• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
... The current amp is a Mac MC312 and i don't know if the meters are accurate but they often swing between 30-300 depending on the track, rarely close to 300. ...
Those meters are log scale. Half way between 30 and 300 is 100. So, much above that, into an 8 ohm load, you would be starting to clip on the AHB2.

granosalis

Hello, Giuseppe here, this is my first post.
After buying the DAC3B I felt so in love with it that now I'm planning to build a entire Benchmark stack togheter with HPA4 and AHB2.
I have the Tannoy Canterbury Gold Reference. What do you thin about pairing with the AHB2? One or two in bridged mono?
I searched the internet but it seems that no one has a Benchmark / Tannoy system. Thanks in advance.
Giuseppe

Puska

All Im asking is Sound quallity out of alternative amplifier to ahb2.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Accept no substitutes :p

Honestly, this is not the website for audiophile poetry.
Subjectively, I prefer the AHB2's to all amps I have had before including: Parasound Ax1's, ATI6000, Outlaw, and Sunfire.

- Rich

ex audiophile

Forum Donor

This is such a thorny subject that most folks don't even want to start. Please remember that the quality of what you hear is due largely to the quality of the recording you are listening to, your speakers, and the acoustics of your room. Electronic components like DACs and amps are of course important but MUCH LESS influential. Given that background, comparing one amp to another is very difficult in that blind comparisons that are properly set up and done are almost non existent (to my knowledge). the AHB2 is superb because it introduces zero audible noise/distortion and so does not influence the sound at all. I would argue that many quality amps also create inaudible noise/distortion and so would be indistinguishable from the AHB2. In general you want the most powerful amp you can afford, so long as it does not introduce audible distortion. The efficiency of your speakers, size of your room and your listening level are all factors that impact this decision. I would strongly encourage you to watch the Audioholics video "Are expensive amplifiers better than cheap amplifiers" to get a nice overview of the topic.

Puska

From the experience the amplifiers influence the sound a lot. I have had owned a lot. Just to number some quad 303, quad 405, quad 909, Stellar m700, Tube el34, tube kt88. Each one had different sound.
I do believe that distortion is a main factor but also electronic components, the signal path etc.
My question was and still is if Hypex nc400 is alternative to ahb2 soundwise. The messurmants are impressive
But did somebody actually tested it in listening room? What are the impressions?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have both here, and honestly I can’t tell the difference between them, they are both excellent designs.
Keith

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I subscribe to a photo website, Ken Rockwell, who incidentally reviews a little audio gear. Here are excerpts from his tube amplifier observations.

Parenthetically, I have bridged ABH2s for my Harbeth 40.1s. I do think he makes a good point.

“Tube amplifiers sound better because of the euphonic distortions they add to the music, as well as plenty of other reasons I'll cover below.

Tube amplifiers measure poorly in the lab specifically because of these added distortions, but these distortions are often a part of what make them sound better.

Tube amplifiers have much more distortion than solid-state amplifiers, but most of it is second-order, which is quite musical. That's why it's called "harmonic" distortion.
Second-harmonic distortion is exactly the same note, an octave above. Ditto for higher-order even harmonics; they are also the same note more octaves above.
Even-order harmonic distortion can be so pleasant that back in the 1970s the Aphex Aural Exciter was very popular in recording and broadcast specifically because it was designed to generate and add these harmonic distortions! You can still buy it today”

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Second-harmonic distortion is exactly the same note, an octave above. Ditto for higher-order even harmonics; they are also the same note more octaves above.

That is not entirely correct.

Octaves (same note) of 100Hz:

100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, etc. Each octave doubles the frequency

Even harmonic series:

100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, etc. They are not all octaves.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I subscribe to a photo website, Ken Rockwell, who incidentally reviews a little audio gear. Here are excerpts from his tube amplifier observations.

I hope he's good at photography.

D

Deleted member 65

This is such a thorny subject that most folks don't even want to start. Please remember that the quality of what you hear is due largely to the quality of the recording you are listening to, your speakers, and the acoustics of your room. Electronic components like DACs and amps are of course important but MUCH LESS influential. Given that background, comparing one amp to another is very difficult in that blind comparisons that are properly set up and done are almost non existent (to my knowledge). the AHB2 is superb because it introduces zero audible noise/distortion and so does not influence the sound at all. I would argue that many quality amps also create inaudible noise/distortion and so would be indistinguishable from the AHB2. In general you want the most powerful amp you can afford, so long as it does not introduce audible distortion. The efficiency of your speakers, size of your room and your listening level are all factors that impact this decision. I would strongly encourage you to watch the Audioholics video "Are expensive amplifiers better than cheap amplifiers" to get a nice overview of the topic.

It sure is.

Swedish AES with their Before/After method using the newly constructed comparator level matching DUT’s @ <0.05 dB is about the only I’m aware of.

1581336679153.jpeg

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I hope he's good at photography.

I think he makes a point re. Tubes. Nelson Pass apparently adds second harmonics deliberately in his designs. I chose Benchmark gear because of the confidence it does not do anything to the signal; I do not have to think about it at all.

The new Speaker Reviews address what, I think, is the most variable of the pieces of our systems. Amir deserves our moral and FINANCIAL support in his efforts.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
“Tube amplifiers sound better because of the euphonic distortions they add to the music, as well as plenty of other reasons I'll cover below.

Tube amplifiers measure poorly in the lab specifically because of these added distortions, but these distortions are often a part of what make them sound better.
The term "sound better" should be replaced with "sound more pleasant and enjoyable to me." Euphonic distortions are distortions and not "better."

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Unfortunately, a few minutes looking at actual distortion spectra of tube amps will disabuse the notion of “second order is what makes them sound good.”

Nelson is a good guy and a friend , but I think he’s totally off base on this euphonic distortion stuff.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Would you post up some valve amp distortion spectra if you have them to hand?
Thanks,
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Perhaps in the Tube vs Solid state thread?
Thanks,
Keith

Top Bottom