• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Audio Measurement of LG G7 ThinQ Smartphone

High impedance mode is for driving high impedance headphones, such as a pair of 300 ohm headphones - anything 50 ohms to 600 ohms. This mode puts out two volts RMS. Auxiliary mode is for driving the inputs of audio equipment, such as headphones amplifiers, and puts out one volt RMS. These inputs usually have an impedance in the tens of kilohms.

so if i unplug my headphone 2.5 and enter the aux mode. would the 4 quad still be working? am i just lossing some loudness because now only 1 RMS?

D

Deleted member 5035

so if i unplug my headphone 2.5 and enter the aux mode. would the 4 quad still be working? am i just lossing some loudness because now only 1 RMS?
The quad DAC works as long as anything is plugged into the headphones jack. You can check that it is on, in your phone's settings. There is also a cheap app, called HiFi Status that you might want to get.

The quad DAC works as long as anything is plugged into the headphones jack. You can check that it is on, in your phone's settings. There is also a cheap app, called HiFi Status that you might want to get.

yeah i know. i just want to know the sound quality difference between aux mode and high mode.

The only difference is the voltage. The Quad DAC operates in both modes, and nothing else about the sound tonality changes.

right. thanks a lot michael. haha. then i should be able to run my hifiman he400s (about 30ohm) on lg then. 1 vol less i guess i will just have to boost the volume all the way then. hope all 4 dac unit will run at aux mode

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
run at aux mode
There are 3 modes.

For max 2v out, you want 'high impedance' mode. Default is 0.5v with typical 32-ohm HP, an EU requirement. Then 1v -- 'aux' - triggered with a true hi impedance load like an amp, and finally, the mis-nomer 2v 'hi-impedance' mode -which isn't. It's triggered with a 200-600 ohm load

The trick is a small 3.5mm male to female extender, and a 200-or so resistive load in series temporarily with your 32 ohm hp.

As soon as you remove the 3.5mm male from the LG - it resets. Why you need the extender. See:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...rement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/page-15

There are 3 modes.

For max 2v out, you want 'high impedance' mode. Default is 0.5v with typical 32-ohm HP, an EU requirement. Then 1v -- 'aux' - triggered with a true hi impedance load like an amp, and finally, the mis-nomer 2v 'hi-impedance' mode -which isn't. It's triggered with a 200-600 ohm load

The trick is a small 3.5mm male to female extender, and a 200-or so resistive load in series temporarily with your 32 ohm hp.

As soon as you remove the 3.5mm male from the LG - it resets. Why you need the extender. See:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...rement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/page-15

what i dont have is a impedence plug.. this is crazy but those are so expensive on amazon here in canada. also takes forever to ship from the us too. that's why i want to use the aux mode.

any one know what's the power out put of the amp? it only says 2vrms max. but how about the mW output ?
IF i use max volume (75) in high impedence mode which means the out put at 2vrms does it creates any distortion?
how much distortion?

i am using he400s which i found sounds much better using the dx3 pro as an amp then a lgg8. i guess the distortion really high when 2vrms output? thanks

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using a SanDisk Sansa Clip for many years now, currently on my second. Don't remember the size of the memory chip I have in it but it holds loads of lossless flac files along with high bit rate (open sourced) ogg vorbis files. Both sound great played back on my Grado SR80's or the pool side boom box. :p
41yqlipUq4L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
I have 2 of those-one of which died mysteriously for no good reason. Sound is OK but the output is so anemic it's difficulty to find IEM's it can drive to acceptable levels.

capslock

Does anyone have a link to a list of LG smartphones by ESS dac they use? Although I used to own the G2 and G3, I lost track of their lineup, especially since they decided to have a dual flagship series (G and V). To make things more confusing, e.g. the G6 used the ESS dacs only in Asia and America.

Is there a model with the 9038 DAC?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Not 100% sure if you are asking about amp for the 3.5mm out, but if so, I have used an NX3s with my HE400i. Works great.

AllanDavidson

Not 100% sure if you are asking about amp for the 3.5mm out, but if so, I have used an NX3s with my HE400i. Works great.

Yep, connecting an amp on the 3.5mm audio out, and using the USB-C as a power source for the amp. The Quad DAC itself is very decent, the only problem is the weak output of the amp.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Does the G8 have the same variable max output as the G7/V20. ?

That is, there are 3 output levels, 0.5v for low impedance, 1.0v for line level/very high impedance, and 2.0v for the misnomered 'high impedance' triggered by a 200-600 ohm load.

Check earlier in this thread if you are unaware.. But depending on your HP, you might avoid the extra amp by 'tricking' the G8 into 2.0v (if it works the same).

You need a short 3.5mm male to female extension. Then a 200ohm or so 'attenuator'. You plug in the extension, then the attenuator, then your HP. You should see an icon 'high impedance'. Now remove the attenuator. Do not remove the extension from the phone. Plug the HP into the extension. It now sees a 2.0v max.

AllanDavidson

That is, there are 3 output levels, 0.5v for low impedance, 1.0v for line level/very high impedance, and 2.0v for the misnomered 'high impedance' triggered by a 200-600 ohm load.

Check earlier in this thread if you are unaware.. But depending on your HP, you might avoid the extra amp by 'tricking' the G8 into 2.0v (if it works the same).

You need a short 3.5mm male to female extension. Then a 200ohm or so 'attenuator'. You plug in the extension, then the attenuator, then your HP. You should see an icon 'high impedance'. Now remove the attenuator. Do not remove the extension from the phone. Plug the HP into the extension. It now sees a 2.0v max.

Yep, I'm aware of the whole shebang, I'm just looking for a portable HPA that can be fed by the USB (or have its own battery).

Many recommended me combos like Oppo HA-2, but their dac is even worse than the one in the phone.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yep, I'm aware of the whole shebang, I'm just looking for a portable HPA that can be fed by the USB (or have its own battery).

Many recommended me combos like Oppo HA-2, but their dac is even worse than the one in the phone.
Topping used to have one that was fairly good.
There is also that altoids can custom portable amp you could build :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Perhaps look at the Qudelix 5k.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I learnt this trick with my LG V30, but just leave the short extension cable in. I can't measure the effect, but it consistently boosts the volume into whatever phones I'm using. I wonder of LG improved the output amp in the V30, as I use mine with low impedance Grados, and can drive them to some reasonably impressive levels. Intrigued that it's possibly? capable of rendering MQA, but no way of checking this with the OS settings AFAICT

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Mates I'm looking to retire my phone and use it as a DAP, can you bring me up to speed. I have a FIIO Q5 am i good to go just plugging it into that?

Top Bottom