or will receive an update that bricks it, like the one they send for certain nest devices. In either case, one day the cast protocol will change and the chromecast will no longer work

trotos

and then there is always the xda-developers that will always provide us with functioned custom rom.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am sure that would happen if Google pulled the plug. If not, there will be alternatives like the HK.

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
Given the number of devices being released currently with Chromecast built-in, I don't see that happening anytime in the near future... :cool:

Each device has it's own firmware and software. At some point there will be an update to the Chromecast protocol and this device will not be updated

Willem

Major Contributor
We don't know. In Google's press release they said they would continue to support the CCA.

BillG

Major Contributor
Each device has it's own firmware and software

Let's dissect this for a moment: Each device is accessed and controlled via Google Home, regardless of whether it's Chromecast Audio, or Generation 1, 2, or 3 Video, the Ultra, or Chromecast built-in. As for the firmware, they all run some variant of Chrome OS.

Given my experience as a consulting software engineer, I feel quite confident that the firmware simply disables various codecs based upon the state of some hardware register, which would inform it as the whether the device actually supports audio/video or just audio. That's exactly how I'd code it if I were in charge of the project, as it would make everyone's job much easier only having to maintain one code base across various dongles.

Based upon all the above, I'm quite confident that the protocol, and the various dongles that utilize it, will be usable for years, if not decades, to come... :cool:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears the not yet released new Google Nest Mini may be a suitable ChromeCast Audio Replacement.

A 3.5mm stereo analog output added. It will probably lack the optical output, but if the new Nest Mini measures as well as the CCA analog outs, there would be little difference in sound quality.

Top Bottom