• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Any views on how much clearance would you need from your front wall to accommodate the rear ports on the F328Be? Is it likely to be closer to inches or feet (or closer to 30cm or 1m for the vast majority of the planet)?

I pull them out from the front wall until the lower mids sound clear. Then I fix the bass boundary effect with EQ / DSP. I doubt the F328Be is terribly sensitive to front wall distance. Something like 16" should suffice, assuming you have correction tools available.

As an aside, part of the reason I chose the F206 for my media room is the front port. I thought this might be advantageous in my small, cube-shaped room. After working with them and comparing their measurements to those of the rear ported BMRs, I discovered no difference in excitement of room modes or anything else.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As an aside, part of the reason I chose the F206 for my media room is the front port. I thought this might be advantageous in my small, cube-shaped room.
That’s very interesting (and helpful). That’s exactly what I am thinking through as well.

Valentin R

I pull them out from the front wall until the lower mids sound clear. Then I fix the bass boundary effect with EQ / DSP. I doubt the F328Be is terribly sensitive to front wall distance. Something like 16" should suffice, assuming you have correction tools available.

As an aside, part of the reason I chose the F206 for my media room is the front port. I thought this might be advantageous in my small, cube-shaped room. After working with them and comparing their measurements to those of the rear ported BMRs, I discovered no difference in excitement of room modes or anything else.

The port tunning is in frecuencys that are very large
Compaired to the distance to the walls

Moving the speaker has more impact on bass response than just the port

Descartes

Major Contributor
I read that the F328Be cabinet vibrates and is not inert therefore coloring the sound?
How thick is it?
Compared to the B&W800Diamond is that B&W are rock solid!

“ The Downside
My biggest complaint with the F328Be remains the cabinet. While it functions just fine, it's the same cabinet as the non-Be series speakers and falls behind the competition in the finish of the touch points. I also noticed that I could feel more vibration from the side panels of the F328Be when playing bass-heavy music at louder volumes”
https://hometheaterreview.com/revel-f328be-floorstanding-speaker-review/

Valentin R

I read that the F328Be cabinet vibrates and is not inert therefore coloring the sound?
How thick is it?

“ The Downside
My biggest complaint with the F328Be remains the cabinet. While it functions just fine, it's the same cabinet as the non-Be series speakers and falls behind the competition in the finish of the touch points. I also noticed that I could feel more vibration from the side panels of the F328Be when playing bass-heavy music at louder volumes”

“While it works fine”. The proof is in the amplitud measurements .

If it was contributing in a harmful way it would show up in the spinoramas

Yes you can find in the market aluminum or exotic cabinet construction that are more rigid

But as a hole don’t come near the F328be

The 800Diamands for example are not neutral in frecuency response and have directivity problems

Thing you can easily hear and correlate in the spins

Just my opinion

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How thick is it?

“ The Downside
I agree with what Valentin said....if a resonance is "coloring" the sound, it would show up in the spin. More concerning, as he also mentioned, would be a speaker that is inherently colored on and off axis along with directivity issues.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How thick is it?

“ The Downside
If your going to quote, don’t leave out the last part of the sentence..

at louder volumes than I could with the Magico A3.

The internal bracing of the cabinets is designed to shift the resonant frequencies up to a point where the cabinet is not an efficient transducer, though, and I did not notice any cabinet coloration during my listening.”

Valentin R

So he is complaining of something he did not hear
It’s just a concept

Like saying all soft domes are better than metal domes because they don’t ring

Or three ways are always better than 2 ways
Etc etc etc

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So he is complaining of something he did not hear
It’s just a concept

Like saying all soft domes are better than metal domes because they don’t ring

Or three ways are always better than 2 ways
Etc etc etc
You get that a lot with discussion of Harbeth cabinets and materials. (although the design impact on dispersion is clearly measurable and should be audible)

CDJ123

I am very picky and have listened to far too many speakers to count. I own the F328Be’s and have to say that these are the best speakers I have ever owned (and I have owned more expensive speakers). The cabinets are not as solid as some; however it does not show up on the spins and they do sound fantastic. Revel does not put their efforts into “audiophile” type endeavors such as interesting styles or exotic cabinets. They focus on the sound. I honestly can’t see another speaker that can outperform them….but I do like the look of the Vivid Giya’s!

Descartes

Major Contributor
What is the optimal distance to listen to the F328Be?

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You get that a lot with discussion of Harbeth cabinets and materials. (although the design impact on dispersion is clearly measurable and should be audible)
And you have speakers like the JBL 708P which are made of relatively thin plastic and look quite ugly, but by all accounts sound excellent.

“ The Downside
My biggest complaint with the F328Be remains the cabinet. While it functions just fine, it's the same cabinet as the non-Be series speakers and falls behind the competition in the finish of the touch points.
I agree that Revel's aesthetic style and fit-and-finish is definitely nowhere near on the same level as brands like Focal, Sonus Faber, etc. However this is somewhat subjective, but most people do seem to agree.

What's interesting is that I think "most people" would rather just not see any speaker at all, so in many ways the Revel's grill-on look is just as good or better than many other speakers in practice, because they're so boring they just blend into the background. For example, someone thought my Revel Salon2's with the grill on were just a weird tower fan / air purifier.

And then at the other extreme end of this spectrum, there's the story (can't find the link though) of the person who bought a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers and never actually plugged them in, because he just liked the way they looked and wanted them to display as a modern art piece).

But I must say I still feel the appeal of some of the more beautiful (subjectively of course) speakers, like the Focal Sopra / Utopia speakers:

iu

Measurements aren't bad, either:

1616087126155.png

But even if someone measures them in the Klippel and confirms no other flaws, you certainly pay a huge price premium for these for the aesthetic and fit-and-finish.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
The Focal are very interesting looking very modern!
From my perspective esthetics are also very important if they are in a living room environment!
Now in a dedicated home theater it is a different story as one is focused on the image.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Focal are very interesting looking very modern!
From my perspective esthetics are also very important if they are in a living room environment!
Now in a dedicated home theater it is a different story as one is focused on the image.
I agree, but at a certain point you will be paying a >10x premium for the aesthetics. I thought the Salon2's are expensive (even when heavily discounted on sale), but that's not even in the same ballpark as the e.g. $250K/pair Focal Grande Utopia EM EVO speaker depicted above.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I agree, but at a certain point you will be paying a >10x premium for the aesthetics. I thought the Salon2's are expensive (even when heavily discounted on sale), but that's not even in the same ballpark as the e.g. $250K/pair Focal Grande Utopia EM EVO speaker depicted above.
Very true their prices are in the stratosphere unattainable by 99.9 % of the population!

Top Bottom