• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 for $650 or F208 for $2250

MusicEater

Hello Audioscience community,

I'm very new to the audiophile scene and had a few questions. I moved into a new home with a home theater room size: 20.3 ft X 16 ft X 8.9 ft (WidthXLengthXHeight)
I will be playing mostly movies with some music probably a 60/40 split.

I have been doing some research into the best budget speakers to get and have landed on either the Revel Concerta2 M16 or the M106. However, I have the ability to buy a used set of F208's for around $2250usd.

I am also open to other speakers that would fit what the M16's can do for the price. My question is would be, is it worth it to upgrade to the F208's or will the M16's be fine

PS: I have also ordered the RSL Speedwoofer 12S

Thank you!

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR,

I use M16's with a subwoofer for music and movies with stereo or mono soundtracks. I think you would be fine with M16's in conjunction with a subwoofer. Otherwise I would choose the F208's.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR,

I use M16's with a subwoofer for music and movies with stereo or mono soundtracks. I think you would be fine with M16's in conjunction with a subwoofer. Otherwise I would choose the F208's.
I ditto that. As you will be mainly watching films, you will need a subwoofer anyway. If it was me I would go with 3x M16 as LCR.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
That IS a great price on F208's. Consider whether the space can benefit from room treatment. Others at ASR are better versed at making suggestions in that regard.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

I'm very new to the audiophile scene and had a few questions. I moved into a new home with a home theater room size: 20.3 ft X 16 ft X 8.9 ft (WidthXLengthXHeight)

I have been doing some research into the best budget speakers to get and have landed on either the Revel Concerta2 M16 or the M106. However, I have the ability to buy a used set of F208's for around $2250usd.

I am also open to other speakers that would fit what the M16's can do for the price. My question is would be, is it worth it to upgrade to the F208's or will the M16's be fine

Thank you!
Your prefered playback level is a factor.

The M16's should be high passed if playing loudly(bass removed via bass management/active X-over/DSP/PEQ), not just supplemented with the sub.
If you do that they can hang to pretty loud levels. My room is a resonable similar size 12x23.5 same ceilings, does have two openeings that can not be closed..

That deal on the F208's is nice and simply due to that I would likely jump now.
That said if urgency is not a factor would go with 2 subs, and the M106's. Wait for the M106's to be in stock at Music Direct 'B' stock is often $1200 a pair and they sometimes have 10% additional off of open box which works with B stock - so $1080 a pair.

B-stock M16's have been as low as $500 and B-stock F206's(smaller than 208's but these would be a great option) as low as $2020-10% for a pair. https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/speakers/revel-f206-tower-speakers-walnut-pair-b-stock/

OP
M

MusicEater

The M16's should be high passed if playing loudly(bass removed via bass management/active X-over/DSP/PEQ), not just supplemented with the sub.
If you do that they can hang to pretty loud levels. My room is a resonable similar size 12x23.5 same ceilings, does have two openeings that can not be closed..

That said if urgency is not a factor would go with 2 subs, and the M106's. Wait for the M106's to be in stock at Music Direct 'B' stock is often $1200 a pair and they sometimes have 10% additional off of open box which works with B stock - so $1080 a pair.

B-stock M16's have been as low as $500 and B-stock F206's(smaller than 208's but these would be a great option) as low as $2020-10% for a pair. https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/speakers/revel-f206-tower-speakers-walnut-pair-b-stock/
This is great and valuable information. I will decide if I want to use the room now or wait for the B stock option. Thank you I do appreciate you taking the time to help!

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I know this isn't strictly topic related, but i want to thank you for the depth of information you share...you are a good source of info...

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you!
I would opt for the F208, in particular at that price. Both the M16 and the M106 are very good (I have had both). Large, floor standing speakers, project sound differently IMO. They can also play louder with lower distortion. So the real answer is F208 and subs :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Jump on the F208 :D
Do not hesitate. They're not usually found at that price...

My parting shot: I am of the advice to always use subwoofers in an audio system... at least a pair.

Peace.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Wow, thank you. Could you elaborate on the "-10% for a pair" part? Is that an occasional promotion?
Yes,
So Music Direct does 'Open Box' 10% off promo codes pretty regularly (1weekedn per month I'd say)I am on their mailing list so they email me but it is often posted on their main webpage landing page.
Like just this past weekend they did it.
So far all the 'B' stock stuff has worked with the open box promo codes for me.

I have ordered 3 Harman/Revel/JBL 'B' stock items so far. 2 were in unopened factory sealed regular boxes with no sign of 'B' stock anywhere. I think it it just another sales channel once an item has been out for awhile. The 3rd was in a 'B' stock/not regular retail box though it had zero signs of any use of any kind. So far I have been impressed with 'B' stock stuff. I have picked up a couple opened box items from them as well and it was perfect stuff. Obviously it had been opened and photographed for their Instagram or a customer return but it was mint stuff.

Cool thing is you can return it vs buying from a private seller. I have not returned anything yet but I think they make you pay return shipping, which is fair to me but something to factor in if towers are involved due to retun costs.

JohnnyNG

Yes,
So Music Direct does 'Open Box' 10% off promo codes pretty regularly (1weekedn per month I'd say)I am on their mailing list so they email me but it is often posted on their main webpage landing page.
Like just this past weekend they did it.
So far all the 'B' stock stuff has worked with the open box promo codes for me.

I have ordered 3 Harman/Revel/JBL 'B' stock items so far. 2 were in unopened factory sealed regular boxes with no sign of 'B' stock anywhere. I think it it just another sales channel once an item has been out for awhile. The 3rd was in a 'B' stock/not regular retail box though it had zero signs of any use of any kind. So far I have been impressed with 'B' stock stuff. I have picked up a couple opened box items from them as well and it was perfect stuff. Obviously it had been opened and photographed for their Instagram or a customer return but it was mint stuff.

Cool thing is you can return it vs buying from a private seller. I have not returned anything yet but I think they make you pay return shipping, which is fair to me but something to factor in if towers are involved due to retun costs.
Thank you!

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
What does bstock mean? And why are there 2 different prices on bstock F206s, $1349 vs $1010?

Top Bottom