• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The realization that my desktop is my primary system...Please help me make it better!

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Switch from speakers to near field monitors. You have room behind your speakers for rear ported monitors. You could run Adam Audio T7V Monitors with a T10S sub. But, if you listen primarily to music, then maybe T8V monitors w/o sub. I like my T7Vs a whole lot!

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
If you can get your speakers off your desk, and on wood or metal stands beside, that's an experiment worth trying. Wider soundstage and less vibration with the desk. That's how my workroom system is set up. Then re-evaluate the ELACs.

I wonder about stacking your NADs the way you have. Maybe use some cut plastic conduit feet to raise the top amp up at least 2" away from the bottom one? Better ventilation of heat for longevity, as those are nice amps.

nerdemoji

Would the KEF Q150 be more of a lateral upgrade? I would prefer to make a solid jump up in performance.

I'm still trying to understand the nuances of the scoring but the Q150's have a PS of 4.9, whereas the UB52's have a PS of 5.6.
There is more to speaker measurements than Preference Score, and in some cases (especially yours) it is misleading.

Preference comes mainly from Flatness and -6db LFE (the bass extension at minus 6 decibels from flat. Despite similar extension in bass, the KEF Q150 scores worse because the roll off of the Elacs is just barely slow enough to extend 5 or 6 hz lower by this metric. This is increasing the score significantly, but this does not matter for you because you have subs.

Directivity is more even for the Kefs (especially in the vertical) and the overall flatness of the response is better. The main problem with the KEF Q150 is that it is slightly upper treble heavy and it has port leakage (seen by the resonances at around 900 and 1100 hz. This is easily fixed because you have a sub, so just seal them and cross over at around 100 hz.

The spinorama data alone doesn't tell the full story either. The Elac has a resonance problem (or 2), mainly at 585 hz, which are in the most audible range according to both Erin and Amir (both the tone and harmonics are in a human's best hearing range). This is a problem.

Overall both speakers are good though, and when put into a room, are probably relatively close in quality of sound. BUT, with room correction software and an active crossover like I mentioned, the linearity and tonality are greatly increased.

OP
mad_matt

mad_matt

Keep it coming, this is great!

My speakers are resting on these isolation pads, and they are slightly canted upwards, which is hard to see in the pictures. My guess is the tweeters are probably aimed an inch or so below my ears.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Consider allocating about $80 of your budget towards a calibrated microphone like miniDSP's UMIK-1 - that you may not fully use

After acquiring the microphone, download and install Dirac Live and use their 14-day free trial period to see how it affects your current set-up

If you like what Dirac does, it is my understanding (I may be wrong) you can move your laptop and microphone to your living room to measure and create Room EQ filters with Dirac Live that could be deployed by connecting your MacBook Pro to your 'big system'. Dirac has offered a 30 percent discount on previous Black Fridays.

Erin of Erin's Audio Corner has generally positive comments about Monoprice's Monolith THX-certified Satellite Loudspeakers with a $250 list price - but I do not know if they can get loud enough before compression artifacts and distortion become audible.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/monoprice_comp_thx_sat/

OP
mad_matt

mad_matt

In terms of listening preference, I like natural, flat speakers. These Elac's sounds rolled off to me on the top end, which was also found to be the case in the review on this site. From an SPL perspective, I find that most of the time I'm in the 60-75db level, with occasions of going higher.

This system is 100% for music and I listen to pretty much everything, but lots of world, jazz, blues, classical, reggae, and bluegrass.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep it coming, this is great!

My speakers are resting on these isolation pads, and they are slightly canted upwards, which is hard to see in the pictures. My guess is the tweeters are probably aimed an inch or so below my ears.
There is nothing wrong with your system. A little EQ can improve almost any setup. That is the only place to look.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these your speakers?

If so Not sure you can EQ those very easily.

If you want to stay with passive the Ascend Sierra 1 V2 might be worth a look.

You can find Others to consider here.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
For desktop use I would 100% recommend an active monitor. Inexpensive options include Kali
At $800 USD MSRP, the "2nd Wave" Kali IN-8s are untouchable at their price point . These are 3-way active monitors with an 8 inch woofer and a coincident (concentric/coaxial) cone-mid/dome-tweeter. I have mine on Gator adjustable-height desk stands. The smaller IN-5 is nearly as good at $700/pair MSRP -- same mid/tweeter, smaller woofer and enclosure. You can continue to use your current sub for now, but IMO something a tad beefier -- but still fairly compact and reasonably priced -- like a Kali WS-6.2 (preferred because it would allow you to have all-XLR interconnects) or an SVS SB-1000 would be an improvement.

OP
mad_matt

mad_matt

Are these your speakers?

Yep, those are my speakers. Your comment on the EQ is why I am leaning towards picking up new speakers, and those Ascend Sierra 1 V2 look SWEET!

OP
mad_matt

mad_matt

At $800 USD MSRP, the "2nd Wave" Kali IN-8s are untouchable at their price point . These are 3-way active monitors with an 8 inch woofer and a coincident (concentric/coaxial) cone-mid/dome-tweeter. I have mine on Gator adjustable-height desk stands. The smaller IN-5 is nearly as good at $700/pair MSRP -- same mid/tweeter, smaller woofer and enclosure. You can continue to use your current sub for now, but IMO something a tad beefier -- but still fairly compact and reasonably priced -- like a Kali WS-6.2 (preferred because it would allow you to have all-XLR interconnects) or an SVS SB-1000 would be an improvement.
Is this the same speaker?

OP
mad_matt

mad_matt

I'm not too worried about upgrading the sub yet. When the time comes I will move my Rythmik L12 into the office and upgrade to a Rythmik F12 in the larger space.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are the first generation. The second generation has slightly lower noise. I don't know if the noise is actually a problem or not; if your room is very quiet you may want to get the v2.

If you have a sub, look at the in-5, which plays almost as loud and deep but is much smaller and costs less. Same mid/tweeter. There is no v1/v2 for the in-5, by the way, only one version.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

No, that is the previous version, discontinued a couple of years ago -- that's why the price is so low. The "2nd Wave" revision, AKA "IN-8v2," is considerably better, especially with regard to noise level, largely due to improved ICs -- the old ones had quite a bit of hiss, similar in that respect to your previous JBLs. You can also tell the older ones by their shinier woofer cones.

HQY

With that budget, you are within reach of the Neumann KH80 DSP, which is extremely well behaved.

index.php
Vote for Kh80.

Digby

Major Contributor
Would the "soundstage" bother you if the speakers were hanging on the wall above, and pointed down at you? (That kind of thing doesn't bother me and my rear speakers in my home theater system are large "floor standers" hanging near the ceiling above the couch.)
Pictures of this setup?

Digby

Major Contributor
I'm still trying to understand the nuances of the scoring but the Q150's have a PS of 4.9, whereas the UB52's have a PS of 5.6.
AFAICS the scoring is a rough metric for what most people would prefer, it won't tell you what you will prefer. There are plenty of people that prefer (somewhat) lower scored speakers, because everybody's objectives/tastes are different. It is helpful, but I wouldn't let it dictate my purchases.

OP
mad_matt

mad_matt

Quick update: I have installed SoundSource / ARC System 3 and a microphone is inbound. I am excited to hear what correction software can do.

OP
mad_matt

mad_matt

I wonder about stacking your NADs the way you have. Maybe use some cut plastic conduit feet to raise the top amp up at least 2" away from the bottom one? Better ventilation of heat for longevity, as those are nice amps.
Good call, I went down to the hardware store this AM and got some PVC pipe sections to separate the two amps better.

IMG_7627.jpeg

Does anyone have experience with fans like this AC Infinity AIRCOM S7? Do they move enough air in the lowest (quietest) setting to make a difference?

Top Bottom