• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Audio Measurement of LG G7 ThinQ Smartphone

JohnnyR

I have the lg g7 (European variant) and i found the volume pretty low even in high impedance mode. I tested it with a pair of Sennheiser hd 600 and one Sennheiser hd 660s. The 660s goes loud but i wouldn't say extremely loud and the 600 are not loud enough even at max volume. I was wondering this is a problem with limitted volume on Euopean variants? Becuase i read people saying they can't go to max volume because it gets too loud even with hd 800 (with quad dac off there are bassically whispers but i am not enough pleased with quad dac volume though). Is root going to help or other method, or I have to buy an US variant?

bravomail

I have the lg g7 (European variant) and i found the volume pretty low even in high impedance mode. I tested it with a pair of Sennheiser hd 600 and one Sennheiser hd 660s. The 660s goes loud but i wouldn't say extremely loud and the 600 are not loud enough even at max volume. I was wondering this is a problem with limitted volume on Euopean variants? Becuase i read people saying they can't go to max volume because it gets too loud even with hd 800 (with quad dac off there are bassically whispers but i am not enough pleased with quad dac volume though). Is root going to help or other method, or I have to buy an US variant?
u gotta root and then force high amplification.

Cahudson42

This is now a 15 page thread to wade thru, so it's easy to miss. But there is a workaround to get 'high impedance' 2v output w/o rooting. It's explained earlier, but here it is again:
1. Get one of these:
Josi Minea x 3 Pcs 3.5mm Audio Jack Extender Headphone Adapter with 4-Pole 3.5mm Connectors (3 Ring Jack) for Apple iPhone 6/6S/6+/5S/SE iPad Samsung Galaxy S7/S6 & Most Phones & Tablets [ 3 Pack ] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTND45R/

2. Then one of these:

FAAEAL Conductor Earphone Impedance Plug 80 220 ohm Noise Cancelling Adapter 3.5mm Jack Professional Reduce Noise Filter Plug (220 Ohm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FM8GJL4/

Plug the extender in. Plug the impedance plug in. Plug in your headphones. Turn on LG. It should switch to hi impedance. Remove impedance plug. Do not remove extension. Plug phones into extension. You now have hi impedance.

However , I recommend you do not use low efficiency low impedance phones direct. Instead, use a 3.5mm to rca, plugged into the #1 adapter and a HP amp - Atom, Heresy, etc. I use a Liquid Spark, plenty of output to run my HE400I in low gain..

You can also get it to switch to a 1V output simply by plugging a 3.5mm to RCA, connected to your Atom etc. directly into the LG (w/o any adapters/extension). When the LG 'sees' the Amp input impedance, it switches to 'line out,'/1v mode. Most HP amps will be fine with this.

JohnnyR

This is now a 15 page thread to wade thru, so it's easy to miss. But there is a workaround to get 'high impedance' 2v output w/o rooting. It's explained earlier, but here it is again:
1. Get one of these:
Josi Minea x 3 Pcs 3.5mm Audio Jack Extender Headphone Adapter with 4-Pole 3.5mm Connectors (3 Ring Jack) for Apple iPhone 6/6S/6+/5S/SE iPad Samsung Galaxy S7/S6 & Most Phones & Tablets [ 3 Pack ] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTND45R/

2. Then one of these:

FAAEAL Conductor Earphone Impedance Plug 80 220 ohm Noise Cancelling Adapter 3.5mm Jack Professional Reduce Noise Filter Plug (220 Ohm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FM8GJL4/

Plug the extender in. Plug the impedance plug in. Plug in your headphones. Turn on LG. It should switch to hi impedance. Remove impedance plug. Do not remove extension. Plug phones into extension. You now have hi impedance.

However , I recommend you do not use low efficiency low impedance phones direct. Instead, use a 3.5mm to rca, plugged into the #1 adapter and a HP amp - Atom, Heresy, etc. I use a Liquid Spark, plenty of output to run my HE400I in low gain..

You can also get it to switch to a 1V output simply by plugging a 3.5mm to RCA, connected to your Atom etc. directly into the LG (w/o any adapters/extension). When the LG 'sees' the Amp input impedance, it switches to 'line out,'/1v mode. Most HP amps will be fine with this.

I read about this, and as far as I understood this trick is for low impedance HP. My issue was that I tested it with high impedance headphones which trick the high impedance mode but the volume is not loud enough on some HP in high impedance mode. The amp seems limited because it's not loud in high impedance as a 2V amp should be. As an approximation, i guess is limited around 1.2-1.3 V. I have a 2V output sound card and is definitely louder than the g7 high impedance mode. I was curious if there is another method to solve except root but i don't think there is.

Top Bottom